“Time for a change”
Review of Alloy

Alloy
Reserve with OpenTable
Alloy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 3,757 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Cross street: 42 Ave. and Macleod Trail
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Unfortunately,the manager opted to have the outdoor patio power washed at noon on the Friday I chose to take my husband to lunch. We listened to the electric motor grind away all during our lunch. The manager made no apologies as he had an event coming up on the patio. Sad that Calgarians put up with such total disregard for customer respect and satisfaction. The food was fine...the waitress had to be asked to remove extra place settings. Not a very classy place despite the pretty decor. Twenty two dollar lunch entrees should come with much better service. This place has no pride or soul. Maybe new management would have a better vision.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

It's not in a downtown location. It's in the middle of an industrial-ish neighbourhood. If you can get past that, there's much here to be desired.

First - the interior is beautiful. Not quiet, and if your idea of luxury is overstuffed, this isn't the place for you, but it is beautiful. Without question, the interior is a contemporary take on luxury with a very stylish feel that belies its location.

Second -- the service is fabulous. Service in many restaurants has gone either to them being you new best friend (the dreaded upper end chains) or being stand-offish and pretentious. This is neither. Service is knowledgable, frank, without airs, and still leaves you with the impression that your server really would prefer to have a little sit down with you and share in your food.

Third -- the food is great. Imaginative, delicious (my partner found it a bit salty, but she's a low salt type), imaginative (great combination of textures and flavours to compliment each other) and reasonably filling in this age of tasting menus that offer food that is but a morsel.

The damage was reasonable for what we ate. I had the duck confit ravioli -- fabulous, followed by a delicious lobster tempura -- the sauce was just a little overbearing, and we're talking measures of degrees, and I finished off with one of the most amazing lamb chops cooked sous-vide, leaving the perfect texture, and they were good enough to leave just enough fat. Hers was a tuna tartare, followed by the seafood of the day, and perfectly cooked halibut.

Would I got back?

Darn right I would.

2  Thank StephenM465
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

In an any site in a district without soul, placed as on an area d parking lot appears this restaurant, entrance we are surprised part an unpleasant smell of infant's poo!!! Undefinable otherwise, it has of to have in the entrance a baby there who made in his diapers? No in all the restaurant this smell continues us.... Perfumed candles exist nevertheless with perfumes discreet as the sugar, the wood, without entrance to flowers but well....
Then comes the noise stunning not to hear each other spoken when we come to 4, I know that to North American we speak loudly but here we hear each other any more, the fault to the decorator, the stone ground, the brick-built wall nothing to absorb the sound, the panels moved, hangings, carpet...
The meal comes, no helpful personal wait nothing more, we are far from Vancouver but the egg in 62 degrees of it Devil the cold served egg salad brings nothing to the so badly seasoned dish, on a tasteless Roman salad, no interesting secret ice-cold girl, for the beet salad, the amazing warm) served beets . The lobster tempura is what we order to every Japanese, commonplace nothing creative, commonplace.

Let us speak meats the pork and the print chips, perfectly cooked but without the crispi aspect for which we can wait for lamb chops, no sauce perfumed as the menu indicates it to the rosemary nor of melted butter, in fact we are disappointed by the absence of concordance between the very tempting menu and the dish suite arrives, insipid, tasteless or is the thyme, the pepper, the oregano possibly to raisethese meats? The toi much cooked mushrooms smell nothing more..
It's a pity but I had to write this for the Chef who makes beautiful menus on the paper but who do not apply them in cooking(in the kitchen), goes season your dishes, makes the flavourful in mouth, the cooking it is not only the decoration of a plate which we photograph, it is also the tasteful pleasure in mouth...
This evening the whole was insipid, almost insipid in an atmosphere hyper noisy.... Damage

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Inventive and delicate cuisine, delicious. but noisy, very noisy. not a place for a romantic diner at all.

1  Thank Gaelle L
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I dined here with 4 friends on a Tuesday evening. It is not the kind of place you would just stop in at as it does not look like much from the outside. It is a standalone building with an ample parking lot. The inside was toasty warm and very hip. The service was excellent and food very fresh and creative. I had a glass of Canadian red wine (I wanted Canadian wine since I was in Canada - and was visiting from California) that was a generous size, split a beet salad with my sister, and had a very tasty scallop for dinner. I could not finish my dish - very generous size and rich. If visiting Calgary again I would absolutely come here for a special meal.