“Jonas' Is Simply Hungarian Comfort Food - Excellently Done”
Review of Jonas' Restaurant

Jonas' Restaurant
Ranked #178 of 3,643 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Step into everything Hungarian, and the only authentic Hungarian restaurant in Calgary and be prepared to eat very well. Rozsa, the owner, served us very well and explained our choices.

We had the Hungarian Cabbage Rolls (2 very large rolls with smoky pork meat) served with red cabbage sauerkraut, an overflowing plate of Chicken Paprikash and home-made Dumplings (spaetzle) and Breaded Deep-Fried Cheese served with Home-Made Potato. That last one, the Home-Made Potato doesn't sound like much but I could have eaten several helpings and was disappointed when it was gone.

Couldn't really decide a favourite dish. But the two of us couldn't finish what we ordered. So to ensure that we had enough for leftovers at home, we ordered up more Chicken Paprikash.

The surprise though, was the Hungarian wines. The Dunavar is a Merlot-Cabernet and very mild, a nice pairing. The best though, was the Tokaji (Yellow Muscat). We ordered more of this white wine. Outstanding and a little on the sweet side - which went very well with every dish we ordered.

This is going to become a regular restaurant for us. Wednesday nights are quiet and relaxing and Jonas'. You simply must eat here.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was in Calgary for one-month job training and I passed this place very often as I go to my office from the apartment. At first the restaurant didn't seem like a good one since it's often closed when I passed it. But I googled it and found that it got very good review in TripAdvisor, so I decided to try it.

And I'm glad that I tried it. Went there with my flatmate, I ordered Chicken Paprikash and he ordered Beef Stew with Pasta (or something like that). They have small and regular options for the portion, we ordered regular. We got complimentary slices of bread, along with butter and few slices of hot chili pepper. When our food came, I was satisfied by the portion. The Chicken Paprikash was delicious! I've also tried my friend's Beef Stew, but although it was also delicious, I still prefer my Chicken Paprikash. Judging from the taste and portion, I think the price is fair. I forgot the exact price, but if I'm not mistaken, small portion is around CAD 9 and regular portion is around CAD 16-17 or so. Please do CMIIW.

The atmosphere is also quite nice, though I prefer a place with a bit more ambient light. I guess this place will be a good one to visit with friends, family, or even with your significant other. But remember to reserve beforehand if you're going with big groups as the place can only accommodate around 20-25 people at a time. Overall, this place is a good place to dine out.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I have been to Jonas once while visiting Calgary. We had a reservation and it was needed as was quite busy on a Friday night and is not a large place. The owner/hostess/server was very pleasant and efficient, sat down with us and chatted a little. Definitely "mom and pop" feel but the food quality is excellent. Hungarian comfort food, served elegantly, yet humbly. I had the mushroom paprikash and dream about this dish all the time. I will return soon.

1  Thank chloe_giles
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Six of us recently went to Jonas’ Restaurant on a Saturday night. It was the first time at this restaurant for all of us. We called for a six o’clock reservation and were told that several other large tables had already booked for 6 o’clock and could we change our time by half an hour. I liked this response very much. Rather than arriving at the same time as everyone else and getting challenging service the hostess took care of business and made our reservation work not only for the restaurant but for us.

The atmosphere at Jonas' Restaurant is very “mum and pop”. The room is decorated tastefully with all things Hungarian: clothing, linens, figurines and the like. The room is divided into several sections to increase privacy and reduce noise. All staff speak Hungarian to one another and as a customer they are happy to speak English or Hungarian with you. The restaurant advertises as being “home cooking” where one can experience a taste of Europe with the specialties of Hungary. They succeed well in delivering what they advertise especially home style Hungarian food and drink at affordable prices.

We started with drinks and they have a good selection of beers and wines. There is a complete list of the food and drinks at Jonas’ Restaurant web site which is easy to use and informative. Our group had a selection of European beers from the Czech Republic and Germany. Drinks were promptly served and food orders taken. It was only 15 or 20 minutes and the main plates arrived. Among us we had numerous dishes including beef stew with egg drop noodles, breaded catfish, and chicken paprikash with homemade dumplings. The meat in the beef stew was tender and lean. The egg drop noodles were properly cooked – not chewy undercooked or mushy overcooked. We noticed that vegetables were previously frozen. This though is not a problem to me as Jonas does not advertise as “fine dining” and the prices reflect a more home cooking style meal. The chicken paprikash was said to be authentic in its preparation by the Hungarian Canadian guest who had it. The catfish was cooked properly and seasoned well. That guest asked for and got a tartar sauce which he said was the best tartar sauce he had ever had. That guest has a history of working in restaurants and presently works in the wholesale food business and compliments like that are not given freely. Service throughout the meal was attentive without being intrusive with such things as water being refilled and dishes cleared in a timely manner. Good food and drinks, in a pleasant setting at affordable prices explains why this establishment has been in business for over 14 years.

Dessert was planned for elsewhere but we noted Jonas has a complete selection of crepes which are a Hungarian favorite. We saw other guests being served crepes and watched them enjoying the crepes so from that point of view they are worth trying next time we go Jonas’ Restaurant. There is plenty of on street parking in front of the restaurant which is free after six. This restaurant is recommended and I would encourage the use of reservations to ensure a table.

2  Thank Travellingtheworld1
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We have been to Jona's numerous times and unlike the previous reviewer, found the owners very pleasant and the food delicious. Also, the prices are very reasonable. Check out all the positive reviews before you make your desicion.