“Calgarian tradition”

Price range: US$19 - US$42
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Caesar's is undeniably old school. Rich surroundings of burgundy leather and dark wood finishes evoke a sense of nostalgia. The space isn't the only thing that defines Caesar's, but rather a complete package. Caesar's has been captivating diners with the best aged, individually cut to order and charbroiled beef that Alberta has to offer, the art of service and value. Returning patrons often ask for their grandfather and / or father's table for a lively discussion over dinner to celebrate a special occasion or for an important business meeting. That is because a steak dinner is more than just a meal; it can turn into a ritual of sorts, best performed not by a restaurant, but by an institution. Caesar's Steakhouse was established in 1972 and the ownership has remained with the same family since inception. Our relationship with our customers, our suppliers and our team is what has made Caesar's a tradition in the Calgary community.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

For our first visit we opted for the Caesar's banquet which included cheese bread, soup initial, salad intermediate course in addition to your starter, main and dessert. The second visit I chose to miss the starter and go for the soup, salad and main. Even cutting it down to this I wasn't able to mange dessert on both occasions!

Cheese bread, soooo moreish!

The French Onion soup included in the banquet was the best I've had. Sweet onions in a beefy consommé finished of with the classic Parmesan floating toast.

Escargot, a simple and very satisfying little dish with six shells nestled in a garlic and butter sauce.

The salad leaves seemed a bit supermarket, with the huge selection of leaves available these days they can surly jazz up this intermediate dish. Having said that the dressings that came with my wife's and mine (Caesar & Balsamic) were fantastic.

Main course, We both ordered the fillet steak with lobster tail. The meat was spot on, the most tender I've eaten and cooked to perfection (medium Rare). The lobster tail was expertly separated from the shell in front of me and was served with clarified butter kept warm on a little candle burner. The lobster was meaty but not chewy and tasted sea fresh.

Sadly I didn't make it this far, absolutely stuffed.

The main desk was manned but she seemed more interested in her book than us, luckily the maitre d' was there already and swiftly showed us to our table. At the table our waiter (not a waitress to be seen anywhere) was courteous, slick and confident. No chit chat, just the pleasantries. Our glasses were kept topped up, I didn't need to touch the carafe once. I also asked for some Dijon mustard which came without fuss, at several other steak houses I've ended up with whole grain, English or American yellow.

Extensive wine list including budget and top end. After the usual traditions our wine was decanted in front of us into a carafe.

A very average entrance but once you're inside; Dark Oak and red leather, gold painted back lit glass and white Roman columns, very opulent decor for the 70's but I strangely still feel it works. At one end of the main dining room there is a chef in full whites cooking the meat on a white pedestal fire behind a glass partition.

A few minor points for improvement but an overall great experience. If you're in Calgary make time to eat here.

2  Thank Rob E

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having read reviews we were a bit skeptical about dining at Caesar's but so glad we decided to have dinner there on our last night in Calgary! Yes, decor may be a little dated but this did not bother me. Our waiter, named Mike was excellent, very friendly and certainly knew his steaks!!!! Our steak was cooked to perfection. It was delicious and would not hesitate to recommend this place.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Dark and dated decor - no surprise there. Uninspiring white toast bread with garlic butter or cheese, salty onion soup, salad and limp warm fries. The filet mignon steak was perfectly cooked to order. Should have ordered the filet without any topping in order to get a true sense of the flavour profile of the meat as opposed to having the topping mask the meat's flavour profile. Good wine selections but pricy. Service was good.

1  Thank P-G-TorontoON
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I visited Caesars while in Calgary for business, based on a recommendation from a local. Dinner was good. You get bread with soup, which was great. The salad was nothing special. But, the steak was very good! The waiter was very nice and attentive. It was a good choice to experience a good local dining experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Caesar's has been the"go to" place for a great steak in Calgary forever. I don't think anything about Caesar"s steakhouse has changed since the beginning either. But when something is this great why make changes -dated can be good- they are definitely doing things right to be around for so long & still everything remaining the original. Even the prices are not unreasonable compared to many other not-so outstanding restaurants. I expect Calgary's original steakhouse -"Caesar's"- to be around for a long time to come!