“Good Food, Good Service”
Review of Higher Ground

Higher Ground
Ranked #5 of 138 Coffee & Tea in Calgary
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Reviewed 26 July 2012

10 years later and I keep coming back. It must be good. I like that Higher Ground offers food, breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, wine. They are always consistent, always affordable and always tasty.

The decor...meh...it doesn't matter to me what the decor is like. Service rocks + food is good = Winning.

We stopped in for a coffee following dinner in Kensington. Hubs & I had coffee, the boy had a cookie and we shared a coconut crave bar. Service was good, prompt. Coffee was intense...with darn good foam on my cappuccino (I tried turning the spoon upside down over hubs head and the foam stayed put). No doubt Higher Ground gives good foam.

And the coconut crave bar, to die for...if you are a coconut fan that is.
Delightful in all ways.

1  Thank Robswife2004

Reviewed 29 May 2012

If I lived in Kensington I'd probably start (and end?) every day at Higher Ground. Their coffee is some of the best I've tasted, and with free trade coffee and quality tea I'm impressed and very satisfied every time I go in. Great staff and a great place to meet people and stay for a while.

1  Thank superfluous_jane
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Located in one of the more hip urban areas of Calgary, Higher Ground is a big disappointment. The tables are often covered in old dishes or newspapers that people were reading and left on the table. Service is only OK & prices are pretty high. I find the coffee to be average at best & simply not worth the price. I also find the cafe rather warm inside with little airflow.

I suspect part of the draw to this place is it's location and it's "hipster value". Sadly, there is little that's original or good about this place.

1  Thank WestCoastFred
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The best part of was the chocolate whip cream on my hot chocolate. We went there on a sunday afternoon and it was jammed packed. Kind of on the messy side and they had run out of banana bread and muffins. There bakery bin was empty!! It was hard to find a place to sit even though its so big.

1  Thank Deevanee
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This place is in the heart of Kensington, and has a great atmosphere and crowd. The coffees are pretty good, but it's the laid back and hip feel that draws people there.

1  Thank no_stops