“You won't be disappointed”

Il Chianti Restaurant
Ranked #198 of 3,546 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Edmonton, Canada
“You won't be disappointed”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great food for an excellent price. Each pasta entry was about $10. The food was excellent and the service was great. It was a very busy restaurant. Suggest making reservations.

Visited August 2013

“A wonderful evening”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I went to Il Chianti's for a meal with friends, and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service there. We began the meal with Calamari alla Franco, with squid perfectly tender in a flavourful sauce composed of garlic, scallions, tomato and chili peppers. I ordered a chicken dish, Pollo all'Arancio e Marscapone, with a sauce composed of sherry, oranges and marscapone cheese. The chicken was very tender and the sauce was delicious. The accompanying vegetables were a nice variety, nicely cooked and not overdone. My husband ordered Trota Arcobaleno, a trout dish that he very much enjoyed. Our friends ordered the Scaloppine alla Chianti, , a lovely veal dish with mushrooms that I was lucky to have had a taste of (I would definitely order this). The Vitello alla Pizzaiola completed our dinner order. This veal dish was also very nicely prepared with garlic, onions, tomato and capers. We also ordered desserts, including their gluten free option, which was much appreciated, as one of the party can't have gluten. I tasted all the desserts, and they were a very nice ending to the meal. The only weak spot in the meal, I felt, was the bread. Just OK. Seating was comfortable, and the ambiance very enjoyable (they renovated quite recently). Service was courteous and patient, as part of our party arrived late. We felt grateful the service staff were helpful with gluten free options for the dinner as well. All in all, we felt very well treated and will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Calgary, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Italian Food”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I ordered the Veal Parmesan, house salad and bruschetta and my girlfriend order the cannelloni. Te server was very friendly and knowledgeable. The owner, Frank Bonafede, even visited our table to ask how it was the service and food. The portions were large and the price was reasonable but not expensive. I would recommend this restaurant for a nice romantic or business dinner or even for lunch.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Safety12345
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Food and Fine Dining Experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Whenever we want a fine dining and fine wine experience or to treat friends, Il Chianti is the first restaurant that comes to mind, you cannot go wrong! The food is always fabulous, you may wait a little longer but that is fine dining, the pasta is always freshly cooked after the order is placed! Fresh home made tomato sauces, hot fresh buns. My favourite meal is Gamberi Cardinale, steaming Linguine with fresh tomato sauce and nine large cooked to perfection prawns, always served with two vegetables also cooked to perfection. Awesome!. All of the food is awesome! You have to try the freshly made bruchetta! Oh yes, the Italian dessert Tiramisu is also a must.
The staff goes out of their way to insure the service is first class.
The atmosphere at this family owned and operated restaurant is relaxing, friendly with a beautifully up to date newly renovated modern decor. Everything is spotless!. Even the ladies wash room is interesting!
We love this restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jean P
Calgary
“SLOW SERVICE, AVERAGE FOOD, EXPENSIVE PRICES”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

The restaurant is clean, modern, and, quite frankly stark. The only interesting piece of decor is a print of the Mona Lisa, ant it's stuck behind the bar where almost no one can see it.

The service is slow, slow, slow. The serving of bread is an uninspired dinner roll. There is no warm, fresh, Italian bread with perhaps, olive oil, to dip it in.

The red house wine is passable, but nothing special.

The salad was excellent; the veal was good, but not remarkable.

Will I go back again? No. The service is just too slow, and the food is not that special for the price.

• Visited March 2013