“Ideal Saturday Brunch”
Review of BIG Fish

BIG Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
BIG Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 3,876 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Northeast Calgary
Cross street: 11th Avenue
Reviewed 1 September 2018

We met two friends (and their 3-month old baby) for brunch mid-morning on a Saturday. Although we had all eaten at the restaurant next door, we had no idea Big Fish served brunch until late the day before when searching for a place to eat the next morning.

I was really happy with the food. First, I love breakfast. And I love fish. And I felt like I could have selected anything on the menu and been more than satisfied. Since I was craving some sugar, I ordered the maple fried oatmeal. I also couldn't resist one of their specials--a chocolate cinnamon scone. Both the oatmeal and the scone were enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the lemon curd with the oatmeal. It was the perfect balance of lip-smacking and sweet!

The restaurant was busy, but quiet, so we could have a lovely conversation, and at no point did we feel rushed or awkward about spending time post-eating chatting rather than leaving.

One minor improvement opportunity would be in the service. Our server was excellent, providing opinions on the best dishes, extra sauce, and additional hot water for my tea when asked. However, I could have easily had three more pots of tea (the pots are very small), but our server wasn't near us enough for me to ask for more, and more, and more hot water. Like I said, very minor improvement, but would have made me smidge happier overall.

Our table also got two specials (some sort egg benedict with chicken and sauce) and an omelette, plus coffees and teas and an Italian soda.

Overall, all of the food received rave reviews, and we made a plan to return for another brunch date!

Reviewed 23 August 2018

We stop by on the way to the airport for quick lunch. Soft shell crab and tuna salad was our choice. All tasty and and prepared fast.

Reviewed 22 August 2018

So my friends, their twin boys who are 4, my 13 went for dinner. We didn't get there until 9 pm, they were closed already. They welcomed us in, no sneering faces or dirty looks. It took quite a while for us to decide and then we ordered our 6 meals as well,as several appetizers, we sat till 11:30 and our waiter stood and entertained us, played a game of guess his age and laughed when the twins messed up his,name and called him "Smike" instead of Mike!

Th food was great but the service was even better!

Reviewed 19 August 2018

We were there for brunch and I found my egg benedict variation a little sad- low on taste. I'd give it another try. My friends love the pork belly omelet - meat's not my favorite.I didn't try it but saw that their fish options are mostly (exclusively?) fresh water or farmed, neither of which would appeal to me...even the fish n chips

Reviewed 17 August 2018

We went for the Walleye, a favorite, and really enjoyed having it roasted. Nice portions, good sides, good bartender, and a good waiter made for a nice evening.

Been to BIG Fish? Share your experiences!