“Not so great anymore”

Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Not so great anymore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Have stayed here on business trips 3-4 times and each time got progressively worse. The final stay was the worst. Most of the lights in the room didn't work. Broken desk tools for computer equipment. No complaints about the customer service. But still wont stay here ever again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank M B
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Thank your time in providing the feedback for your stay. I apologize that you had a bad experience for your last stay with us. Please contact me directly at 403-288-6033 so we are given an opportunity to correct what hapened with your stay and to ensure you that it will not be repeated for any further stays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I don't usually write reviews but feel compelled to do so in this case. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we checked out, this hotel disappointed significantly. We expected a decent, clean hotel that would be good quality for the reasonable price. We were travelling with a group and had booked multiple days for dozens of rooms. Instead, what we found were dirty rooms (some beds had hairs in them upon arrival), numerous people had to change rooms after checking in, very smelly rooms (either smelling very bad or overly perfumed to hide the bad smell), and even leftover dirty clothes in drawers. Bathrooms were not cleaned each day, towels were not consistently provided, and they actually ran out of towels at the hotel and had to go out and buy them. Our numerous complaints to the front desk staff were not met with any kind of a service orientation. One of our group had flowers delivered to them and the flowers sat behind the desk for over a day without notification. Yes, it was a good location and had a nice lobby, but that is where it stopped. The carpets were dirty, chesterfields in suites were smelly, and rooms smelled to the extent that everyone in our group slept with the windows wide open in February in Calgary! The meeting room we had booked in advance was not made available, and the list of issues goes on on and on. Bottom line, I would not recommend this hotel for either individual or group stays.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the beautiful view of the ski hill. That was lovely but because the rooms smelle...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patti E

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

We only stopped over for one night but had a good time in the brief stop to recoup. Raced off the Calgary Tower for dinner and had a large room overlooking the Olympic Park for the 1980's (I wasn't born yet, but around then). Great reception staff and experience Denny's for breakfast. Well recovered we continued our journey.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

This isn't an elaborate high end hotel but it's extremely good value for the price and the location for us was perfect, close to U of C, Foothills hospital and we found some amazing restaurants not far away. The hotel had everything we need, a comfortable bed for sleeping, small exercise room, hot tub and pool. We have stayed before, while we liked our previous room, we discovered it was a pet room and would recommend if you have allergies to be sure you don't get one of these. The room was clean and well maintained. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We were both really impressed with the staff and food at Dennys(I'm not a fan of Dennys at all and it would be my last choice of places to eat). We enjoyed many of their Fit Fare items on the menu. The restaurants we found close and really enjoyed were Cadence for breakfasat, Notables for dinner and Mikku for Sushi.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

Upon entering the lobby of this hotel, it looked lovely with the seating and the tvs. There was a sign on the desk that the staff was not available but would be returning soon. Someone did come out after a short time and checked myself and my colleagues in. It was the longest check in for 4 people I ever experienced, about 15-20 minutes. The cops also arrived during this time and asked for a room key which they were given. Was this a sign of the security in the hotel? We were given rooms with consecutive numbers so that was nice.

When we came out of the elevator to the floor where our rooms were located, it felt like a sauna! As one of the other reviewers commented the heat was terrible. I tried my room key in my room but it wasn't opening due to the chain lock being used. I pushed it but it wouldn't budge and it was dark in the room. I mentioned to my colleague that someone was probably in there. I shut the door and then knocked but there was no answer. As I was putting my luggage in my colleague's room, the door opened with a guy wearing no shirt and bed head. I apologized and told him the hotel gave me this room.

So I went back downstairs and took the hotel staff about the issue. Apparently due to the heating issues, they were having difficulty tracking which rooms were occupied! He was assigning me another room and I said if there's another issue, I would be asking for an upgrade. So he did upgrade me at this point to a jacuzzi suite. Since it was on the same floor at the room the cops wanted in, I asked my colleague to come up with me and ensure there was no dead body in the room.

All was good with the room and luckily it wasn't too cool to sleep as some of the others experienced. I used the jacuzzi, and liked the shower as well. The room also had a microwave, fridge, and cutlery, and also a living room area.

The service was inconsistent but I'm sure the guy who checked us in was having a bad day. The check out was quick and that staff member was friendly and helpful. In the morning they offer free coffee/tea, and apples. There's also a Denny's attached to the hotel if you could stomach the grease, and there's a Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, and Opa all within a few minutes walk. The gym has a few machines and there's a pool too that seemed under utilized.

Not sure I would be back at the location wasn't convenient to getting downtown and hard to say if the service would be better. Once they fix their heating issue, it would be a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank LovingSunandSand
Salmon Arm, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Walked off the elevator to the floor my room was on and the heat was stifling. I couldn't believe how hot it was. Made it to my room sweating like crazy and walked into an icebox. There is no heat in my room. I have two heaters and neither of them work. The hotel is heating the rooms by cranking the heat in the hallways and it isn't working. This place is a joke.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 2intrepid0
Whitecourt, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed there because we were going to a wedding at the Valley Ridge Golf Course (great food and amenities there!). We had our dog with us so we were on the ground floor. There were some funky odors on that floor. The room was run down, furniture seen better days. I was scared to take my shoes off, the carpet was stained. The tub needed a good scrub and tiles needed regrouting. For $160, it was not worth it, maybe for half the price this hotel would have better value.

• Stayed November 2012