“Great food”

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Excellent food, will definitely go back next time I'm in Calgary. Tried the chicken paprikash, one of my favorite childhood dishes, and it didn't disappoint. My whole family loved it as well. We also shared a beef stew with egg drop noodle, and it was also wonderful. They close fairly early, so we ordered it to go; kitchen closes at 8:30, restaurant at 9. Highly recommended, so don't pass up this delicious and authentic Hungarian food.

There are newer reviews for Jonas' Restaurant

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Restaurant is located in downtown Calgary on 6 Ave near 9 Street. It is quite small with many nice and typical Hungarian decorations all over the walls. The Hungarian couple who owns and runs it is very nice and friendly, always ready to help and smile. The food is great! The menu contains typical Hungarian cooking and the portions are large. Very tasty. I highly recommend the Paprikás (chicken in paprika sauce with wonderful noodles), the been goulash soup or one of the beef pörkölt (gentle saucy beef) or the daily special of duck. And you can start your feast with appetizers like a shot of Hungarian pálinka (strong plum, apricot or pear brandy) and finish with gundel palacsinta (special Hungarian pancake). Jó étvágyat :)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Had dinner tonight and it was the best food I've had in a long time. Wonderful crispy pork schnitzel and Mushroom Paprikash with dumplings. OMG!!! Everything was so good and we shared each others dishes. Dessert was 2 light crepes filled with sweetened cottage cheese. A perfect ending to a perfect meal! If you like Eastern European food, check this place out.

2  Thank hotbaba
Reviewed 20 April 2014

First let me say I've never been to Hungary but I know that I'd like the food if it's anything like that we had at Jonas. We went for an early supper and we got quick and friendly service. one of our group has been to Hungary and said we got food that was very similar to that in Budapest except that there was more heat in the food there - obviously things were turned down for the Canadians. We had the cabbage rolls which were huge; the goulash bean soup and the schnitzels with potatoes. The portions were sizable and of a reasonable cost. All were good though the schnitzel had a bit too much breading. All in all it was a good meal and we will go back. Next time I want to try the chicken paprikash.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

My first tripadvisor review, couldn't hold it back after my experience tonight.

I am in the middle of moving to Calgary from Ottawa and am completely unfamiliar with local restaurants. I was searching for a good restaurant on the net and came across Jonas' at downtown Calgary.
Reservation and service was friendly and bilingual (English and Hungarian), food was fantastic. I started with a real Hungarian chicken soup, with extra fine cut noodles (cernametelt), followed by a chicken snitzel with my favourite, home made, a touch onion flavoured potato, and cucumber salad with sour cream.
For dessert I had Gundel palacsinta, the famous Hungarian pencakes: filled with ground nuts and served with chocolate cream souce. Finished my dinner with an excellent espresso.
Neither my wife or my mom (both excellent Hungarian cooks) could have made a better dinner. Thank you Rozsa and Chef Janos!
Portions are large (see the unfortunately quite blurry picture) at fair price.
Highly recommended.