“A great discovery!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Woking, United Kingdom
“A great discovery!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I went there on Saturday evening with some friends of mine. We all had a from-the-sea dinner and it was great! The calamari to share were really good, and so the mussels. I had a great salmon fillet with a little bit overcooked rice but really tasty.
We had also a good white wine bottle.
The location is nice, cosy and informal and the service was excellent! Last but not least the prices are fair.

A better alternative to a lot of restaurants you may find in downtown,

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alberto_italy81

“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We spent a lovely Sunday evening at the Broken Plate in Kensington. The menu was extensive, the food was very good, and our waiter was terrific. As a celiac sufferer, I often find that there is very little on the menu that I can safely eat. But the Broken Plate's menu clearly marks every item that's gluten-free so no worries for me!

Our waiter was very attentive and went out of his way to give us a great dining experience. I recommend the restaurant and would definitely go back again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kiwihugger
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Can't go wrong!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I was pleasantly surprised that a 'chain' restaurant in Calgary was so good and had such a friendly and inclusive community vibe. I sat at the bar to watch the hockey game and as a single older woman I felt perfectly comfortable among families and young couples....it was busy but nothing was rushed or neglected. Both the food and service was exceptional and affordable.

I was lucky enough to have chosen a delicious Ionian mixed seafood pasta dish which included arctic char, which i don't get on the coast, and along with a glass of good red wine, and a few fresh oysters on the half shell, I couldn't have been more pleased. Next time I'll try the arctic char on it's own....hopefully it's still a plentiful resource and not farmed yet, as much of the trout seen on Calgary menus is. The staff was friendly, you can break a plate on special occasions, it's bright and has an outdoor patio. What more do you need!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank sparklemarilyn
Ottawa, Canada
“Great for People Watching”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Located on 10th ST. NW in the Kensington area of Calgary, this Greek restaurant is perfectly situated for people watching. The windows along the street open onto a patio on the sidewalk, so both inside and outside seats give a great view of the street life. Fast and friendly service and a wide range of affordable Mediterranean food, with an emphasis on lamb and kebabs. We went in for the $1 oyster and $4 beer specials and enjoyed both. My first experience with a Greek beer and it was pretty good. Wheelchair and baby stroller accessible. Apparently, people really do break plates during some dinner parties!

• Visited April 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Best Greek in Town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

Situated on a busy corner in Kensington in Calgary, you will find this friendly and attractive restaurant which I have decided after a recent lunch there, is one of my favorite eating spots in town. Even with all the trendy new cafes and bistros popping up almost weekly, it seems, The Broken Plate never disappoints. On a busy evening, it can be exploding with activity. Lots of chatter, plate throwing and until recently, I learned, and dancing. Our waitress mentioned there had not been a display of the great Greek tradition for some months but that it would be returning soon. Watching the young attractive servers dance at a ferocious pace throughout the not-so-big resto is always a treat! It was a late lunch we had this week -we started with some plump meatballs in a rustic sauce with a glass of decent red wine. For mains I enjoyed a salmon entree (salmon cooked just right right) served with a Mediterranean salsa, savory Greek pilaf, grilled veg skewer and a Greek Salad. It was delicious. My mate had salad with lamb confit, figs and croutons in a balsamic dressing. It was good, but was a little on the small side, we thought. The waitress was delightful - we always find the servers really friendly and the atmosphere on a lazy afternoon with the sun shining and some great Greek music to listen to was excellent. There are four Broken Plates in town, and meals had in two of the others some time ago were good too, but the original in Kensington always gets us coming back. Opa!

• Visited January 2013