“Best French Onion Soup”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mission
Reviewed 6 September 2012

kimd of a funky place looks like a shabby but stylish west bank bistro. Big guys will not fit well in the small chairs but that is in keeping with the theme.

Went in for lunch place had French onion soup which I liked the croutons served on the side allowing them to remain crispy while enjoying the soup.

Then had a very unusual Tarte Tatin served flamed with Calvados.

Bit expensive for what we got but cheaper than a plane ticket to Paris.

2  Thank Michael M

Reviewed 18 July 2012

fortunately... french food so much better than that !
ratatouille is not french ratatouille
ravioli is not french/italian ravioli
chocolate mouss is not french chocolate mouss
etc - etc- etc
and...
all out of price !
not good, not clean, not so friendly... what we would call in french : total "arnaque" !

4  Thank muriel F
Reviewed 3 July 2012

A little France in Canada! It has more of a french bistro feel than many places in Paris! Completely charming and always delicious food. Cozy tables where you can see what others are having and with the patrons being friendly you can always strike up a conversation. Cassoulet is a must, you need a big appetite.

2  Thank foodguru m
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I went to Fleur du Sel this Valentines Day because we had wanted to try it for a long time. First, and most importantly, the food was excellent. We both love French cuisine and Fleur du Sel did not disappoint at all. My cassoulet was authentic as anything I’ve tried outside of France and my wife’s shrimp dish was delicious as well.

It’s hard to judge a restaurant’s service based on Valentines Day alone, but there were a few areas where we were very much let down. We sat with empty dessert plates for at least half an hour without seeing a server and earlier, when we ordered wine, we were brought two ‘clean’ glasses that each had about an ounce of wine in them from a previous diner (Sauternes if you’re curious…). This was really odd but I would put this down more to the craziness of Valentines Day than to a deep problem with the service. At first, my wife and I were speechless but then we had a good laugh about it.

Overall, it is a good restaurant with very delicious and authentic French food. My only concern is that when a restaurant charges as much as they do, the service should live up to the same level. I hope to return soon on a day that is not the 14th of February.

3  Thank TDF_Abroad
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I live down the street and go to Fleur de Sel 4-5 times a year. I've had a great meal every visit: the onion soup as an appetizer and rack of lamb main course are consistently wonderful.

Surprised by some of the poor reviews: the food and atmosphere are superb as far as I'm concerned.

3  Thank MarkHeard