“Weekend Stay - All Good”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary
Ranked #65 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Clean comfortable rooms. Good location right by the airport. Free Wifi worked well. Staff were friendly on check in and check out, Cleaning staff always smiled and said hello. Kids loved the pool, adults were allowed to sit in the breakfast area in the evening and relax as a group as long as we behaved. Breakfast good, clean area. No issues/concerns whatsoever.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lightjug
GM_HIEAirportCalgary, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Lightjug,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are grateful for the nice comments regarding the staff here and the facilities. These detailed comments will definitely help a future traveler to Calgary on deciding where to stay, so we truly appreciate it. We are looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

This property is a newer one and has a nice setup and decent rooms at a convenient location. During my previous two stays, I have had problems with Wi-Fi internet but not this time. Now those are all the positives. For a Platinum Elite member of Priority Club rewards, this hotel does not like to upgrade people and the standard excuse offered to me was that the hotel is sold out. (I had spoken to the Guest Relations manager a day prior to arrival to this affect). Now that is certainly possible but I do not like to suffer fools. Upon check in, I used my cell phone to call the front desk and asked if a room was available. I was informed that I could have a suite for $195 (I was paying $148 for the standard two queen beds room). I left it that and felt cheated by the Priority Club for its inability to enforce uniform standards. Do not expect anyone to smile at the front desk or to make you feel welcome. It seems that they are all stressed out because of Management policies. The washrooms are good size but the amenities are basic, just towels, soaps and shampoo/conditioner. Do not expect vanity kits, mouthwash, shower gel or shoe shiners unlike other similar hotels of this chain. The quality of food and service for the breakfast was below average. Otherwise the stay was ok. I do not think it is a place where I will return to again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank psahaye
GM_HIEAirportCalgary, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear Psahaye,

I sincerely apologize your stay was less than perfect, I do want you to know we do value you very much as a Priority Club Platinum Member along with every single one of our Elite Priority Club Members who stay with us quite frequently. We do our very best to honor a minimum of 30 Platinum Members daily. We are a very popular and high traffic hotel of 100% occupancy every Monday -Thursday and are not always able to follow the Priority Club Rewards Rule of PCR Elite Members being eligible for an upgrade if available upon check in, due to us not having the availability. However we are able to offer upgrades in many different ways such as a high floor, being away from an elevator, ice machines, etc and that is something that is always done for our PCR Elite Members.

Thank you.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The holiday Inn express in Calgary is way more than I expected. The room is more like a suite and very well appointed. We have a lovely seating area with two large screen TV'S not that we are here long enough to watch TV but it certainly is a nice added touch

We even had deer visitors last night outside our window

The only complaint I might add is the towels are not that good quality. However the bed more than makes up for towel quality

Room Tip: There is no restaurant in the hotel so you must drive a fair distance for dining
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_HIEAirportCalgary, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you, lmochinski, for your nice review. I will be sure to pass this along to our Front Desk staff as the positive feedback is always energizing for the staff. Us and the deer look forward having you again,Lol. Thank you.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I travel quite a bit for business trips and usually stay at Holiday Inn Express when available.... I like the club rewards! Generally my stays are excellent, but this stay only okay. No warm fuzzies from the front desk staff at all... not even an acknowledgment when I came in and out. Trouble checking out as well...Corporate credit card was repeatedly declined and announced to the lobby but it must have gone through eventually.. . On top of that... empty apple dish most of the time. I have grown used to the fresh, crisp apples at other locations, sometimes even cookies at the front desk.
At any rate the room was great as usual; clean, fresh and well equipped for business and comfort. Breakfast good too.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I do truly apologize that your stay here with us was "not what you have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express". I can assure you that it is out of the norm. However you have given us great feedback to pass along to our Front Desk Staff and I promise acknowledging each and every one of our Guest is very important to us and the fact that you weren't acknowledged is not okay.

I apologize that you were disappointed in the empty apple bowl. We do not have a breakfast bar attendant on in the afternoons and it can go empty, as everyone loves crisp apples. Should it be brought to our attention upon noticing it is empty we do have lots to be able to replenish.

We would appreciate if you would provide us with the opportunity to make your unexceptional stay up to you in the future should your travels bring you back to Calgary, please contact myself-Tanya upon your return.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

My stay here was not good at all , First we drove three hours to get here for my boyfriends class he had to take in the am. we got here around 7 and the power was out in the hotel we had to walk 3 flight of stairs with our bags in the dark with a flashlight. Our room was pitch black, we left to go eat somewhere came back power was on and I found hair on the bed sheets also the toilet. Wake up in the morning to find the power off once again no alarm went off due to power , they had nothing for breakfast as there was no power . The staff did not offer to send us to another hotel or take money off the room. when it was the day of leaving i asked for a late check out as i was waiting for my boyfried to come back from his class with the only vehicle we had he got off around 230 i got told i needed to have my bags out by two very rudely . you kidding me we paid over 130.00 a night for no power, showering in the dark carrying our bags up the stairs in the dark, no hot tub, no tv, no "free breakfast" and when the power was on the tv had no service half the time anyway , and you couldnt let me stay and wait for a half hour .over all not a good stay left pissed off

• Stayed: April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear Shealyn88,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your comments about the room conditions and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 March 2013

My review is based solely on my UK Credit Card being rejected by the hotels swipe card reader. Rather than attempt an alternative method of entry (like type it in) the General Manager told me to stay elsewhere, no assistance, no alternative payment, and on the GM's instructions they wouldn't accept Debit Card or cash!! Much as I love a walk in the snow these guys were taking customer care to a new low. FYI, my bank advised they type in the card number and it worked immediately. Other than that the place is okay if remote from town or airport.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Desertbootz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Desertbootz,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Meetings in the northeast prompted me to choose this location over my usual stop downtown. The building is relatively new and the area is a bit empty but expanding. Keep in mind that Barlow Trail to the airport is closed right now so if you're taking a cab it's not as though the property is a short drive away. They do have shuttle although I had a rental car so I can't comment on that service.

I was on the first floor right by the elevators (rm 114). Despite the location there was very little noise coming into the room except for the moron guests who like to make phone calls while standing right outside a guest room door. Definitely not the hotel's fault but a "quiet please" sign might be helpful. The room has a jacuzzi tub and large desk. It is well appointed but the bathroom is an odd design. Everything was clean and functional but the space could have been better used. The room has a fridge and microwave, flat-screen tv (a bit small) and ample seating and storage areas. The wireless internet seemed relatively stable and fast enough but I opted to dig out the cable form under the desk to use the wired connection.

I found the bed to be a bit too firm but that's a personal thing. Also, the fake fireplace is a bit of a waste in my opinion. A real gas fireplace or some other thing to take up the space would be better. There is quite a stretch of floor tile as well so if you get up to use the loo without footwear on it is a bit cold. Keep in mind that the hotel is a bit out of the way but if you have a vehicle you're less than 10 minutes from a casino, shopping and many restaurants. There is also a Moxies across the way at the Sandman hotel.

Overall I would say it's a very good property that's easy to find, has a large breakfast area and friendly staff. If you're on business or need a stopover point for the airport then you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business