“This is INSANE Fun !!!”

Skyline Luge Calgary
Ranked #6 of 90 Fun & Games in Calgary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With more than 50 twist and turns and covering a distance of over 1800 metres on a continuous downhill trajectory, the Skyline Luge in Calgary is the longest in the world and is certain to bring smiles to the faces of both the young and old this summer. Sounds awesome (and it is)........but what is it exactly? Invented in New Zealand in 1985, Skyline Luge is a unique wheeled gravity ride that provides the rider full control over their descent on a purpose built track. The unique braking and steering system control speed and direction - it's easy to learn and is suitable for people of all ages and abilities. But most of all - it's fun, great fun! The simple enjoyment of hurtling down the track in the specially constructed Luge kart as you navigate the twists, turns and bumps never fails to make adults giggle like children. And the children will beam with excitement, before hopping back on the chairlift to the top so they can do it all again. Those under 6 years old (or less than 110cm tall) can even share a ride with Mum or Dad, so no-one misses out and the whole family gets to have some safe fun. In fact, over 30 million people have enjoyed the Luge worldwide and their comments have led to the Luge slogan; 'Once is never enough'! And it's not. Most are hooked after their 1st Luge ride. It's easy to master and soon you'll notice yourself moving to the chairlift a little quicker, not quite running, but certainly walking fast.....all so you can get back to the top and do it again as soon as possible! It's thrilling, it's exciting and it's perfect for a family, a group or a team. In fact, just about anyone can enjoy the Luges. The universal appeal is what has made Luge a success in New Zealand, Singapore and Mt Tremblant already. Skyline Luge Calgary is owned by New Zealand based Skyline Enterprises. An innovative and leading tourism company, Skyline Enterprises have a portfolio of iconic tourism products within New Zealand and international Luge sites in Singapore and Canada.
Boynton Beach, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“This is INSANE Fun !!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our family (2 adults, 2 kids) thought this would be fun. It was beyond that. My 7-yr old sat on my lap and took video of every ride - including the ones where we all raced each other...his narrations should be in some broadcasting Hall-of-Fame in Calgary. My 11-yr old son is now an expert !!! Top speed must have been over 30 mph. We even crashed once and could not stop laughing for 20 minutes. I know you need to slow down around the curves, but the feeling of almost wiping out is so choice. We went on 7 total times. The sign says once you try, it you can't stop...INDEED !!! Need to build one of these in my backyard.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“super fun activity”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Went today with my 3 kids, hubby, and mom. What a blast! We all had fun, and enjoyed ourselves a lot. As I had been up at the park previously, I knew where I was going, but a bit more signage might be helpful. We found everyone on staff helpful, and the staff member who was teaching "how to" at the top was really really clear and supportive. Can't wait to go back!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun, but hard for a 7 year old”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just went to Calgary Skyline Luge. I think this has pretty good potential. We brought our family of 4 (2 parents, 2 kids aged 7 and 5). They have a family rate for 4 but my 5yr old doesn't count, so he's $3 extra (which is a great price) so you are left with one more ticket.

So I found this really fun. However, my 7 yr old had a really hard time controlling the car. It can get pretty fast. I even found my oqn car tipping on corners and I had my 5yr old between my legs. That being said my 7 yr old wiped out twice on the track and got scraped up pretty bad. The curves are pretty tight and you have to pull hard on the handles in order to brake. That combined with halfway down the track they put up two "blockers" to slow you down before a steep section that they don't tell you about. My son wiped out pretty bad as he plowed into them.

So I'd recommend this for adults, and possibly 8 year olds and up. I can't imagine a 6 year old going down. We ended up paying for an extra adult pass and two $3 kid passes so we could go again and not deal with the wipeout drama by having my wife and I drive with out kids.

Enter my second complaint: the chair lift. The chair lift at COP is pretty short. In spite of this, it stops ALL THE TIME. It stopped a minimum of 3 times each trip up. This is fine if you don't have small kids with you. But small kids don't appreciate the stops. I asked at the top why it happens all the time to which they replied "safety sensors". Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as to why they are going off ALL THE TIME!

I think these issues can be worked out. Perhaps if your young kids are strong and really athletic they'll have no issues knowing when and how hard to brake. So I would suggest knowing your kids and how they'll do. Know that it gets pretty fast and the corners tight.

Oh, and if its raining (which it started to on our second trip up), you won't enjoy the chairlift, since it will stop. The carts are also really difficult to slow down, even for adults when its slick. There is no way I would put kids on the track when its wet.

7 Thank Craigger77
SkylineLugeCalgary, Manager at Skyline Luge Calgary, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Hi Crigger77
Thank you for your feedback about Skyline Luge Calgary. As we are in our 1st season of operation here in Calgary we appreciate feedback that can help improve not only our product but guests experience on the Luge.
As you know from your experience on the Luge, every rider’s first ride of the day goes through a full instruction from our trained staff at the top of the Luge with braking tests. Our minimum requirement of 6yrs old and 110cm tall to be able to ride a Luge cart alone, doesn’t not mean all younger children have the capability to ride alone and we agree with your comment of “Knowing your kids and how they’ll do”. All our Luge carts do get a comprehensive safety daily.

With regards the your comment about the Lift. Please understand that the stoppages were not due to the Lift itself but the safety systems that are in place for our Robot load and unload system. This system of loading and unloading carts by Robot, is not only a first for our company but a world first with regards to a Robot working in an open environment so close to the general public, and also being integrated with a ski chair lift. The safety controls that need to be in place by law are very strict and rightly so to stop any untrained personnel or general public being able to get close to a working robot. As this is a world first there will be unexpected issues that will pop up, but rest assured we as a company are working on and through these issues to ensure going forward we can provide a smooth running operation that is family friendly and fun for all.

Once again we thank you for your comments and feedback.
Skyline Luge Calgary.
Houston, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great fun at your own pace!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I visited Calgary and the Canadian Rockies for our summer vacation. We ended it in a fun and exciting way, the Skyline Luge in Calgary. We rode the ski lift up to the start of the luge. We were instructed how to use the lever which controls the speed and direction. With little practice it was easy. As we winded down the track I looked forward to my second ride. Since it was the hottest day of the summer so far, they were having some technical trouble with the ski lift working. Because I would have to wait an unknown amount of time to go up again, I decided to get a refund on my second ride. We'll just have to return and ride more.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jeff A
Oslo, Norway
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fun new attraction in Calgary”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I visited Calgary Luge with my husband and a friend on the 4th of July. It was difficult finding the right way to the Luge from the main parking lot, as we couldn't see any signs for it at all and the steps from the main building to the ticket area was cordoned off. We ended up spotting a Luge employee on his lunch break and asked him for directions, and in the end we ducked under the cordon as we simply couldn't find another way in.

Once we got to the Luge area it was easy to buy tickets, grab helmets and catch the chair lift to the top. It was very easy to learn how to luge and off we went! The ride down was fun, and if you don't brake a lot, it it surprisingly fast! I recommend paying for two rides up front as it's much cheaper than buying two single tickets, and it's fun enough to want to do it twice. :)

Visited July 2013