“Home away from Home”

Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
St. Albert, Canada
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stay at the Hotel Elan on business almost every week. The staff and service is exceptional. The rooms are very high quality with excellent features such as kitchens, balcony and fabolous bathrooms including state of the art showers and tubs.

The location is excellent and allows for strolling and sampling of the many dining experiences available on the adjacent 17th Avenue. Hotel Elan also serves abuffet breakfast each morning tht truly is a great start to the day.

The managers reception on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings hosted by Lewis Shaw ( Director of Sales) is an excellent networking opportunity and an opportunity to share a drink and snacks with other guests.

I truly call the Hotel Elan my "Home away from Home"

Room Tip: One or two bedroom suites all havy balconys that allow for outside seating during the summer months.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lewis S, Director of Sales at Hotel Elan, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you Doug for taking the time to submit your kind review.We are very honored that you consider Hotel Elan to be your "Home away from Home"! I believe a true test to our consistent customer service, delivery of our complimentary daily fresh breakfast and detailed housekeeping of all of our rooms and suites is continually monitored by the satisfaction of our repeat guests on every one of their stays. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back and I look forward to seeing you at the next managers reception!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

If you are looking for a hotel than can act as a short-term apartment in Calgary, Hotel Elan is fantastic. The rooms are brand new and spacious. The staff are friendly, the breakfast buffet was more than expected, the cocktails and apps on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are great with tasty food, beer and wine served. Finally, the staff were friendly and always were looking to find ways to make our stay better. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for parking to be included.
1 Thank Wattybo
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
"Hotel Elan is fantastic"! I like reading comments like this about your experience while being guests at Hotel Elan. Our friendly staff certainly enjoy assisting our guests with options for dining, shopping to navigation tips of main arteries to assist in your driving and travel plans. I am pleased to see that you not only enjoyed our daily complimentary breakfast but also able to attend our "Appy Appreciation Hour" I host and served every Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Thanks for recommending our hotel!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite.
The hotel is on the small side but the inside is very modern and the room was great.
It even had a little exercise room.
Could have used a 2nd bathroom and a hide a bed in the living room but honestly this is where I'll stay on my next visit.
The parking garage is tight and if people park badly you may have trouble parking.
The front desk staff were great.
Business room is very good and loved the exercise room.
This one is a no brainer!
Great location and I asked for 12:00pm checkin and np.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wasntme58
Such a wise choice in staying in one of our Energizer two bedroom suites that is a total of 973 square feet. To answer your comment on the secured underground parking yes we are planning to have stalls assigned to each in house guest. Border lines will be repainted within the next couple of weeks which will encourage proper guest parking within their assigned stall. Thanks again for choosing to stay at Hotel Elan and taking the time to submit your review.
Scotland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It was a late decision for us to go back to Calgary and there wasn't a vast number of hotels with rooms available for four nights right in the middle of Stampede and, boy, did I get lucky when I booked this hotel!

We knew in advance that 17th SW between 10th and 11th was an excellent location. When we got there we found a recently converted/renovated hotel with beautiful, spacious suites that were well-equipped and well-furnished in a kind of Scandinavian minimalist style.

The staff were all unfailingly polite and helpful. I have to single out Amanda on front desk for a special mention - she couldn't do enough to help with transport suggestions and dining recommendations and even interrupted her lunch break to bail out one of her colleagues who didn't recognise my garbled description of Devonian Gardens mall (it had been 9 years and I'd forgotten the name) and then told me the easiest way to get there.

Hotel Elan exceeded my expectations by a country mile.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DM55
Thank you for your review and also acknowledging Amanda from our Front Desk team. She certainly enjoys being able to assist our guests and and how nice that you were able to revisit Devonian Gardens after it's massive renovation. We look forward to your next visit perhaps at next years Stampede?
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I spent last night at the Hotel Elan and the previous night at the Calgary Hyatt. I moved because of construction noise just outside of the Hyatt.

The Hyatt (separately reviewed) is located in the heart of downtown, while Hotel Elan has a non-contral location and requires a 10 dollar taxi ride to center of the city. The airport shuttle doesn't stop near Hotel Elan. The Hyatt is located close to the pretty Bow river and they loan bikes to ride on the river trail. The Hyatt is much larger and more traditional. Hotel Elan has no restaurants, no cafe, and no room service. Breakfast is included but it is minimal and of mediocre quality. The 2 dollar espresso was undrinkable. If I spent another night in Calgary I would skip the free breakfast tomorrow.

Hotel Elan asked for a 100 dollar hold on my credit card to pay for damage to the room. I didn't like this and thought it was a strange request. It sounds like they get some guests that I don't want at my hotel.

Both hotels have many restaurants located very close by. The streets around Hotel Elan are filled with very young people - 35 is old around her. I felt ancient.

Both Hotels have nice rooms and very comfortable beds. I didn't sleep great last night because the duvet is very heavy (this is July!) and with the AC set at the highest setting, I was still hot. The pillows were also very thick.

Both hotels offer free wifi, with the Hotel Elan's speed much faster than the Hyatt's speed.

Hotel Elan was abut 40 dollars more expensive than the Hyatt. Next time I will very likely choose the Hyatt.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Soccer D
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you for your second night stay while in Calgary since there was construction going on next to the Hyatt. Our double thickness of interior in walls and solid core doors certainly allows for a peaceful rest not to mention our top of the line Serta mattresses. Yes our high speed internet is very fast since we have dedicated 15 meg per unit throughout the hotel. It is an industry standard to ask guests on arrival to provide a security deposit which is released at check out if there are no incidental charges ie mini bar. This policy at our hotel certainly discourages any one that does not have the best interest in respect to the care of our property or quiet enjoyment of our other valued guests.
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Friendly check in staff, great location for the lively 'entertainment' district along 17th Ave and a really comfortable room with some nice touches: bed was large and comfy, large TV, iPad docking station, nice coffee maker and a funky bathroom with rain shower and heated seat toilet! Free wifi and would you believe, free international calls to many countries.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTravellerTony
As you mentioned Hotel Elan is situated in a great location just off of the 17 Ave entertainment district. So many options for dining and shopping you need a few days for sure to see them all! I am pleased to see you enjoyed the free wifi and free international phone calls to over 70 countries worldwide. Yes our rain shower and heated toilet seat remain hits with all of our guests! Thanks for taking time to submit your review!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Walking distance to funky restaurants. Room was good size for one. Could have used more drawer/closet space but that was it. Breakfast was great and staff were friendly and helpful. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Tanya thank you for your review. I see that you got to enjoy our expanded complimentary hot continental breakfast as well as visit some of our great restaurant selections within just a couple of blocks from the hotel. Our friendly staff looks forward to your next stay! Thanks for choosing Hotel Elan.