“Lack of Service”

Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had dinner at the Joyce James Irish Pub in Calgary on 2nd June 2014. We had terrible service and the meal was cold, I emailed the Manager and one week later no reply.

It was a disappointment from the time we walked in at about 8.00 PM. Two of the female wait staff looked at us reading a menu and walked away with no assistance to find a table or to see if any questions re the menu. After waiting with my wife for about 4-5 minutes one of the bar staff used his initiative and got us to a table, a menu and took our drink orders, that was much appreciated.

After about 3-4 minutes one of the female wait staff came to see if we were okay for drinks, we advised we had already ordered drinks from the bar staff. She left and came back a few minutes later with the drinks. We waited a further 10 minutes for the wait staff to come and take our meal order, if I hadn’t had the beers on the table I would have walked out prior to waitress coming back, something I don’t do.

We ordered Guinness Onion Rings and two Steak and Guinness Pies. The meals came relatively quickly with the onion rings being very nice and tasty, compliments for the chef. The Steak and Guinness Pies were only lukewarm, the wait staff asked how our meal was and I advised that mine was not hot, my wife advised the same. We were offered to get the meals reheated. We declined as by this time we just wanted to finish our meals and leave. The
Steak and Guinness Pies were a beautiful taste but just not hot which deteriorated from the overall experience.

When we got the bill the wait staff had an incorrect price as listed in the menu, it was only $1.00 extra per item but as far as we were concerned the menu stated the correct price. When I queried this I was advised the lunch price was $12.00 for the Steak and Guinness Pies, I showed the dinner menu price at $11.00, I was told the price was supposed to be $12.00 and that was what I should pay, I said no and would only pay the $11.00. It took approximately 8-10
minutes to get the bill corrected with no effort to get it fixed quickly, nearly going slow to make us wait.

The service was virtually non-existent.

1  Thank Peter_Cairns_11

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent place and good beers on tap. Bartenders are excellent and friendly. Good beer options on tap.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I were walking the pedestrian street and as we came across the James Joyce Irish Pub restaurant and decided to give it a try and we are glad we did. As the weather was sunny and warm we decided to eat outside and people watch as we ate. The service was very quick in fact we probably delayed the waitress in trying to decide what to have with all the choices. When we arrived at about 11:30 there were only 3 other couples sitting outside eating. By 12:00 there was not an empty seat and there are probably 30 tables outside.
Our meals came hot and well proportioned. My wife's French fries were homemade and delicious and the sandwich was over flowing the roll.. My shepards pie was delicious as well. After finishing our meal I went inside and it was very authentic reminding me of inside a pub when I visited Ireland years ago. If in Calgary and want to enjoy an Irish atmosphere with good food and drink visit this pub.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Good atmosphere with a good choice of traditional food which was very tasty. Staff pleasant and quick service.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Visited for a few pints and a bite to eat. Friendly knowledgable staff. Good selection of import beers and a nice menu; lamb burger and black bean burger were both very good. Nice atmosphere, music not too loud