Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
US$181
The Fairmont Palliser(Calgary)
US$176
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$126
US$97
US$228
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscanada olympic parkthe trans canada highwayking suitefront desk clerkwould stay here againpleasant staygreat roombeds were comfortablestarbucks
Reviewed 19 July 2012

had booked a room for one night many months ago. Tried to book an additonal night online a few weeks before we travelled but there was no availability. When we arrived, I asked about an extra night and thankfully they could accommodate us. Turned out to be a King suite (room 301) it was quiet and clean. The front desk service was excellent. What really made this special ... I paid with "Lucky 13" cards (Sandman frequent traveller rewards) for both nights and they really "took care" of us. Much appreciated. have stayed there previously on business and it's always good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rjv55
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This week we booked last minute at Sandman Hotel Calgary West at Bowridge Dr. It's very conveniently located beside the Stoney Trail NW highway 201 exit by McDonalds and the Canada Olympic Park. From here, we drove North 8 minutes to Crowchild Trail NW. Since it is the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampedes with over 100,000 visitors to Stampede grounds each day, we chose to park at Crowfoot C-train station near Nose Hill Drive NW. From there, for $2.75 /adult or less than a couple dollars per child, we were able to secure seats on the C-train that was brimming to the max (passing Dalhousie station and University of Calgary) before the train reached downtown Calgary. During rush hour, one man told us he'd waited for a fifth train before he was able to board amid crowds on the platform! Almost a half hour later, we entered the Stampede grounds via Erlton Station, the quietest Southern station beside the rodeo Grandstand. After fun games and entertainment in the baking sun, we were pleased to end the day in the Denny's (attached to the Sandman hotel) for late night dinner and drinks. Despite a lack of complimentary breakfast fare, the hotel's situation next to the diner was perfect for a family with children. The sleep in our neatly made, clean room was inviting after a full day at the Stampedes. Drumheller's Badlands or Royal Tyrell Dinosaur Museum and Banff National Park (1.5 hours in either direction from the hotel) await in the upcoming days!

Room Tip: Fireworks at 11:00 pm can be seen from bedrooms at the front of the building. We preferred a quieter room without any view (except the parking lot or warehouse) in the rear.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AnLily
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel and were given the keys to our "non smoking" family Suite ~ opened the door and the air reeked of smoke ~ my cousin phoned down to the front desk and my sister sat down on the bed in the front room which rolled forward and she almost ended up on the floor ~ there must have been a leg missing or something. The bed spreads wee stained and the rooms tiny and cramped. We were asked to come down to the desk and there were n more suites left so we had to book 2 separate rooms at an added cost of course. These new rooms were fine with no smoke odour. THere were stains on one of the spreads in one of the rooms

The next day when we came back to the room and one of the keys didn't work. From the other room I called the desk and had to go down to the desk to get new keys instead of them bringing the new key up to the second floor for me. When I got to the desk I was asked for picture ID which they hadn't told me ~ luckily I had my purse with me!! I would not have been a happy camper to have had to go back upstairs to get my ID.

I am not usually a woman who is hard to please and part of my dismay at the evens in this hotel may have been because we were in Calgary to attend a memorial service however i do expect clean bedspreads and a non smoking room that does not smell of smoke

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ginny L
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Lobby was nice, too bad the room was not of the same standard. We had a very dated suite, and the cleanliness was below standard. There were room service dishes in the hall beside the ice machine the whole time we were there, and we're smelling rotten. The one Wifi connection is painfully slow. Router disconnects regularly and was not top on the priority list for the staff to check. There are better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank toocold00
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We have stayed here numerous times, in fact 5 years ago, we spend our wedding night at this hotel. A lot has changed since then. The air conditioning was not functioning at all, room was at 26-28 every night. It was very good at making noise though. The hotel was full, so I can understand that there was nowhere else for us to go. This I understand. My big complaint was the dishonesty of the housekeeping staff. We went out for the day, when we returned my wife noticed that her $600 custom fit orthodontic mouth guard was missing. She had it in a cup with cleaner in it set on the counter. It was gone, she went down to the front desk, she was passed on to to the shift supervisor and lodged her complaint, she soon returned to our room with the lady that cleaned our room and informed us that we where wrong or lying because she did not empty a glass in our room, and even if she did she always cleans the glasses in the sink,my wife asked to speak to the manager, she told us that he does not work weekends and does not like to bothered on days off!!! Unbelievable. Ten minutes later my wife used the bathroom and the toilet does not flush. Up to the elbow in toilet water into the trap and guess what we found? That's right, the mouth guard. Back down to the front desk, I informed the head housekeeper of our find, she told me that she would get the cleaner and herself to come to the room and apologize. Well we checked out 40 hours later and that apology never did happen. I have never seen this amount of udder incompetence in one poorly managed facility in my life. Did I mention that a waiter in the attached Deny's resteraunt emptied a glass of coke in my lap with a misplaced elbow, and then complained to me about the lack of tip when we left?
We will never use this or another Starwood branded hotel ever again, and I would suggest no one else either.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family