“Nice European flair”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
“Nice European flair”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

First let me say I've never been to Hungary but I know that I'd like the food if it's anything like that we had at Jonas. We went for an early supper and we got quick and friendly service. one of our group has been to Hungary and said we got food that was very similar to that in Budapest except that there was more heat in the food there - obviously things were turned down for the Canadians. We had the cabbage rolls which were huge; the goulash bean soup and the schnitzels with potatoes. The portions were sizable and of a reasonable cost. All were good though the schnitzel had a bit too much breading. All in all it was a good meal and we will go back. Next time I want to try the chicken paprikash.

• Visited April 2014

Calgary, Canada
“Ambassadors of authentic Hungarian cuisine”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My first tripadvisor review, couldn't hold it back after my experience tonight.

I am in the middle of moving to Calgary from Ottawa and am completely unfamiliar with local restaurants. I was searching for a good restaurant on the net and came across Jonas' at downtown Calgary.
Reservation and service was friendly and bilingual (English and Hungarian), food was fantastic. I started with a real Hungarian chicken soup, with extra fine cut noodles (cernametelt), followed by a chicken snitzel with my favourite, home made, a touch onion flavoured potato, and cucumber salad with sour cream.
For dessert I had Gundel palacsinta, the famous Hungarian pencakes: filled with ground nuts and served with chocolate cream souce. Finished my dinner with an excellent espresso.
Neither my wife or my mom (both excellent Hungarian cooks) could have made a better dinner. Thank you Rozsa and Chef Janos!
Portions are large (see the unfortunately quite blurry picture) at fair price.
Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2014
Vernon, Canada
“Authentic Hungarian”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

As close to home as it gets.
I travel a lot, but when in Calgary I always make a point of dining here.
The food, decor and being able to hear and speak Hungarian thrills me to no end.
I had the Cucumber salad( Uborka Saláta)
Chicken paprikash with homemade noodles. (Csírkepaprikás Nokedlíval)
Portions are large and I never think I can eat it all, but It's so good though I can't leave anything on my plate.
I took dessert to go which was the the famous Hungarian crepe.
Ground Nut and Chocolate Crepes
(Gundel Palacsinta)
A place I will return to EVERYTIME!!

Calgary, Canada
“Jonas' Is Simply Hungarian Comfort Food - Excellently Done”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Step into everything Hungarian, and the only authentic Hungarian restaurant in Calgary and be prepared to eat very well. Rozsa, the owner, served us very well and explained our choices.

We had the Hungarian Cabbage Rolls (2 very large rolls with smoky pork meat) served with red cabbage sauerkraut, an overflowing plate of Chicken Paprikash and home-made Dumplings (spaetzle) and Breaded Deep-Fried Cheese served with Home-Made Potato. That last one, the Home-Made Potato doesn't sound like much but I could have eaten several helpings and was disappointed when it was gone.

Couldn't really decide a favourite dish. But the two of us couldn't finish what we ordered. So to ensure that we had enough for leftovers at home, we ordered up more Chicken Paprikash.

The surprise though, was the Hungarian wines. The Dunavar is a Merlot-Cabernet and very mild, a nice pairing. The best though, was the Tokaji (Yellow Muscat). We ordered more of this white wine. Outstanding and a little on the sweet side - which went very well with every dish we ordered.

This is going to become a regular restaurant for us. Wednesday nights are quiet and relaxing and Jonas'. You simply must eat here.

• Visited September 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A Great First Experience with Hungarian Food”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was in Calgary for one-month job training and I passed this place very often as I go to my office from the apartment. At first the restaurant didn't seem like a good one since it's often closed when I passed it. But I googled it and found that it got very good review in TripAdvisor, so I decided to try it.

And I'm glad that I tried it. Went there with my flatmate, I ordered Chicken Paprikash and he ordered Beef Stew with Pasta (or something like that). They have small and regular options for the portion, we ordered regular. We got complimentary slices of bread, along with butter and few slices of hot chili pepper. When our food came, I was satisfied by the portion. The Chicken Paprikash was delicious! I've also tried my friend's Beef Stew, but although it was also delicious, I still prefer my Chicken Paprikash. Judging from the taste and portion, I think the price is fair. I forgot the exact price, but if I'm not mistaken, small portion is around CAD 9 and regular portion is around CAD 16-17 or so. Please do CMIIW.

The atmosphere is also quite nice, though I prefer a place with a bit more ambient light. I guess this place will be a good one to visit with friends, family, or even with your significant other. But remember to reserve beforehand if you're going with big groups as the place can only accommodate around 20-25 people at a time. Overall, this place is a good place to dine out.

• Visited August 2013