“Overpriced and underwhelming”

Price range: US$16 - US$35
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southeast Calgary
Description: Nspired by Wellington's Fine Dining of Calgary, the CattleBaron Steakhouse and Bar was created and designed as a casual alternative for the upscale steak enthusiast. Soon recognized as Calgary's premiere casual steakhouse, the CattleBaron offers our guests the finest quality Alberta beef, carefully selected wines, and world famous western hospitality and service. Using the freshest ingredients and homemade recipes passed on for all to enjoy. From business clientele to families alike, our guests can enjoy lunch or dinner in a comfortable atmosphere that is both affordable and relaxed.
Calgary, Canada
“Overpriced and underwhelming”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The best thing about this restaurant is the service, our party had a variety from the fare offered, from appetizers, salad and main courses. For the price paid, in Calgary there are better, Wellington's, Caesars to name two I know of that would be in the same price range and will go there before I return to the Cattle Baron. Limited wine selection and limited menu.

• Visited December 2013

Red Deer
“Good Food”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Had never heard of the Cattle Baron but was recommended by friends so we thought we would try it. All 4 of us had steaks, Some filets, some sirloins. All of the steaks were done to perfection, although mine lacked the taste I'm accustomed to for a filet. Don't like the fact that they will not take reservations for less than 6 people, but wait was not very long to get in(5:30) I did see that by the time we left, people were waiting for some time. The dessert (Mud Pie) was prenominal.

• Visited October 2013
Calgary
“Great Atmosphere-Great Food”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My Wife and I decided to go for a late dinner at Cattle Baron-we were surprised at how busy it was at 9:00 pm and the service was good as well. We sat in the lounge and enjoyed the ambience...The food was very good -steak very tender and cooked just right...
I had never been here before but we plan on going again for sure...
It was a very nice dining experience!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Geoff C
Calgary,Alberta
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The only thing that catch my eye was the price for the dishes, we had the lamb shank and wife had the steak&lobster, my lamb was ok but nothing special, my wife lobster was ok but the steak was all veins, and very chewy, a martini cost $10, LOL while a bottle of beer was $8, the atmosphere was lame, not many ppl there, music way too loud, we always wanted to try the place, I guess once is good enough. We did not bring my daughter but looks like it is a family friendly restaurant. I think if I was to pick again, a very similar restaurant but way better food service and atmosphere is Smugglers on McLeod.

• Visited September 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Beef tender, but tasteless”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The prime rib looked great and was very generous in its proportions. It was also cooked just as I wanted, rare, and extremely tender. However, it was rather tasteless, perhaps from not being correctly aged, although the thick and sticky "gravy" which covered the meat didn't help. Vegetables were adequately, rather than well, cooked. The service was pleasant, but the meat's the thing in restaurants like this - and this was a pretty average meal.

• Visited September 2013