“Not to expect much”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #83 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you are visiting Calgary for fun trip this is not the hotel you want be in. Very congested rooms, Pricey, No free Parking and felt like staff are not allowed to smile while working. There are lot other good hotels couple of miles away from downtown. This hotel is good for people who have stuff to do in Calgary downtown and don't have a car for travelling. Transportation is very good in downtown and is free if you are travelling within downtown. Avoid it if you can.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rakesh T
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was less than expected; however, from the details in this review, I wonder if perhaps the wrong hotel was selected for review. The Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West is located approximately 12km from downtown Calgary, and we offer an ample amount of complimentary parking for hotel guests and visitors. The front desk staff are continuously praised for the pleasant service they provide. Perhaps for your next visit to Calgary you would like to stay with us.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Trying to find a place to stay on my upcoming trip through and thought I better add my comments. We stayed here a few years ago, on an upper floor. Room was nice, modern, lost of space. Seemed clean and we enjoyed ourselves. So when we went through again, admittedly last fall, we automatically rebooked at this hotel. It was a very busy weekend and we had a room on the first floor, apparently all that was left. The room was at the end of the hall, by the doors that lead to the restaurant. This room was awful...dark, not clean, very outdated, hair in the bathroom, on the floor and in the tub. We got in very late, and were told there were no rooms left so we decided to just go to bed (not use the showers) as we had an early start the next day. In the morning as we were getting ready to check out a mouse ran out from under the twin bed in the first bedroom (where our daughter had been sleeping) and right past her feet. We left as quickly as we could. When we told the front desk they gave us a bit of a discount on the room, but we will not return. We are not overly picky customers, but cleanliness rates up at the top of things we look for. I am disappointed as we go through Calgaqry a few times a year, and it is a very convenient location. We wont be back. I hesitated to write this review, but I wish I had read the reviews before I had booked our last stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LareeinBC63

Good Afternoon,
I am terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us last October was not satisfactory. Room cleanliness is taken very seriously; our housekeeping staff must adhere to strict standards, which are monitored by housekeeping supervisors and myself on a daily basis. I would like to point out that I became the General Manager in November 2013, and I am very proud of my housekeeping and front desk team, the majority of who started about the same time I did. Additionally, a pest control company monitors the hotel on a preventative basis, to ensure we do not have any unwanted guests staying with us. I apologize if an unwanted guest somehow made it into your room. I can assure you, we have not had any pest complaints since I started here. We are also in the process of updating some of the furniture in our guestrooms. I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

First impression looked nice. Checked in found used eyelashes in my bathroom (gross), when told front desk they said look into it and never asked my room number and was still there the next day after housekeeping went through( left to see if they notice) cotton fuzz all over living room area not vacuumed. TV was snowy so couldn't watch. Had to go to front desk for remote to turn it on even. Wifi was poor and kept cutting out. Room nice size but noisy in back parking lot all night.

• Stayed: May 2014
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Good Morning. Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your comments. We take guest concerns very seriously, and I am sorry that the front desk staff failed in following up with you. This has been addressed with the front desk team. Housekeeping standards are also a top priority and the housekeeping deficiencies you noted will also be addressed. The cable company has fixed the snowy TV channels; I am sorry that we were unable to resolve this issue while you were staying with us. Internet technical support is available to our guests 24 hours a day; if there was a problem with internet connectivity, they would have been able to address it had they been contacted. Again, thank you for staying with us; I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at the Sandman Calgary West for the long weekend. The hotel which was located across from the Olympic complex was actually pretty nice. The room was clean, and the bed quite comfortable. The room included a sofa and chair, as well as a small fridge. The average rating was mainly due to the elevators not working. There was one of two that seemed to work at check-in. The next morning, it was out of order and the other one worked, but hard pressed to handle the people demands. The next day, both were out of order. Not cool having to walk up 4 flights of stairs, especially if you're just checking in and have bags. No comp breakfast available, but they did have morning coffee and a breakfast bar/snack bar while they lasted. Denny's restaurant is on the same property and offered meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is also a lounge in the same area of Denny's, but we did not check it out. We had to ask for more soap, which the staff politely made available, but as it was also a hockey weekend, there was lots of kids running up and down the hallways. For the issue's we experienced, I would suggest the rate was a bit high.

Room Tip: Check ahead of time if there is an event at the Olympic Facilities across the highway before you con...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for providing your feedback. We take guest comments very seriously and use them to ensure our guests’ needs are being addressed. I am terribly sorry that the elevator service was insufficient while you were here. The elevator is extremely important to the hotel, and the elevator company was here to work on the elevators multiple times during your stay. I am happy to report that both elevators are up and running. Denny’s restaurant is open 24 hours, serving breakfast all day, and fresh coffee, apples, and granola bars are offered in the lobby until 11:00 am. Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great room had a veiw of Olympic Park. Bed was comfortable. Needs a few minor repairs, but overall a good stay. Will definately stay again. Dennies is right next door, good place for breakfast. Check-in and out was quick and the front desk ladies were friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate the comments and use it to ensure our team is always exceeding the expectations of our guests.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I love this place!!!!

Check-in: fantastic experience-I believe her name was Alex... She was a pleasure to deal with...very bubbly, very informative, quick and easy no muss no fuss check-in.

Room: amazing!- we had a jacuzzi suite- I was in shock of how beautiful this room was. There were chandeliers in the hallway, a huge king sized bed, a beautiful and large jacuzzi in the bedroom, a little kitchenette and a little gift from the hotel in the sitting area.

Check-out: we didn't want to leave, they extended our stay and gave us a discounted rate...when we finally left the girl who helped us was great, we shared our experience and laughs with her and she gave us some great tips on places to go and see in the mountains

I would definitely and will be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Secretrevler

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, I greatly appreciate the feedback. I am happy to hear the Alex was able to enhance your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel seemed to have everything going for it (on paper): location, wonderful staff on check-in, and the lobby/hallways are clean and modern. As other reviewers have said though, it all stops here.

Our room was what you would expect from a highway motel. Wallpaper is wilting/peeling on all walls, our lampshade had mysterious brown spray on it, our carpet and mattress had major burns on them (see my photos). The bed linen was clean thankfully, but once we settled in to sleep, a -terrible- constant and loud (drilling?) sound started. We were on the top floor in a corner room, and the sound was clearly from the exterior, though I can't imagine what would cause it. At this point, I popped onto Trip Advisor (which i honestly wish I had done before booking) and saw the mountain of terrible reviews pointing out all of the same. Having just witnessed another guest complaining in the lobby to the poor woman who was so helpful and courteous during our check-in, we decided not to even bother calling down about the sound or state of our room. Why bother the helpless front desk staff who undoubtedly hear all the same complaints regularly?

Considering the other reviews here, and witnessing the issues first hand, I don't see this hotel improving at all. If you have the foresight to read this in advance, just stay away. I'm sure the hotel will continue to have a steady stream of unsuspecting passers' through, Travelocity bargain hunters, and young undiscerning snowboarders. Spend the extra cash, and stay at Four Points.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin C
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to investigate the issues you addressed; however, without guest name or room number, I am unable to look into this further. I would like to speak to you about the concerns you addressed, so that I can remedy them. Please contact me directly at 403-288-6033 or you can email me at gm_calwest@sandman.ca.