“Terrible and rude”
Review of Sands Inn & Suites

Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #82 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were met with rudeness at the front desk, followed by ridicule because my last name is hyphenated and then they demanded 300.00 for our room stay because I wanted to pay with cash not a credit card. The only reason we stayed is because we didn't have time to look elsewhere. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank BenaGD
Christee R, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Most Hotels requires a valid credit card to register. Your cash deposit was refunded upon your check out immediately the next day. All customers generally apppreciate that this exception is made when not able to have a credit card of their own.
I apologize for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

In a hotel I expect a clean room and a good sleep. We are waiting for possession date on our home and required alternative accommodation for a month. We tried two other hotels in the area that were simply unliveable. Other than being clean, real comfortable sleeps and good food here; we found the staff to be respectable, responsive and willing to cater to any need. The manager is approachable, always smiling and loves her guests. Sure the outside is under construction but there is no noise in the hotel. Last night we splurged and listened to free live music in the lounge and thoroughly enjoyed supper. What a treat. If you smoke they have a room for that, if you have a pet they will accommodate you, if you have special needs they are there. I like clean air and our room is wonderful. It is close to downtown, Rexall Place Coliseum at a portion of the actual value. Don't pay any attention to the redneck complaints I've read they don't add up. This is a Gem we are happy to live in for a day a week or a month. Keep my reservation we will be back.

Room Tip: As there is no pool you probably save a few dollars as most people don't use them anymore. A lou...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Really-retired
Christee R, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

We are working hard so that all of our customers are as accommodated and satisfied as you were in our Hotel. Thank you for your comments!
You are correct! We are a GEM starting to shine and pleased with our changes!
We are PET FRIENDLY - We of offer SMOKING & NON SMOKING - 24 Hour FRONT DESK - Full Licensed Restaurant & A NEWLY RENOVATED LOUNGE!
Fridays are KARAOKE – Saturdays are LIVE ENTERTAINMENT – Sundays JAM SESSION

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This is nowhere near a three star hotel. It only gets this rating due to the rundown onsite amenities. It's a scabby, scary hotel. I would not feel comfortable having my family stay here. The rooms are tiny and oldddd, in the states this would be a 2 star at best, but hey, welcome to Alberta where we can charge 3 star prices for two star accommodations.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Baylisclan
Christee S, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for comments. We are working diligently on updating our Hotel as we speak!
The Outside is completed and the Lounge is in stage 1.
I apologize that our Hotel was not to your standards

Christee - General Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Please do not give this unfriendly, dirty, smelly, gross hotel one dollar of your money !! It was the most regrettable 3 nights of all my hotel experience's.
Maybe they should update their website to let people see what it really looks like on the outside & inside! I was afraid to go on the building! It looks like its been thru a war!!!
The inside is no better! Nothing works, ice machine, toilets plugged. No maid service, no clean towels replaced, In room coffee for one morning, they will not replace, for the next 2 days we had to pay. Big crack going down the window taped with duck tape! All that for $110 per night !!! We booked because it was close to a convention at Expo Center. 11 women 3 rooms! What a nightmare !!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank laurieden
Christee R, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Sands is going under renovations to update our Hotel on the outside, so I do apologize for the disarray until completed as for the window in this room, it has been replaced. We now offer KEURIG coffee pots in each room, and when the need for 4 per room is maximized, we offer them complimentary at the front desk. Ice machine was repaired the very next day, and when a guest places a DND on their door housekeeping will not enter the room. There will be times that maintenance is required at any Hotel and we try our best to correct immediately!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Management will not make your stay any better they are there to take your money. You will not get rest. The hotel was under construction which we found out when driving into parking lot. Workers banged all day long. Condescending management didn't move us. Left us on the top floor, none smoking that just reeked of tobacco and pot in the hallway. That night after the Rexall Centre event the smoke got worse in the hallway. There was irate woman in the hall from 1:00 am till 5:30 screaming and banging on doors. Even after complaining again about the noise nothing was done. Great spot if you want to get high, puke and party like you don't care! $40 bucks more could of stayed at the casino, way better food at the casino too.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Bill G

Sands is going under renovations to update our Hotel on the outside, so I do apologize for the disarray until completed. The contractor’s hours are within a respectable time frame and I apologize that these hours did not work for your schedule. Unfortunately the night you stayed we were full house and we could not offer you a different room. I know we did offer to find you another Hotel to try to make your stay in Edmonton more comfortable, however you declined. I am sorry that other guests take it upon themselves to smoke in rooms that are delegated NON smoking and we are working hard to make sure all guests understand the smoking restriction in our Hotel. We appreciate all comments so we can continue to go forward with the necessary changes to please our customers.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I work in the industry so I may be harder on the sands then most. But for $100 a night there are a few things I expect. The bed had lumps so big in them at one point during the night I thought it was a pillow. All comforters, pillows and mattress need to be thrown out and replaced. The room had quite a draft and the racket coming from the hall was ridiculous. They advertise here newly renovated rooms, if that means in the last 20 years they are correct. The restaurant is a cafeteria type with ok to eatable food (nothing to write home about) with 7 ppl in the restaurant it took me 10 to get a menu but the food was quick. The shining star was a waitress named Emma. But that is as far as I can go Considering the two men at the front desk basically grunted at me. If they worked for me they would be gone. I will never stay here again and have made a oath to myself not to go to the beach for the summer because I do not want to remember the sands at all.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Tnargkcirrab

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not satisfactory. We have implemented a brand New Restaurant & Lounge menu that our customers are excited about and the reviews are great! We are very proud of the comments we receive regarding our beds and I am sorry that this room has been overlooked. We are pleased that Emma satisfied all your needs in our Restaurant! We appreciate all comments so we can continue to go forward with the necessary changes to please our customers.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were attending FarmFair at Northlands so it was extremely close which was nice since we had a 3 month old baby. It was also easy to get to from the major highway. Was an old hotel that was fixed up but there's nothing wrong with that. Was nice to have a restaurant right in the hotel and the food was good. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. Was perfect for what we needed it for and will be booking again for next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mrsamymiller
AmritGrewal, Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your comments!
Being as close to Rexall & Northlands as we are, we do have a lot of guest’s book when an event is being held there.
If you have not reserved for Farm Fair as of yet, PLEASE do, as we are almost full for these dates!
Christee - General Manager