“good experience”

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hillurst
Reviewed 17 April 2014

not something we would do often, but was worth it when we did go. The food was very good, the service matched. And it was fun to eat with our fingers!! hehehe

There are newer reviews for Sultan's Tent

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I've been to this restaurant twice. The first time with my wife and the food was just okay. Had to ask three times for real mint tea. Not just clear hot water.
The second time I invited a couple friends and the service was a disaster. The owners were the couple old Canadian. Probably been to morocco a couple times and they insisted on teaching me how to eat Moroccan food. They had the audacity to serve us steamed veggies that they called tagines and again clear hot water they they called mint tea.
I couldn't argue with them in the presence of my guests. I just told them that I am Moroccan. And there they told me that I've been eating the wrong food in morocco.
Overall. The food is not true Moroccan. Service is terrible. And they wrecked our evening with the friends.
Don't recommend it. Try cooking at home and whatever the outcome is it would be better than going to the sultan's dump

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have been going to the Sultan's tent for over 20 years. Other than a longish interlude between locations, it has been the go-to place in Calgary for a tasty, approachable exotic meal. Frankly, I could eat here every week!

We had not been for awhile, but decided to bring our open-minded 12 year old to sample something completely different. If only I could translate the wonder and excitement as he went through one course after another over the 2 hour span of our meal.

The interior is brilliant: tent-like booths give lots of privacy for groups, families or couples out for a romantic evening.

The service was impeccable. The owner served us for the most part, patiently explaining the dishes and the customs. She has obviously spent a lot of time in Morocco.

But it all comes down to the food, doesn't it? Nothing disappointed. We know couscous, but even better we know "tajines" - saucy stews filled with spices and goodness. The lemon chicken was better than the Cornish hen, but both were great. The starters were all great, and the mint tea finale was a pleasant way to end things before heading out into -30...

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Pros: full menu available for vegetarians with appropriate separations from meat menu, an authentic experience, great, knowledgeable service, delicious food

Cons: there is a time commitment, cost.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

It was my second time this weekend and I decided I got to write here and let ppl know how fantastic this place Is !!
The whole tent gives a very special feeling , the servers are very helpful and friendly .
And the best part?
The food was amazing !!! Wow. I'm half Moroccan and I did not expect such aouthentecy and delicious food ! It was sooo goooodddd!