“My favourite Calgary hotel.”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Drumheller
“My favourite Calgary hotel.”
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

Back again, love the west side location that gets me on the highway to Banff easily. Great room, squeaky clean as usual and had a great sleep on the sofa bed. Thanks Sid for your hospitality. Your staff are always "the best" in the industry.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank pzwolfDrumheller
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thank you for your time and kind words regarding your stay. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Manitoba
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I wish I could give this zero stars but since I can't, it gets one. My family had booked in as part of a group staying there, I was impressed with the actual building and lobby. Thought things looked good. It started to go downhill from there. Our room was cleaned ONCE in the 4 nights we were there, I had to locate towels everyday myself for my family of 4 as they never once left me towels. Once they would only give me 2 becausse they were "short of towels". When I found us towels/cloths they always had hairs on them still, nothing you want to wipe your face with.One of the male housecleaners smelled to Body Odor so badly you could smell it down the hallway from where he was working! When I tried to explain this all to the night manager he didn't want to hear any of it...just kept interrupting me and telling me to tell this to the housekeeping staff or the day staff. He wanted nothing to do with it. I usually understand if this happened one day or you had a couple of things go wrong from what you expected. But this happened to more than just my family in our booking group of about 12 rooms. I thought the Denny's was actaully pretty good, staff was pleasant and prompt, food was good. But the staff looking after the hotel need to all be replaced or trained in how to clean, supply a hotel room and deal with customers!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DebT69
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time in providing your feedback. All rooms a cleaned and checked by the Housekeeping Supervisor daily. The reason for any room not getting done daily is when a guest leaves a Do Not Disturb Card on the door requesting privacy. This can always be corrected as we do have evening staff in housekeeping so if the Front Desk staffs was contacted anytime during the stay we could have corrected this. I personally welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so you can contact the hotel directly at 403-288-6033.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Melita, Mb
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Hotel looked great from outside and were greeted nicely, stayed 4 nights and whole place got worse and worse as we stayed! Cleaning staff is BRUTAL, Lazy, and never around! Garbage never cleaned inside or outside of Hotel.. Staff at lounge and Dennys classless and ignorant!!
No management anywhere in the hotel. You asked for a review and you got it, would never stay there again if it was the last place in Alberta!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Melita Mb
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I really wish I had looked on trip advisor before booking our hockey team in here. It was close to the rink, but at a horrible cost to the team. There is an access door to the hotel on the ground level with the glass broken out of it. Cardboard is taped in its place. The key card doesnt work on the door but thats ok because it opens with out it. Who knows how many non hotel guests have taken a stroll through the hotel. Rooms were dirty, not messy but unclean and unhealthy. ours went 2 days without being cleaned. Mildew is present in the grout in the shower. General manager was non existant throughout our stay. Service in pub and restaraunt was horrible. Staff were quoted as telling my 10 year old that it was too late to stop running in the hall as they had called the cops on him. He cried all night. Pool had way too much chlorine in it. Had to buy eye drops for the kids. Awful staff. Awful ammenties. Unfortunately, awful hotel chain now too. Never again will I try this chain. Too many choices to bother risking it again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stinger-Nation
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time in providing your feedback. All rooms a cleaned and checked by the Housekeeping Supervisor daily. Regarding the concern about the General Manager not being on site it has been noted. However there is a Manager on Duty all weekend long to handle any such concerns. As per the concern regarding the pool, we have to check the pool chemical levels twice a day as per local regulations and submit samples to the local health board. If there were any issue we would have been contacted by them. The only reason for any discomfort for a 10 Year Old would be due to excessive use of the pool. Any other concerns please feel free to contact me at 403-288-6033 to discuss further.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Have stayed here on business trips 3-4 times and each time got progressively worse. The final stay was the worst. Most of the lights in the room didn't work. Broken desk tools for computer equipment. No complaints about the customer service. But still wont stay here ever again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank M B
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Thank your time in providing the feedback for your stay. I apologize that you had a bad experience for your last stay with us. Please contact me directly at 403-288-6033 so we are given an opportunity to correct what hapened with your stay and to ensure you that it will not be repeated for any further stays.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I don't usually write reviews but feel compelled to do so in this case. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we checked out, this hotel disappointed significantly. We expected a decent, clean hotel that would be good quality for the reasonable price. We were travelling with a group and had booked multiple days for dozens of rooms. Instead, what we found were dirty rooms (some beds had hairs in them upon arrival), numerous people had to change rooms after checking in, very smelly rooms (either smelling very bad or overly perfumed to hide the bad smell), and even leftover dirty clothes in drawers. Bathrooms were not cleaned each day, towels were not consistently provided, and they actually ran out of towels at the hotel and had to go out and buy them. Our numerous complaints to the front desk staff were not met with any kind of a service orientation. One of our group had flowers delivered to them and the flowers sat behind the desk for over a day without notification. Yes, it was a good location and had a nice lobby, but that is where it stopped. The carpets were dirty, chesterfields in suites were smelly, and rooms smelled to the extent that everyone in our group slept with the windows wide open in February in Calgary! The meeting room we had booked in advance was not made available, and the list of issues goes on on and on. Bottom line, I would not recommend this hotel for either individual or group stays.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the beautiful view of the ski hill. That was lovely but because the rooms smelle...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patti E
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We only stopped over for one night but had a good time in the brief stop to recoup. Raced off the Calgary Tower for dinner and had a large room overlooking the Olympic Park for the 1980's (I wasn't born yet, but around then). Great reception staff and experience Denny's for breakfast. Well recovered we continued our journey.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends