“Moderately OK for a hotel”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #84 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed for one night only in a standard king size room. The bed was actually very comfortable. The view out of the bedroom was of the parking lot & the Olympic Park, the TV's could use an upgrade, and the living room furniture definately needs to be upgraded. Bathroom was nice. Everything looked clean so there were no issues there, the only thing that bothered me was that there was an instant smell of what I call "old ladies getting a perm" when I entered into the room. That was a little unpleasant but by the morning the smell either went away or I got adjusted to it. Other than that I had no issues. The staff was very friendly and answered all my questions.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CroChic

Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife and I block booked a handful of rooms for our guests. Sandman management told us if we hit a certain 'quota' we can get a discount.
My wife and I got to the hotel around 1230am on the Sunday, the service was quick and the room we had was big and amazing. Jacuzzis and a nice shower was very nice.
We left early on Sunday morning too check out. Guest Services charged us on our credit card, then about 30 minutes later Sandman called me and told me it was a free because we exceeded our quota. I am amazed by that for being honest.
I would recommend this hotel too anyone who needs block book for weddings or family events!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marko P
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We arrived on Friday, August 26 for a two-night stay. The hotel was picked because of the proximity to a wedding we were attending and a special group rate had been given. On entering the lobby, it looked as though this tired, old hotel may have been renovated. The lobby was bright and obviously had new flooring, lighting, etc. We checked in and were shown to our "corporate suite", right across the hall from the swimming pool - not a good location. Upon entering the room it was evident this was a very old hotel that was in dire need of updating. The carpets were filthy and smelled. When I entered the bathroom there was hair on the floor and in the sink. The mirrors on the cupboard doors had obviously not been cleaned and had smudges and dirt all over them. My husband and I promptly walked to the front desk and advised that we would not be staying. There was no manager on staff as it was "the weekend". Pretty bad for a hotel to have no management available over a busy summer weekend. Even the reduced price was too high considering that no breakfast is included either and the overall condition of the hotel is deplorable. We left the hotel, drove to the nearest Hampton Inn, got a clean, updated room for the same price that included a hot breakfast. Sandman never again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JVandJC
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I don't usually make reviews but this one made us a little upset so I thought I would warn people!
So first of all we booked our hotel stay through Expedia and were told we had only a few hours if we needed to make a cancellation. Well for the first time we needed to cancel. I called expedia and he told me to call sandman and I did And they told me expedia needs to cancel so when I called expedia they said we could not cancel. There not sure why the guy that booked us said we could cancel cause they do not cancel for any occasion!
When we got to the hotel the guy at front desk did not need my confirmation number just my visa.. Then gave us the keys.
We got to the room and it's not what we booked on expedia! It was two double beds and super small! The Expedia guy told us we could not book anyother room cause we have a baby under the age of 1 yr. We had to book the corporate king. I called down and the guy told us this was an upgrade from the corporate king. I said I paid for a king I want a king. ( through expedia they charge you the second they get your credit card #) so we had to go down and finally we get our room.
Next thing the lights and air conditioning did not work. But tge room was nice.
So in all the corporate king is Pretty much what you pay for. It's a really nice room.. When everything works! Service is horrible!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Ajukilo
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The service here was great and the room was very clean. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The hotel is in a great location and has a nice bar/food downstairs, but the room we wee given was small and getting a little tired with a noisy a/c unit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Good hotel, l appointed, convenient for tram to downtown; breakfast at Moxie's was good with good choice & prompt service

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple