“A Great First Experience with Hungarian Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A Great First Experience with Hungarian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was in Calgary for one-month job training and I passed this place very often as I go to my office from the apartment. At first the restaurant didn't seem like a good one since it's often closed when I passed it. But I googled it and found that it got very good review in TripAdvisor, so I decided to try it.

And I'm glad that I tried it. Went there with my flatmate, I ordered Chicken Paprikash and he ordered Beef Stew with Pasta (or something like that). They have small and regular options for the portion, we ordered regular. We got complimentary slices of bread, along with butter and few slices of hot chili pepper. When our food came, I was satisfied by the portion. The Chicken Paprikash was delicious! I've also tried my friend's Beef Stew, but although it was also delicious, I still prefer my Chicken Paprikash. Judging from the taste and portion, I think the price is fair. I forgot the exact price, but if I'm not mistaken, small portion is around CAD 9 and regular portion is around CAD 16-17 or so. Please do CMIIW.

The atmosphere is also quite nice, though I prefer a place with a bit more ambient light. I guess this place will be a good one to visit with friends, family, or even with your significant other. But remember to reserve beforehand if you're going with big groups as the place can only accommodate around 20-25 people at a time. Overall, this place is a good place to dine out.

• Visited August 2013

Vulcan, Canada
“Hungarian Comfort Food. I dream about it often.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I have been to Jonas once while visiting Calgary. We had a reservation and it was needed as was quite busy on a Friday night and is not a large place. The owner/hostess/server was very pleasant and efficient, sat down with us and chatted a little. Definitely "mom and pop" feel but the food quality is excellent. Hungarian comfort food, served elegantly, yet humbly. I had the mushroom paprikash and dream about this dish all the time. I will return soon.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank chloe_giles
Calgary Alberta Canada
“The Best Hungarian Restaurant in Calgary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Six of us recently went to Jonas’ Restaurant on a Saturday night. It was the first time at this restaurant for all of us. We called for a six o’clock reservation and were told that several other large tables had already booked for 6 o’clock and could we change our time by half an hour. I liked this response very much. Rather than arriving at the same time as everyone else and getting challenging service the hostess took care of business and made our reservation work not only for the restaurant but for us.

The atmosphere at Jonas' Restaurant is very “mum and pop”. The room is decorated tastefully with all things Hungarian: clothing, linens, figurines and the like. The room is divided into several sections to increase privacy and reduce noise. All staff speak Hungarian to one another and as a customer they are happy to speak English or Hungarian with you. The restaurant advertises as being “home cooking” where one can experience a taste of Europe with the specialties of Hungary. They succeed well in delivering what they advertise especially home style Hungarian food and drink at affordable prices.

We started with drinks and they have a good selection of beers and wines. There is a complete list of the food and drinks at Jonas’ Restaurant web site which is easy to use and informative. Our group had a selection of European beers from the Czech Republic and Germany. Drinks were promptly served and food orders taken. It was only 15 or 20 minutes and the main plates arrived. Among us we had numerous dishes including beef stew with egg drop noodles, breaded catfish, and chicken paprikash with homemade dumplings. The meat in the beef stew was tender and lean. The egg drop noodles were properly cooked – not chewy undercooked or mushy overcooked. We noticed that vegetables were previously frozen. This though is not a problem to me as Jonas does not advertise as “fine dining” and the prices reflect a more home cooking style meal. The chicken paprikash was said to be authentic in its preparation by the Hungarian Canadian guest who had it. The catfish was cooked properly and seasoned well. That guest asked for and got a tartar sauce which he said was the best tartar sauce he had ever had. That guest has a history of working in restaurants and presently works in the wholesale food business and compliments like that are not given freely. Service throughout the meal was attentive without being intrusive with such things as water being refilled and dishes cleared in a timely manner. Good food and drinks, in a pleasant setting at affordable prices explains why this establishment has been in business for over 14 years.

Dessert was planned for elsewhere but we noted Jonas has a complete selection of crepes which are a Hungarian favorite. We saw other guests being served crepes and watched them enjoying the crepes so from that point of view they are worth trying next time we go Jonas’ Restaurant. There is plenty of on street parking in front of the restaurant which is free after six. This restaurant is recommended and I would encourage the use of reservations to ensure a table.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Travellingtheworld1
Calgary
“Great food and value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

We have been to Jona's numerous times and unlike the previous reviewer, found the owners very pleasant and the food delicious. Also, the prices are very reasonable. Check out all the positive reviews before you make your desicion.

• Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“We were treated very rudely from the start by the female owner, upon entering the restaurant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Excited to celebrate our Anniversary in Calgary, the first thing I did was look for a Hungarian restaurant. I love Hungarian food...my mother-in-law who grew up in Budapest, Hungary taught me to cook authentic Hungarian dishes, of which I have cooked for over 30 years. I always enjoy trying new Hungarian restaurants wherever I travel. We made reservations at Jonas' and the owner was very friendly on the phone. However, when we arrived we were treated rudely from the start and I received glaring looks from the female owner; I was shocked at the difference in character. The owner was very rude, and spoke very loud as she corrected our choice of wine...loud enough that people were looking over at our table! I felt embarrassed at being treated so rudely! My husband ordered the “Wiener Schnitzel from pork with home-made potato” which tasted and looked like it was deep fried; the potatoes were boiled and served alongside cooked frozen vegetables. I ordered the “Chicken Paprikash served with home-made Dumplings”, the texture and taste of the sauce had an unfamiliar quality...my overall impression of the taste was that of Hungarian fast food. On a day of celebration, we left feeling disappointed and sad. We will not be going back.

• Visited February 2012