“luxury in a great location”

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
scotland
“luxury in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

This old stone building is right on the edge of downtown Edmonton looking out over the valley. The walls are lined with great photos of the hotels past and they in themselves can provide a good few hours entertainment. The hotel is walkable from most of downtown Edmonton, but there are taxis right outside, buses stop across the street and the light railway and underground shopping mall with food outlets is about 30 metre away so you can get to anywhere in Edmonton very easily even without a car. Check in was seamless - the room was spotless, quiet, had everything I needed. Wifi is only free if you join the privilege club of the chain otherwise it costs about $13 for 24 hours, but it is fast. Local knowledge can be had from the wonderful doormen. I didn't use the restaurant on this occasion, but the in room dining was good, hot, beautifully presented and a reasonable price. I would certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the valley
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank seajay1111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
Moose Jaw, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed here for one night last week as a coworker had booked in and suggested I stay as well. I have stayed at many Fairmont hotels and some like say the Frontenac in Quebec City are amazing. This one not so special for me. Maybe if I had more time I would of enjoyed it more. The room was fine and clean but certainly not special at all and quite small. Service at front desk was good as well.

I always get ticked off how this type of property nickel and dimes you to death. $15-20 I think for wifi, $32 to park my car. With prices like that I better have a nice room if you want me to not feel ripped off. That didn't happen. I doubt I will be back. I try and rate hotels within their "class". So if I were to rate the Frontenac a five, this is a three at best.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Saskwatches
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

It was disappointing to see the overall rating for our hotel. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi buy joining our Fairmont President’s Club. With regards to parking, I will ensure we review our pricing with our competitive set to ensure we offer the best rates available. It was very pleasing to read that you felt the service as good as we are known for and pride ourselves on this area with our attention to detail.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future so we can restore your faith in us.

Mont-Tremblant
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I was amazed at how service was good, with everyone, from the housekeeper to the belldesk to the 4 Diamond restaurant servers.

2nd time there in 2 years, I'd say rooms would need renos...especially bathroom...but they did focus on the important stuff, and the beds are really comfy, they seemed new.

The public areas have this château look we kind of like, and need to keep, but the Harvest room could benefit from a major makeover, really...

The breakfast buffet could get more choices...

Service makes this hotel the best Edmonton has to offer for a lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the river, otherwise, it can get pretty noisy even on the 4th floor faci...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with our friends. We love everything. The food, the service, the location and the atmosphere. The only thing that disappointed me was I can not go out in the Balcony. there was a note that says falling snow..But overall, it was a great stay. Would recommend to everyone and I will come back here for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Fairmont is quickly becoming one of my favorite chains as I am in Canada more often on business. Was at Fairmont Calgary two days and then on to Edmonton and the Macdonald. Great check in and I had three rooms booked. Large and comfortable and the bar is cozy. Also had breakfast and it was great and our server wonderful. If you are a bargain hotel person this is not your place, but if you are a business traveler and appreciate amenities, this place is for you. By the way, the Fairmont has great bath products through a boutique company in New York and they are worthy of taking home with you, which I rarely do.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wendy B
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 5 April 2013

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Le Labo toiletries.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but did enjoy a wonderful Easter Brunch there. We were in the Empire Ballroom and it was just lovely. Unlike other set ups you could easily walk around the tables with your food without having to move chairs. There was plenty of space. It was not crowded at all. Little to no lines for the food.

All of the food that my family and I tried was truley delicious. I had no complaints. There was something for everyone. The children could even make their own toast! The servers were on hand with champagne, orange juice, apple juice, coffee and tea.

The Easter Bunny came for a visit. He / she was amazing, really taking the time to visit at each table.

There was cookie decorating and an Easter Egg Hunt on the 2nd floor. My boys, although I thought were a bit old, really had fun looking for eggs. The Easter Bunny made another appearance there helping the little ones.

Overall, what a great way to spend Easter with family!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Famgal00
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Fairmont Hotels have the priviledge of having some of the most iconic looking hotels and locations. I stayed at this Fairmont for the first time on business. I was pleased to have a spacious room which as others note is not necessarily the norm with Faimont given the age and design of their properties. The room rate was comparable with other major hotels in the immediate downtown area.

The in-room dining prices were simply outrageous. I don't understand why hotels price themselves out of the meal and drink market causing valuable guest dollars to walk across the street to an outside restaurant / bar. Charge a premium but let's be reasonable. The economy may be better in Alberta but the food and bev pricing needs a reality check in general at this location.

My other comment would be to update some of the furnishings, carpets and bathrooms in the rooms. I felt like I was at my Grandmother's house. This is part of the character of Fairmont but I would prefer a bit of an upgrade to the rooms.

Service was excellent as always.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DMW66
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

Our grand lady is a heritage building, which speaks to the character you mentioned in your feedback. We continue to work on the ongoing process of updating and enhancing our product continues. With regards to our In Room Dining pricing, I will ensure we complete a comparison to ensure we are within the currnet market pricing.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.