“An OK Japanese restaurant”
Review of Shikiji

Shikiji
Ranked #292 of 3,875 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed 14 June 2018

I came in for a business lunch the other day. It was OK. We all had Bento boxes. I had the tempura box. The sushis and sashimi was very good, the tempura I did not really enjoy. It was a little heavy.

The service was good.

I would come back, but I am not compelled to come back, hence the overall average rating.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I have been here many times to enjoy the chili goma ramen soup. I love this soup and could eat it every day. The prices there are ok, but a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. The food here is tasty and I have never had a bad meal here. The hours are a little weird but not a problem for me. The staff is very friendly and will help you with your choice. They have awesome sushi there, but I have never tried it myself, just don't like sushi. I will definitely return there again. I have also had take out from there and it is very good too.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE? WE WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN, EVER. IF ONLY WE COULD GIVE ZERO STARS...

Went there today and Im soooo sad to say its completely down the toilet...
This used to be one of only a few Calgary Japanese places run by Japanese (so you know you got as close to authentic as possible for what ingredients are available here).
** Well I am no culinary critic or expert on Japanese cooking, I have been from Hokkaido to Okinawa and pretty much everywhere in between over the span of 15 or so years so I at least have an educated idea for what food quality I should be getting (plus I have been going to Shikiji for almost the same length of time so I know what their standard should be). **
We drove from close to McKenzie Towne just to eat here and what a mistake.
There are no Japanese people working there anymore, they no longer offer Tonkotsu Ramen at all so my fiance ordered the chili goma, its was way too salty and had strange ingredients like saffron (at least it looked like saffron) and not nearly enough noodles, the miso soup had white onion in it (something I had never seen before anywhere in Japan or here anywhere else and even though I asked for no onions). I was also given a bowl or rice about 10 min before my bento came out so it was cold, dry and hard by the time I started to eat it, our server never once came back to see how our food was (the other server did come over once and asked how it was, telling her it was so so, she didnt ask why or seem to care at all and simply walked away). The teriyaki chicken only tasted of onion (no teriyaki flavour at all) so it was not edible for me and the sashimi were very small pieces and I had to go get the ponzu for the tempura myself (the tempura was far overdone as well). I ended up leaving alot of my food and the bill for a bento and one ramen was almost $35.

2  Thank S F
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Amazing sushi at Shikiji! I have been eating here for many many years and it NEVER disappoints! Everyone is very friendly, the space is nice and open!

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

This place has the best ramen in town ! The line is long and you can only stay there for 60min but it is sure worth it !
If you feel like you need good ramen this is your place to be !