“Not bad, could use comfier beds and bigger/better bathrooms.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary
Ranked #60 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Alberta, Canada
“Not bad, could use comfier beds and bigger/better bathrooms.”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here when we left for our honeymoon and returned. We were told we had been upgraded to 'start our honeymoon early' I'm not sure what the upgrade was. The rooms were on the smallish side, as well as the bathroom. The bed and pillows weren't as comfy as I would have liked them to be, and my husband agreed. But considering that we were there to sleep and head to/back from the airport, we made due. We ordered room service for both stays and never had an issue, even after getting back from the airport @ 11PM. Everyone was very friendly. The only major complaint we have is the Park and Fly parking lot. It's oddly shaped and tiny. Which makes it incredibly hard to park a 2500HD Pick Up. In addition to that, the seemed to clear the snow and pile it in the few remaining parking spaces, instead of completely removing it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TessaNorth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Supposed to be an aiport hotel, with Shuttle service. Their shuttle leaves 1 x per hour. Because of road changes they around now 20min from airport...we had to t ake a cab.
Service was terrible. No Room service, restaurant...you have to go to the hotel next door.
Staff were rude, and unhelpfull. Out of 11 hotels we stayed at during our month long holiday, this one scores the worste. Rooms however, were comfortable, and clean if you can put up with everthing else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracy S
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2011

The decor of the room was very modern and clean as well. I liked the fact all the rooms have a fridge and a desk area. Very spacious.
Location was super for what we were wanting out of Calgary- the outlets are just north of Calgary and maybe 15 mins away. Also the zoo and science centre/downtown are within 15 -20 mins as well. nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of busy Calgary as you are on the outskirts of town. A few nice restaraunts and coffee shops nearby- within minutes. Also a walmart only 10 mins away. Good location overall.
The complimentary breakfast was great , especially with small kids- just get up and go eat ! Lots of selection to eat and the servers were more than helpful,Very clean.
The only thing that wewere dissapointed with was the fact that we feel the chemical in the hot tub was too high as it literally bleached an almost brand new bathing suit of mine---while I was wearing it! (can you say embarrassing!) I told the front clerk who 'wrote it on a clipboard' and said she would tell maintenance. I was worried for small children or people who have sensitive skin. later that day, there was a sign saying the hot tub was out of order due to a 'mechanical failure'....hmmm....and there was no compensation for my loss of a very expensive suit or even any mention to me about the problem upon checkout. - or even an apoplogy for that matter. The front desk clerk clearly has no personable skills.
All in all, I would stay here again- but maybe not use the pool anemities.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sheuchert
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We had a great room. Great service. The location was just perfect for getting to the airport at 4 in the morning

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Drtbke99
Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We r in fact at the hotel right now on free high speed internet. The rooms are big and very clean and very nice decore. We are in a king suite, with seperate sitting area. Two flat screen lg tvs and a BIG huge shower in the bathroom. Its wonderful. The breakfast in the morning is fantastic. The beds are also comfortable. we are really enjoying ourselves. Loving the hotel. : ) There is a great pool with waterslides for kids also. Don't hesitate to stay here. :)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank canadiangirl91
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Went in to calgary to pick up family member from the airport, checked in to the holiday inn express and suites calgary airport. Standard looking Holiday inn, the room was a good size and nicely appointed. Very satisfied from that perspective.

Unfortunately the first thing I heard were voices and a child crying. No one was in the hall way, it was not the room next to me, but the room above me. Unbelievable to hear voices from the floor above. The other thing I noticed was when people were in the hall way out side my door just talking in a normal voice, it was as though they were in the room with me. Then there was the sound of the freeway which runs right outside my window. All night long you could hear the cars getting closer, passing you and driving off. And to top it all off the next morning at around 6 am I was woke to the sound of a television from the room beside me. Again unbelievable considering this is a very new hotel, clearly sound proofing was not a priority in the construction. For these reasons alone I would not stay here again. But the best is yet to come.
My sister was getting a puppy for her son for christmas and the breeder was going to bring the puppy to me at the hotel. At 9am the next morning I called the front desk to see if it was ok for the breeder to bring the puppy to me. (keep in mind i am checking out of the hotel this morning and was just waiting for the puppy to arrive.) The frond desk clerk Liliana, said it was not possible as the hotel has a no pets policy. That is fine I can respect that. So I asked her if it was alright for the breeder to meet me in the lobby to drop off the puppy, and from there I would leave.(keep in mind this is a 4 pound puppy in a little kennel, and it is about -30 celcius outside) Again Liliana said it was not possible. And again I can repect the Hotels decision, but given that it would be a two minute exchange out of the cold, I thought they were somewhat unreasonable, My family runs a hotel so I am aware of the ability to bend the rules here and there. I asked Liliana if I could speak with the manager, she said there was no one to speak to, I then asked if she would call the manager and ask if there could be an exception, again Liliana said there was no one she could call. I said "there has to be some one you can call, what if there is an emergency?". Liliana said she would call 911. So I asked what if its not that kind of emergenecy, but a problem with a customer, or you are unsure of a price or something along those lines. She again said I have no one to call, this I find very hard to believe, my staff always has a contact number to reach someone. Liliana even went so far as to say that she DOES NOT have a number to reach her manager or a supervisor of any kind. I feel safe in saying that is a flat out lie. She was very stuborn was not willing to help in anyway. I went down and checked out immediately and Liliana was still very stubborn, basiclly said two words to me . I asked her if she would write me a note stating that in fact she had no manager number to call, but she refused, it was like pulling teeth to get her to give me the managers name, and to give me her name.
Over all thin walls and poorly trained staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank gio044
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I recently stayed at this property in mid-December for one night (Monday). The purpose of the stay was to overnight after picking up a family member who was arriving very late at the Calgary Airport and avoid a long drive afterwards. I was given a room on the third floor at the North-end facing out over the parking lot. I had two queen size beds.

I thought the room was very clean and the HIEx brand of bedding and pillows always give me a good night sleep. The bathroom was very clean with lots of fluffy towels and the usual sundries you might find (i.e. soap and shampoo). The room was a little warm, but Calgary was going through a cold snap, so that was not a problem for me. The temperature controls were easy to operate. The room came with a coffee maker, small bar sink, microwave and a small bar fridge. All were very clean. The room also had a 40" flat screen TV mounted on the wall which worked extremely well.

I did not find the room noisy at all, in fact it was very quiet. I could not hear any noise from the adjoining room, parking lot, airport or hallway. The internet (wi-fi) worked fine (there is no password) and may not have been "lightening fast" it was good for e-mail, online news and social media sites.

The property had a small gym, pool and waterslide. I was curious and checked them out but never did use them. Everything seemed very well kept and clean. Finally, the breakfast (included for all guests) was the normal HIEx fare - muffins, cold cereal, fruit, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bagels, toast, danishes, sausages, yoghurt, orange juice and coffee. The breakfast room is bigger than most I have seen, clean and well appointed with table, chairs and flat screen TV with CTV News on. There is a dedicated lady who is constantly topping things up and wiping down tables. I would prefer that they did not use plastic cutlery and styrofoam cups and plates as it is not evironmentally smart. Also, I would prefer if HIEx could look into making the food even more fresh than it is, it does have an overly processed look and taste to it (ie. eggs, sausages, omelets, danishes, etc.)

The only nit-picky thing I have is that the hook on the back of the bathroom door was missing and the glass mirror on the closet had some drips on it (from a previous occupant's slushy boots?). Both criticisms were given to the front desk on check-out and were well received. Finally, I found the front desk to be very friendly and accomodating. I used the free airport shuttle twice and found it to be efficient.

I would come back and stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family