“Deliciously satisfying”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Edmonton, Canada
“Deliciously satisfying”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Wanting to try this restaurant for some time, I treated my sister and brother-in-law last night. Not being a regular of Japanese I arrived a bit earlier with my detailed notes and questions. The first girl that seated me was extremely friendly and patient and answered all enquiries. We started with a small cup of warmed saki, which is actually smoother in the winter. We tasted salmon, surf clam eel and shiitake nigiri-sushi, all were excellent. A seared salmon sushi, recommended by our server and ordered from a separate special sheet, was sublime, melt in your mouth delicious. The four large sankai-maki had fish roe on the outside with an intricate combination of tuna, salmon, egg, cucumber, shiitake, goud and oshinka on the inside. Along with the two dipping sauces, the white pickled ginger and wasabi sauce, these were fresh and flavourful. The takoyakki was unique, fried octopus in batter that was fairly bland. The light and flaky shrimp tempura was outstanding. Our server, a young girl was so sweet and kind, it made our dining experience truly enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
British Columbia, Canada
“Good service, but average food”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Unlike several of the other reviews, we went to Sushi Wasabi and were seated right away and had fairly attentive service. We were there on a Thursday around 6 PM. The hot towels are a nice touch.

We had California, BC, smoked salmon & asparagus, spicy tuna and yam rolls. The yam roll was 4 pieces and it cost $7. It was so huge that it was nearly impossible to eat. One piece was literally the entire size of my palm and easily 2 inches thick. I tried to pick it up and eat it like a sandwich and failed dismally. Can anyone really eat sushi that's this big? It just fell apart everywhere and seemed like a waste. I wouldn't order this particular roll again. And granted SPICY tuna has the word spicy in the title, but it was actually too spicy for me (and I can generally handle spice).

Both my fiance and I Found the sushi to be quite salty, and I actually found it all to be a bit spicy (not just the spicy tuna roll). So I guess in summary it wasn't the best sushi I've ever had, but it also wasn't the worst.

• Visited July 2013
“Favourite sushi place in Edmonton”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I first discovered Sushi Wasabi with my boyfriend (now husband) in 2005. The price isn't cheap, so we ration our visits, but have gone frequently enough that most of the staff recognize us. On a couple occasions, after almost a year of not stopping in (and eating at more affordable sushi joints) we return and I'm always amazed at how much better the sushi is here. The quality, the flavour, the sizes, the "arigato" as you leave... I always have to ask myself why I bother going anywhere else.

If you are new to sushi, or haven't developed a palette for it yet (can't tell the difference between Tokyo Express and Mikado), save your money and stay away, this experience will probably be wasted on you (note: I said probably!).

The service can sometimes be a little slow, don't be afraid to wave a server down. The food is worth the wait!

When you first walk in the door there is a "specials" board - take a look at it, those items aren't on the menu. Sometimes you can try some really unique dishes (I love it when he has geoduck in!).

Reservations are highly recommended. You can normally get in with a couple hours notice. The restaurant is very popular and fills up quickly, so, unlike many Edmonton restaurants that say "reservations recommended", they are almost a requirement here, unless you show up at 5pm (they do hold a few tables for walk-ins)! If you call and are told there isn't any room, ask if you can eat at the bar. Take-out is also an option.

• Visited July 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Never even made it to the sushi...”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The following is my post from UrbanSpoon. I wanted to place it on multiple forums so that people can see my review...

I am from Ottawa, but visit Edmonton on a regular basis. Typically to have sushi, I will go to the Tokyo Noodle Shop (I highly recommend! Nice ambiance, quick service, delicious food, moderately priced) or Kyoto (also recommend, however I do prefer the atmosphere of TNS). However, on this trip my boyfriend and I wanted to visit Sushi Wasabi since it was closer to his place and there were so many positive reviews online. Our first two attempts were thwarted by reduced hours and then too busy to accommodate us. Finally, we made a reservation for a weekday evening. We were seated at a two person table within half an arms reach of another couple. I was not impressed by the atmosphere or the proximity to other people (very cramped). The waitress (also the hostess) brought us water right away and hot towels. I thought 'Perhaps this won't be so bad...'. And then that was the last we saw of her. THIRTY minutes pass and she had yet to even acknowledge our existence. However, a group of six people (who arrived 10 minutes after us) seemed to have no problem being served, who within that twenty minutes had received a full order of drinks and their first round of food. When my boyfriend and I decided to leave, the waitress seemed surprised. Really? I told her that the wait was unacceptable and we left. I unfortunately cannot provide a review on the quality of sushi, however I can on the service - or lack there of.

Sushi Wasabi, a disregard for your customers is completely unacceptable and I (and my boyfriend) do not and will not recommend your establishment on service alone.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Otown_girl84
“It's ok”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Walked in and Ordered takeout..stood by the door for 10-15min..while people walked in and out.. No one even asked if I would like to sit and wait at the sushi bar instead..but that's my personal experience.. They had huge pieces of fish on the sushi! I got a tempura inside out roll that was tasty..this place is worth trying out then you can decide for yourself if you would come back again!