“Good lunch buffet but few choices”
Review of Maurya

Maurya
Ranked #847 of 3,603 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Calgary, Canada
“Good lunch buffet but few choices”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My friend and I have been there twice on different occasions for the lunch buffet and the food is excellent. The service is spotty at best, but we like being left alone. However the choices in the buffet aren't too many for the price: about $15 per person. Few desserts, the curries are nearly identical in taste, but tasty and fattening. Be sure to have paid for parking because the spots are regularly checked. It appears to be run on a skeletal staff. One of the times we arrived at 11:30 AM for lunch (when they open) and they were not even ready. We had to wait until noon to start on a few dishes. By 12:30 the food was all there, but we had already eaten.

• Visited December 2012

Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic Food and Experience”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I recently stayed at the beautiful Kensington Riverside Inn with my wife and five year-old daughter. We went for a walk in Kensingtoin and found Maurya for my birthday dinner.
We were greeted and seated warmly by the hostess. The decor was colourful and tasteful. There was a nice buzz of happy diners enjoying their meals. Our server Ann was fantastic. She was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. We had lots of questions and needed to find something for our daughter who can't eat spice the way we do. Ann led us through the menu and made suggestions for modifications which would suit our needs. Her recommendations were all great. Of particular note were the Indian-style chicken wings. They were hot and spicy with a depth of flavour in the spice that made them unlike any other wings I’ve had. We munched through several of the very yummy papadams while waiting for our entrees. I wish I had four stomachs to eat all the incredible food. We had a lamb dish and a chicken dish as well as some veg and rice. Each dish was uniquely spiced to accentuate the flavours of the foods. I wanted to try some dessert but was simply too stuffed.
With such fantastic food and wonderful servers like Ann, we will definitely be back at Maurya for more great memories.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank CalgaryOne
Canada, Kentucky
“good food, poor service”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Came back for lunch after many years hiatus. The food is good, but the service is poor. Waiter forgot to bring us naan bread at the start of meal, never came by to refil water glasses, and took 20 minutes to bring tea after we finished the meal. Restaurant was less than half full, but there seems to be just one person running everything outside the kitchen at lunch.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Human44
“Bit of a Joke”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Firstly let me say i have eaten here a few times in the past and had good experiences so much so i've recommended to friends.
But last night was terrible. We waited quite some time to be greated and seated even though it was half empty.
When ordering drinks they had run out of my first choice beer, had one bottle left of my second choice and then ran out of my third choice.
I tried to order a lamb dish but they had run out of LAMB.
After a 50 minute wait the food arrived only just above room temperature but tasty enough.
A couple of groups got bored of waiting to be seated and
Think I will try somewhere else next time I fancy a curry.

1 Thank blondesallbabe
Wilmington de
“Good Indian cuisine in Calgary”
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

Excellent service, very good food in Kensington/Calgary
Atmosphere standard for an Indian restaurant, music fortunately muted
Best in the area