“Very good pasta and best tiramissu in Calgary!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Buenos Aires
“Very good pasta and best tiramissu in Calgary!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Fetuccini Gigi are very good, canelloni also. If you like simple, the spagetti napoletana is excellent. The best tiramissu in Calgary!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

“Bolognese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you love Bolognese sauce then this is the best I've found in Calgary. The other menu items that we've tried are all good but for me I keep returning to the spaghetti Bolognese.

The house wines are a bit pricey but the food and service are very good.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Elaine H
“Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

For years we have gone past the Abruzzo and never stopped in until this past Novenber . We booked for an early dinner at 7. The atmosphere was very cozy and friendly and there was only one other table od four seated when we arrived . We were seated right beside them and , though it is not the fault of the restaurant , they were loud and obnoxious.
My husband ordered the shrimp in garlic butter and I ordered veal parmigiana. We tried to enjoy a glass of wine but the other table drowned out all hope of quiet conversation. When the meal arrived the shrimp were so overcooked that they were tough and flavourless. My veal was smothered in a tomato sauce that was just a puree with hardly any flavour and the vegetables were very tasteless as well. The pasta side dish was another version of the same tasteless tomato sauce with not even a sprinkle of chopped parsley to relieve the boredom. The tiramisu just continued the less than mediocrity of the meal. Honestly I've had better frozen from the supermarket. The only saving grace was the friendly service and the cozy room.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maureen M
Canada
“An Excellent Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Abruzzo Ristorante is located on the west end of downtown Calgary on the corner of 4th Avenue and 8th Street SW. The restaurant is located in an old house and seats about 40 people. The restaurant has been around since the late 1980s with consistent ownership and management during this time.
I go to this restaurant on a regular basis, it is without a doubt my favorite Italian restaurant in Calgary. The ambiance of the restaurant is very nice and authentic.
The pasta is made fresh each day and the quality is outstanding. They offer a wide variety of pastas and other Italian fare. I almost always order the carbonera, the best I have ever had. The prices are on the higher side for Italian food, but worth every penny.
The service is very good and they have gotten to know me over the years and I feel welcome each time I visit.
I highly recommend this restaurant for either business or personal dining.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank Rocks_to_travel
“Authentic Italian Food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

This little restaurant often gets missed in the tall buildings of downtown. It sits just on the outskirts (at 402 8th Street) and there is parking which is always a bonus. Nick, the chef/owner, is from A'bruzzo and makes the most delicious food ... his scampi is the most amazing I've ever had and definitely our favorite. It's worth the trip alone to have his scampi. We've celebrated the birth of our twin boys, anniversaries, and many birthdays at his ristorante. Highly recommended by our family!

• Visited September 2010