Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
US$181
US$192
US$182
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$112
US$181
US$173
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$114
BestWestern.com
US$162
US$142
Orbitz.com
US$508
  • Restaurant
All reviewscanada olympic parkthe trans canada highwayking suitefront desk clerkwould stay here againpleasant staygreat roombeds were comfortablestarbucks
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel and were given the keys to our "non smoking" family Suite ~ opened the door and the air reeked of smoke ~ my cousin phoned down to the front desk and my sister sat down on the bed in the front room which rolled forward and she almost ended up on the floor ~ there must have been a leg missing or something. The bed spreads wee stained and the rooms tiny and cramped. We were asked to come down to the desk and there were n more suites left so we had to book 2 separate rooms at an added cost of course. These new rooms were fine with no smoke odour. THere were stains on one of the spreads in one of the rooms

The next day when we came back to the room and one of the keys didn't work. From the other room I called the desk and had to go down to the desk to get new keys instead of them bringing the new key up to the second floor for me. When I got to the desk I was asked for picture ID which they hadn't told me ~ luckily I had my purse with me!! I would not have been a happy camper to have had to go back upstairs to get my ID.

I am not usually a woman who is hard to please and part of my dismay at the evens in this hotel may have been because we were in Calgary to attend a memorial service however i do expect clean bedspreads and a non smoking room that does not smell of smoke

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ginny L
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Lobby was nice, too bad the room was not of the same standard. We had a very dated suite, and the cleanliness was below standard. There were room service dishes in the hall beside the ice machine the whole time we were there, and we're smelling rotten. The one Wifi connection is painfully slow. Router disconnects regularly and was not top on the priority list for the staff to check. There are better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank toocold00
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We have stayed here numerous times, in fact 5 years ago, we spend our wedding night at this hotel. A lot has changed since then. The air conditioning was not functioning at all, room was at 26-28 every night. It was very good at making noise though. The hotel was full, so I can understand that there was nowhere else for us to go. This I understand. My big complaint was the dishonesty of the housekeeping staff. We went out for the day, when we returned my wife noticed that her $600 custom fit orthodontic mouth guard was missing. She had it in a cup with cleaner in it set on the counter. It was gone, she went down to the front desk, she was passed on to to the shift supervisor and lodged her complaint, she soon returned to our room with the lady that cleaned our room and informed us that we where wrong or lying because she did not empty a glass in our room, and even if she did she always cleans the glasses in the sink,my wife asked to speak to the manager, she told us that he does not work weekends and does not like to bothered on days off!!! Unbelievable. Ten minutes later my wife used the bathroom and the toilet does not flush. Up to the elbow in toilet water into the trap and guess what we found? That's right, the mouth guard. Back down to the front desk, I informed the head housekeeper of our find, she told me that she would get the cleaner and herself to come to the room and apologize. Well we checked out 40 hours later and that apology never did happen. I have never seen this amount of udder incompetence in one poorly managed facility in my life. Did I mention that a waiter in the attached Deny's resteraunt emptied a glass of coke in my lap with a misplaced elbow, and then complained to me about the lack of tip when we left?
We will never use this or another Starwood branded hotel ever again, and I would suggest no one else either.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joker1412
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I really want to give this hotel a "poor" rating, but I'm giving it an "average" rating bordering on "poor".

When I checked in, I was shown to a room that had obviously not been cleaned. The carpets and bathroom floor were dirty. The kindly front desk clerk gave us a different room, which was cleaner, but the tub was not clean. It had gray tinge and a definite ring. Bathroom fixtures should sparkle, not have a dirty film. Calgary has hard water and cleaning staff should know that a little spritz with a liquid cleaner is not going to cut it. They have to scrub to get the bathroom fixtures clean.

I really wondered if I had clean sheets. The sheets and pillow cases were threadbare and didn't have a fresh, clean smell. As a matter of fact, they smelled a little musty. I didn't use the blanket on the bed, because it was definitely dirty. There was a large crusty stain that looked like...er...baby formula. Fortunately, there was a clean one in the closet.

The cleaning staff in this hotel have not been trained on how to clean a room or they don't have enough cleaning staff.

The layout of the suite was nice, but the sofa was very uncomfortable. It felt like a few springs were broken.

I thought the front desk fellow that worked at night was helpful and friendly, but some of the young women that worked during the day and evening, were aloof and lacked in basic customer service skills.

I agree with some other reviews about the wireless internet. Most of the time pages wouldn't load or I would lose my connection. When I voiced a complaint about the internet, the front desk clerk just shrugged. If you need a reliable internet connection, this hotel is not for you.

The location can't be beat if you want to be in the far west end of town, close to Olympic park and Springbank Airport.

Room Tip: The area near the pool can be noisy if there are kids in the hotel. This isn't an issue for me, but it might be for some travellers.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nogobev
Reviewed 31 May 2012

First, on the postive side, the staff I dealt with were very friendly and efficient, no issues there at all. I was given the room I'd paid for, and it was about what I would expect for the cost, certainly adequate, but nothing exceptional. Bed was comfortable, and room was quiet. The largest negative for me was the quality of the free wireless connection. I was staying on business, and needed access, but the continual loss of connection was frustrating, to say the least. If I was staying without need for internet I'd have no problems, but if I needed internet access I might consider other hotels first.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business