“Needs some maintenance”

Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Reviewed 8 April 2013

After many years as one of my favorite spots, HG seems to be slipping in character and vibe. There are lots of small repairs needed and the space suffers from general neglect. I hope that ownership cleans, repairs and returns HG to its rightful place.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Go here often while in Kensington hood. Always busy with a wonderfully eclectic mix of patrons. Lot's of tables, well spread out in a marvelously random manner. Robust menu of teas and coffee concoctions, and fine selection of lite fare for snacks or lite meals. Staff always their own eclectic mix, who really seem to be enjoying themselves. Clean but lived in, this coffee shack is a treat.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I visited this place today for a casual lunch with a girlfriend. I apologize to anyone reading this who wants a review on the coffee or tea. I don't drink coffee or tea, so it's just comments on the food.

I ordered the Cheese Dream sandwich. Oh my goodness it was just that... a CHEESE DREAM. It was absolutely fantastic. They make their sandwiches fresh to order. The Cheese Dream is monterey jack, cheddar cheese, red onion, tomato and a garlic aioli all loaded into an Italian flatbread and then grilled to perfection. It sounds like one of those sandwiches that you might think would make you feel sick after eating it, but it was just the right size for a quick lunch.

I also ordered a homemade oreo stuffed cookie. That means it was a cookie with oreo crumbling on top and baked with a whole oreo cookie on the inside of it. It was ok, nothing to write home about. It wasn't hard but it could have been softer. It seemed a little pricey for the size of it. I think the idea of an oreo inside a cookie is still genius, and I'm going to try to make it one of these days...

The staff was very friendly. They seemed like they wanted to be there, instead of people just coming to work because they have to. It was busy when I went, but of course it was a Sunday in Kensington. It's not a handicap accessible place; there are stairs at the front of the building, hence the name Higher Ground.

A few things I liked about this place:
- There was a self serve water station located to the left of the cashiers with glasses. I think that's a great idea, people don't have to stand in line to get something that's free as well as important (to me anyways).
- Even though I'm not a coffee drinker, there was a lot of visible selection.
- Lots of selection of dessert as well (which will always guarantee my return)
- If you order a sandwich or something else that needs to be prepared, they give you this large wooden statue of a spoon and it has a number on it. You take your spoon to your table and they bring you your dish, instead of yelling out your order for you to come pick it up. This is great, because it avoids there being a large crowd of people hanging around next to the cashiers to get there food and drinks.

I would visit this place again.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

This is where we like to stop Wednesday mornings with the grandkids. The coffee is superb and the kids love the massive cookies. It is one of the city's unique coffee shops and eateries because it added a glass ceiling after a renovation and their is always colourful local art on the walls. Still, the mellow coffee blend, Dave and the skilled baristas keep me coming back for a flavourful wake-me-up warm-me-up.

1  Thank ghryan
Reviewed 26 July 2012

10 years later and I keep coming back. It must be good. I like that Higher Ground offers food, breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, wine. They are always consistent, always affordable and always tasty.

The decor...meh...it doesn't matter to me what the decor is like. Service rocks + food is good = Winning.

We stopped in for a coffee following dinner in Kensington. Hubs & I had coffee, the boy had a cookie and we shared a coconut crave bar. Service was good, prompt. Coffee was intense...with darn good foam on my cappuccino (I tried turning the spoon upside down over hubs head and the foam stayed put). No doubt Higher Ground gives good foam.

And the coconut crave bar, to die for...if you are a coconut fan that is.
Delightful in all ways.