“Not the Spa it Used to Be”
Review of Newbury Spa

Newbury Spa
Ranked #44 of 73 Spas & Wellness in Calgary
More attraction details
Owner description: Newbury Spa is a premium downtown Calgary Day Spa. Newbury Spa performs a full array of premium spa services: Dermalogica Custom Facials, Registered Massage Therapy; Both Therapeutic and Relaxation massage, Pedicures, Manicures, Detoxifying Body wraps, Hair Removal (waxing)The team of talented Registered Massage Therapists (RMT's) and Certified Aestheticians offer wonderful massage treatments and luxurious skin care in a tranquil environment, stimulating your senses and soothing your soul. The unique Newbury Spa approach, combined with skill and dedication to the craft, provides a truly one-of-a-kind experience, delivered by a dedicated team of professionals, making Newbury Spa a Calgary jewel.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not the Spa it Used to Be”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I have been going to Newbury Spa for 5 years now but I was most disappointed at my spa experience today. They used to be the best when Derek was managing as he was meticulous about all of the small touches. I hadn't been there for a year now but Newbury has gone downhill in a major way; from the facility right down to the service. I had to interrupt the receptionists' Facebook conversation when I arrived, the steam room was out of order (with the control panel hanging out of the wall by two wires), the light in the shower stall was taped to the ceiling, no pitchers of cucumber water anymore- only tap water, and the floors were filthy. They should really take 'spa' out of their name as they don't fit the bill anymore. And that bill is a pricey one! No warm fuzzies for this place and I am going to have to move on.

6 Thank AmandaJaney

46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Decent”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Massage was pretty good. Change rooms are clean but small. We did not have access to a steam room as it is located off a room for "couple massages" and was being used. No hot tub either. It is pretty expensive for what you get. I did not have a bad experience but I am not inclined to go back either.

Visited October 2013
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Excellent service, as usual!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Went for a manicure and pedicure. My mom and I go each year for our birthdays. I have never been disappointed once in the last 4 years. Very friendly staff, clean facilities, relaxing atmosphere, refreshments are always in the waiting lounge where you go before your appointment. The technicians do a fabulous job. I love going here and cannot wait until my next chance!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Alberta83
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“LOVE!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I love Newbury Spa – and I am a loyal client. I live in Vancouver and I travel often to Calgary for work and always drop in to Newbury to either enjoy a massage or pedicure – depending on the time of year. I’m in Calgary 4-5 times / year and the Manager says I spa there more than some of the locals. It’s just absolutely the best place in Calgary and I will continue to visit them in future years.
They have a non-pretentious feel in the spa. The Staff are always gracious and polite. The girls are so sweet!
The spa is nicely and simply decorated – calm color scheme – very warm, inviting, and relaxing.
The Management has always gone above and beyond with treating me with great service – they are all genuine and sincere. They have made me feel like I am a part of their community.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bbovey
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Middle of the Road (and i'm a Dude BTW)”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My wife booked us a couples massage and pedicure for my Birthday. First impressions...not bad, but the huge pile of shoes under the main desk in the racks was a bit off-putting. After being shown the change rooms (the mens was a bit underwhelming for a spa) we were lead to the lounge. This place needs some work..Dirty furniture, walls with dirt and marks all over them. Water was lukewarm and there were at least some cookies there. Hung out for a bit in my robe which was designed for a smaller man (i'm 6'4 - 240)

Met the RMT's - Very nice girls, massage was fantastic. Zero complaints! - Steam room was nice but the faucet was broken beyond belief

Back to the dirty lounge before the pedicures - Met the esthetician...great girls again!! - She got the ole' belt sander out for my heels and really did a great job hacking down my man nails. BONUS POINTS - My wife commented that "all she needed was a drink to make this perfect" - One of the girls said "would you like one?" and she came back with to glasses of sparkling white wine. Very nice! - Wife pedicure looked great and was much nicer looking than those chemical infested nail brothels around the city she usually goes to.

All done...felt great. Mens change room had some nice skin/shave supplies (my wife said the women's was picked through) shower was budget for a spa.

All said and done....nice afternoon. The staff were fantastic...spa, needs reno (was probably nice when it opened) the services were great (once again...I am a dude)

Visited March 2013
Angela K, Spa Director & Owner at Newbury Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hello Scott,
Thank you for visiting Newbury Spa in March for your birthday – we enjoyed having you in the Spa. Our Spa Therapists – both Massage Therapists and Aestheticians spoke highly of you and your wife and had a great time pampering you both.

Thank you for your compliments about our Staff – they appreciated hearing the positive feedback. We have a great community of people working at Newbury Spa to ensure that you receive the friendliest service and the premium spa treatments.
I’m glad you enjoyed the amenities such as the complimentary shave supplies we offer in the men’s room. I’m in the locker rooms frequently these days ensuring we have all the right amenities for our clients.

We look forward to celebrating 8 years of business this November 2013. And in the past 7 years, we have shown some wear and tear in our spa – so I appreciate you highlighting them as well. Since reading your review, we have updated and changed some of the spa décor along with a few minor renovations. New seats have been added to the Lounge for your comfort. And the Spa is as clean as a whistle!

I have a special robe waiting for you Scott. My husband is a similar size so I’ll store yours with his until next time.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you in Newbury Spa again.
Kindest Regards,