“OK but Could be Better”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mont royal
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It's a tradition over the years to go when I'm in town. I haven't been there for many years & I think some of the other reviewers are right, it's getting a bit run down. It could use an update but when are they going to do it, it's so busy.

Anyway, the picata & lemon that my friend had looked great & she said it was perfect. My saltimboca seemed a thin & a bit dried out, but it was OK. The wine was fine; the sabayon great. The service was very good so other things might be overlooked.

What I did notice & maybe it's my aging ears, is that it is very loud & hard to hear the person you are with over the general din.

1  Thank Gtosher
There are newer reviews for Buon Giorno Ristorante Italian

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've haven't been to this restaurant in a number of years, so it's basically like going the first time. We took mom there to celebrate her 87th birthday,. The place hasn't changed at all over the years which may be good or may be bad. It certainly could use an updating. The food itself was just ok, by my standards I've had better for cheaper. I had the risotto with shrimp, and asparagus. The tomato based sauce to this dish was almost overpowering, which didn't let you enjoy the delicate nature of the risotto itself, the prawns were nicely good, but the asparagus got lost in the dish. Mom had the sole with lemon,..which she enjoyed. The rest of the table got an array of dishes.

Fettucine, spagetts, lasagna, veal..etc...No one commented on an outstanding dinner. I guess this is normal for this place. Just a consistent Italian fare, but without any gusto.

2  Thank Niko88_11
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Dirty! I have eaten here before many years ago but must have been drunk from the wine back then as I do not recall this place being so dirty! I found a bug in my meal and when I alerted the waiter he said 'hmm, I don't know how that happened' no apology and he did not offer to comp anything from the bill. The floor was gross the food was average. Thr only thing this place has going on is location.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have eaten here many times and am always completely satisfied. The minestrone and the Caprese salat are irresistible to me. The service is faultless, with some staff there for many years. The decor is undoubtedly outdated, but honestly, it's warm and atmospheric, and I'm afraid that if they mess with it, they'll ruin everything. I'm not there for trendy decor.

1  Thank BogCottonCanada
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

This classic place still serves incredible food after all this time. I've celebrated everything from Valentines Day to our Family Christmas Party there. Consistently delicious - best scampi EVER.
I wonder if, considering the swanky location, it's not time for some modernizing in the decor?
There will be those who will say that could ruin it and "if it ain't broke..." And that's fine. I judt think it's good to keep the hipsters interested.

1  Thank AlyssaSaturley