“Let's not call it Mexican food”
Review of Julio's Barrio

Julio's Barrio
Ranked #2,195 of 3,645 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed 2 October 2013

if you are looking for a hit of deep fried bar food then this is the place. if you are looking for Mexican food then stay away. everything that we had was good enough but not good. the sauce and cheese were scarce on most of the items - the flautas were too thick - the deep fried shrimp were tasty but heavily coated. on the good side i had the deep fired ice cream - i hadn't had it since Chi-Chi's closed down - it was good to try it again but i'm good for the next few years. Good selection of Mexican beers.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Looks good on the outside but was a real disappointment. The burrito was large but filled mostly with red beans and chickpeas! Without a great deal of flavor. The quesadilla was filled with what amounted to stewed and shredded chicken then covered with a mountain of lettuce!

Seems they are large on presentation but not so much on flavor. Will not make a repeat visit here.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We ordered drinks and their Nacho platter from a very pleasant young lady. If it weren't for her, we would have walked out before finishing our orders.

The Nachos arrived, and we needed a bicycle to find the cheese, and even then, the cheese was very scarce. We drew this to our server's attention, and she whisked the plate away, and five minutes later arrived with another plate. We worked our way through a layer or two of nachos, and found the much desired cheese. Old Julio charges enough for these nachos, that he could have put on a few more grams of cheese. I think Original Joe's gives much better value with their nachos, and no doubt, everything else too!

Our server offered us free desert. Their deep fried ice cream was superb.

But, we'll never go there again, cause there are so many, much better restaurants to choose from in Calgary.

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I had the best time and the best sangria. I don't really enjoy Mexican food so I can't Judge that aspect of it, but my boyfriend really liked it. I would go again without a doubt.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Went here for a farewell lunch with colleagues. I ordered a menu called Julio's Platter and a drink called Bulldog. The Julio's Platter was exactly like described in their website: quesadilla and two enchiladas served with Mexican rice, beans, and corn salad. They have chicken, beef, and vegetarian option for this menu. I ordered the beef option. The portion is a big meal for a normal South East Asian person like me. Be a bit cautious when ordering and ask how big is the portion for the menu you want, because the table beside me ordered three kinds of meal thinking that it would come just like our table, but it turned out that they ordered so many they couldn't finish the food.

But personally, the champion was the Bulldog! That was my first time drinking it and I am so thankful to my friend that he ordered that first. He enticed my curiosity and I ended up ordering the same, and it was so blissful. I already fallen for the drink at my first sip. The tequila-beer combination is just perfect! If you haven't tried this drink before, I don't think you'll regret trying it.

The place itself has a nice ambiance. The service during our time was nice and left me with no complaint. My friend told me they have patio upstairs and it's a nice place to be in the summer, but I haven't tried it. Overall, this place is a good choice if you want Mexican food in Calgary and even a better choice to hang out, drinking with your friends.