“It's "OK"”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Beltline
Cross street: 7 & 8 ST SW
Transit: The restaurant is very accessible with the C-Train , Bus service provided by the City of Calgary.
Description: The King & I was the first restaurant to introduce Thai food to Calgary. Since 1988 this upscale Thai dining room has been serving signature dishes designed to tempt you. And designed is the operative word at The King & I. Winner of numerous awards, The King & I offers beautiful, stylish series of elegant and contemporary dining rooms with superb ambiance. The setting, which is truly conducive to lingering over dinner, the service and unique, delectable dishes combine to create an evening that shouldn't be missed by anyone appreciative of fine cuisine.
Calgary, Canada
“It's "OK"”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Lured in by the ads outside... we ended up getting a couple of noodle dishes. They were OK, but a bit stodgy.

While it was definitely OK - no issues with service, cleanliness or anything - something about the place didn't speak to us. Haven't had the urge to go back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank WellTravelled222

Kelowna, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the price.”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had eaten years earlier here and remembered a wonderful dining experience. Unfortunately, I took my family here yesterday and it was memorable, but not in a positive way. The server, although friendly, seemed to be on an upselling mission, telling us we were not ordering enough food and was suggested the highest price dishes on the menu. The Tom Yam soup was too acidic, the Tom Kha soup was too sweet. I have a good idea of what these soups should taste like and was disappointed with their version. The summer rolls were the highlight. They were fresh and tastey. The Buddahs Delight and the Pad Thai were boring, and were very similar in taste and more salty than flavorful. I was disappointed because I was travelling through Calgary and was hoping to treat my family to a lovely dinner. It was much too expensive for what we got. The decor is lovely. The food needs some attention.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cabbydaffy
Edmonton, Canada
“Service is wonderful”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The décor of this restaurant is lovely. They offer to take your coat when you arrive which would be a great service when it's cold outside. We had booked for a party of about 10 or so and were seated in a semi private area. We had 2 servers during our meal and they provided good service to bring the food out and refills our drinks.

The first dish took a little while to come out after we ordered drinks but after dishes came out promptly. The food seemed decent but I'm not a big fan on Thai food as I find the sauce can be too rich for me. We pre-ordered for more people but all the plates were almost cleared so either the portions are small or we didn't order enough food. For the price we paid, I think there should have been more food but I don't know how it compares to other Thai restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Yul Brenner would approve”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I love this restaurant, the flavours, the decor, the exemplary service and the value. Thai food has some spectacularly spicy dishes and I love the lemon grass and the coconut that are incorporated into Thai food. The atmosphere is exotic and takes me back to scenes from the movie 'The King and I'. Service is very good without you feeling like the server or staff are intruding. The value comes from all this and the fact that the dishes are generous. We always have some leftover to take home to enjoy the next day for lunch.

Visited August 2013
Ontario
“Obsessed with this place!”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

What a taste of vegetarian heaven (for me)! Don't get me wrong, they do serve meets and fish in this restaurant but I stuck to the vegetarian options and tried a variety of dishes. I was so impressed by the flavors, presentation and environment of this restaurant. I would highly recommend any of the vegetarian options! I would go back in a heartbeat! Beautiful, romantic environment suited for any celebration or just for a night out! Don't hesitate as there is something for everyone here.

• Visited August 2013