Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
US$184
US$178
US$153
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$113
US$177
US$151
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$115
Hotels.com
All reviewscanada olympic parkthe trans canada highwayking suitefront desk clerkwould stay here againpleasant staygreat roombeds were comfortablestarbucks
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This isn't an elaborate high end hotel but it's extremely good value for the price and the location for us was perfect, close to U of C, Foothills hospital and we found some amazing restaurants not far away. The hotel had everything we need, a comfortable bed for sleeping, small exercise room, hot tub and pool. We have stayed before, while we liked our previous room, we discovered it was a pet room and would recommend if you have allergies to be sure you don't get one of these. The room was clean and well maintained. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We were both really impressed with the staff and food at Dennys(I'm not a fan of Dennys at all and it would be my last choice of places to eat). We enjoyed many of their Fit Fare items on the menu. The restaurants we found close and really enjoyed were Cadence for breakfasat, Notables for dinner and Mikku for Sushi.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Upon entering the lobby of this hotel, it looked lovely with the seating and the tvs. There was a sign on the desk that the staff was not available but would be returning soon. Someone did come out after a short time and checked myself and my colleagues in. It was the longest check in for 4 people I ever experienced, about 15-20 minutes. The cops also arrived during this time and asked for a room key which they were given. Was this a sign of the security in the hotel? We were given rooms with consecutive numbers so that was nice.

When we came out of the elevator to the floor where our rooms were located, it felt like a sauna! As one of the other reviewers commented the heat was terrible. I tried my room key in my room but it wasn't opening due to the chain lock being used. I pushed it but it wouldn't budge and it was dark in the room. I mentioned to my colleague that someone was probably in there. I shut the door and then knocked but there was no answer. As I was putting my luggage in my colleague's room, the door opened with a guy wearing no shirt and bed head. I apologized and told him the hotel gave me this room.

So I went back downstairs and took the hotel staff about the issue. Apparently due to the heating issues, they were having difficulty tracking which rooms were occupied! He was assigning me another room and I said if there's another issue, I would be asking for an upgrade. So he did upgrade me at this point to a jacuzzi suite. Since it was on the same floor at the room the cops wanted in, I asked my colleague to come up with me and ensure there was no dead body in the room.

All was good with the room and luckily it wasn't too cool to sleep as some of the others experienced. I used the jacuzzi, and liked the shower as well. The room also had a microwave, fridge, and cutlery, and also a living room area.

The service was inconsistent but I'm sure the guy who checked us in was having a bad day. The check out was quick and that staff member was friendly and helpful. In the morning they offer free coffee/tea, and apples. There's also a Denny's attached to the hotel if you could stomach the grease, and there's a Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, and Opa all within a few minutes walk. The gym has a few machines and there's a pool too that seemed under utilized.

Not sure I would be back at the location wasn't convenient to getting downtown and hard to say if the service would be better. Once they fix their heating issue, it would be a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank LovingSunandSand
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Walked off the elevator to the floor my room was on and the heat was stifling. I couldn't believe how hot it was. Made it to my room sweating like crazy and walked into an icebox. There is no heat in my room. I have two heaters and neither of them work. The hotel is heating the rooms by cranking the heat in the hallways and it isn't working. This place is a joke.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 2intrepid0
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed there because we were going to a wedding at the Valley Ridge Golf Course (great food and amenities there!). We had our dog with us so we were on the ground floor. There were some funky odors on that floor. The room was run down, furniture seen better days. I was scared to take my shoes off, the carpet was stained. The tub needed a good scrub and tiles needed regrouting. For $160, it was not worth it, maybe for half the price this hotel would have better value.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Maybellelovesfood
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The Sandman Calgary West seems to have poured a lot of money into its lobby, which looks like a cross between a boutique hotel and a nightclub. If only they'd paid as much attention to the rooms.

My room, on the second floor overlooking the parking lot, stank. Every time I walked in, a wave of stale smoke and old-hotel smell hit me smack in the face. The carpet looked ancient and filthy, and there was a mysterious reddish stain near the door. (I really wished I'd brought slippers.) For the first two or three nights of my six-night stay in late October, the room was so overheated, I had to run the air conditioner for an hour or two. (There was a thermostat in the room, but it didn't actually give you the ability to control the temperature.)

The layout of the room was weird and inconvenient - typical shoebox style, but with a dingy sitting room in the front, bathroom in the middle, and a bedroom at the back that was so small, there was no room for my suitcase. The furniture was old, ugly and scuffed, with 1990s-vintage 4:3 TVs in the sitting room and bedroom. And the lights were dim and depressing - enough to cause seasonal affective disorder in anyone spending more than a few hours in the room.

The bathroom was newer and mercifully clean, but what's with the trendy but inconvenient sink sitting on top of the counter, with no stopper and a tap that splattered water everywhere every time I opened it more than a sliver?

OK, enough about the depressing room. Breakfast? There's a Denny's in the building. Slow service (at breakfast! we're not on flippin' vacation!) and unhealthy, bland and greasy food. At dinnertime there is something called Bar One, branded as an "Urban Lounge" but really more like a suburban sports bar, with... yup, unhealthy, bland and greasy food.

And the "business centre"? When I needed to use it, the one computer was down. At least the manager was kind enough to let me print out my documents in his office.

Positives? The staff were friendly. There was a bowl of complimentary apples in the lobby. There were no rodents or other vermin. And, um...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business