“Extremely disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Calgary
“Extremely disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Poor service, shawarma lacking meat and accompaniment. Way over priced for what is offered.I used to eat at A&A when it was on 14th Street much much better way back then. Will not bother going back the pita basket downtown far better with nice accompaniments and for way less money.

Visited July 2014

Calgary
“There's shawarmas and then there's Jimmy's shawarmas.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

It's great to see a local business thrive over the years and best of all, retain quality and value of the food. The only thing I miss about going to Jimmy's is seeing Jimmy and hearing his crazy banter.
Jimmy's started out as a single location and now has branched out into 2. The original store has been fixed up a bit to allow for seating upstairs. The store started out as a little convenience store. Food is now the main ticket item; although a small selection of mediterranean staples and sauces as well as spices can be found on the shelves.
I don't think you can beat Jimmy's for value when it comes to shawarmas and donairs. It's chicken or ground beef/lamb compressed into a roast-like shape and slow cooked on a vertical electric broiler that rotates the meat as it cooks, sliced, and put on a pita with vegetables and sauce.
I usually go for the chicken shawarma as I prefer the taste of the chicken at this place. Today I couldn't make up my mind so I went with the combo. My photo shows what you get and that was half way through my meal and each mouthful was chock-full of meat and veggies. They make it as you like it with all the fixin's. One of the things I like is that when you ask for spicy they make it that way. Too often I ask for spicy, and get a whimpy row of banana peppers or a thin strip of hot sauce, but here they understand what spicy means and check with you to make sure that they did it right. A small is around $8.50 and is very filling. It's at least 5 napkins to get you through a shawarma. It's just a bit messy to eat but enjoy!
There is a display case with a small selection of salads such as greek and tabouleh, jamaican patties, meat pies, some cheese, samosas and baklavas and other delicious stuff. Service is quick and efficient. There is limited street parking. Most people come for take-out; if you wish you can sit outside or upstairs. It's a small place so seating is limited.

• Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped at Jimmy's for lunch.The place isn't much to look at, just a deli with some tables and chairs outside, but the food was spectacular. My husband and I ordered a donair (beef) gyro and a shawarma (chicken) gyro; they were huge (a pound of meat on each) and we could have easily split one. I had never tried either shawarma or donair; the staff gave us samples of everything and educated us so we could choose what to order. The sauces were fabulous, too, especially the garlic one which I would have happily eaten with a spoon! We also ordered some tasty pastries and when we couldn't make up our minds, the cashier threw in an extra one for free. What a pity we didn't find this place until the last day of our vacation!

2 Thank Carole B
Calgary, Canada
“Real Food, Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The donairs here are unbeatable. The quantity of food you get is insane, a large donair can feed two people. When you walk in, it definitely feels family owned and operated, everyone is incredibly friendly! Definitely come here if you're looking for delicious shawarmas or donairs that you'll remember

• Visited February 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Memorable food and cashier ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Went here for the first time with friends, and the long wait was not a problem at all. The authentic smell of the huge assortment of foods made up for the wait. The funny cashier was the cherry on top, very enthusiastic!