“Great Irish attmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

James Joyce Irish Pub
Ranked #15 of 3,497 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Pub, Canadian, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Beverly hills, fl
“Great Irish attmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I were walking the pedestrian street and as we came across the James Joyce Irish Pub restaurant and decided to give it a try and we are glad we did. As the weather was sunny and warm we decided to eat outside and people watch as we ate. The service was very quick in fact we probably delayed the waitress in trying to decide what to have with all the choices. When we arrived at about 11:30 there were only 3 other couples sitting outside eating. By 12:00 there was not an empty seat and there are probably 30 tables outside.
Our meals came hot and well proportioned. My wife's French fries were homemade and delicious and the sandwich was over flowing the roll.. My shepards pie was delicious as well. After finishing our meal I went inside and it was very authentic reminding me of inside a pub when I visited Ireland years ago. If in Calgary and want to enjoy an Irish atmosphere with good food and drink visit this pub.

• Visited May 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Traditional Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Good atmosphere with a good choice of traditional food which was very tasty. Staff pleasant and quick service.

Visited July 2013
“Nice selection of beers and good menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Visited for a few pints and a bite to eat. Friendly knowledgable staff. Good selection of import beers and a nice menu; lamb burger and black bean burger were both very good. Nice atmosphere, music not too loud

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We head to the James Joyce pretty regularly and have always had great service. Staff is friendly, and it's great when they have live music.

The food is amazing and some of the most authentic Irish in Calgary. You can't beat the curry sauce, or the garlic fries (these are the best, definitely try them with the curry!).

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Definitely not an authentic Irish pub - FALSE Advertising”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Recently while on holiday a couple of my friends and I decided to call in for a few drinks to what looked like a nice Irish pub. Being from Ireland we thought it would be a home from home however we were bitterly disappointed. The bar staff (including the manager) were rude and abrasive to both me and my friends on several occasions - it certainly lacked the Irish charm which is expected. The barman (being from Dundalk) lacked a personality never mind the Irish charm. He ignored us a number of times, did not engage with us and simply did not provide the quality of service you would expect from a establishment in the hospitality industry.

However the worse part of the evening was when my friend went to go to the toilet - while he was away the 'manager' approached us and took his drink to one side and said 'He is having no more, he is disorientated downstairs and is staggering about in the alleyway - obviously you've been drinking before you came in here'. This initially came as a shock however we accepted her judgement - for the record we had not been drinking beforehand - she had confused having a bit of craic with being drunk! Once my friend returned we questioned him about it to which he replied 'I couldn't find them - there was hardly any signs'. Another friend in our company who was not drinking agreed with him about the poor signage and the fact that you had to down stairs and then down a long corridor which did not clearly indicate where the toilets were. At this point, my friend continued to drink his pint until the manager came over and snatched the drink out of his hand and poured it down the sink. She continued to accuse him of having too much to drink, my sober friend pointed out to the 'manager' that once she saw him 'staggering about the alleyway' did she ask him was he alright, was he looking for something? Instead she made a poor judgement call which resulted on us finishing our drinks and leaving. This was awful service and a clear display of poor management.

As for the menu, beets salad, roast beef sliders? Not exactly Irish staples! For this reason we chose not to eat in here.
This place has no Irish character and collecting a few souvenirs from their travels does not make a pub Irish. Advertising yourself as an Irish pub - the pyramids in Egypt are more Irish!!

• Visited April 2014