“Dinner in the Harvest Room” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Dinner in the Harvest Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had a wonderful evening with great food and phenomenal service. The staff were attentive and entertaining, but in a graceful way. They fawned over my mother-in-law, making her feel very special (brownie points for me). The menu selection although limited, had something for everyone. my youngest wanted a milkshake which was presented very well, and the very good form what i hear. We would definitely return for intimate and also family dinners.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank StobKent1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

The MacDonald hotel in Edmonton is an icon and it has been many years since I stayed there. The hotel was quite clean and fresh. The bed, sheets, and towels were excellent. The TV and coffee maker in room were great too. For an old stone building it was neither cold nor draughty. We stayed in the turret suites which are a bit cramped and poorly furnished. The view if you get your head into the little window frame is quite nice. The bathroom was quite poorly equipped and there was little water pressure. The lighting was quite yellow and the exhaust fan inadequate. The staff were quite lack lustre in their appearance and appeared almost bored by their positions. Beginning with the valet there was a sense of "Oh well here's another car." The front desk staff did their absolute best to avoid eye contact, smile or chit chat. Felt like a government office counter not a five star hotel. The resaturant and bar served average fare at below average service levels too.

Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The bed, bedding, and bath towels are amazing. Between the noise of outside traffic on Jasper, noise of guest talking by the elevator, the light coming through the drapes because the hardware is in need of repairs, and the lack of a bathroom fan to drown out any noise: a comfortable bed with a too early wake up left me unrested. Our confirmation showed a check in time of 3pm. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 4:25. We were told it would be 30 minutes. We were given complimentary vouchers for one drink each in the lounge and advised they would come get us when the room was ready. I went back to check on the status of the room at 5:05 as we had to be ready for a function at 6pm, which I mentioned when we arrived. The room was not ready and it was decided to give us a different room. On arrival in the room, I found hairs on the bathroom floor, only one bathrobe for two guests, no luggage rack for suitcases. As we now had to rush to get ready for our function I did not call the front desk to bring this to their attention. The hotel advertises itself as four diamond luxury; that was not our experience.

1 Thank cdar
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments of your most recent stay.

It was disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it appears that you encountered a few deficiencies. Our normal check-in time is 3PM and I will ensure follow up is completed to have our standards adhered to. We are known for a very high level of service and attention to detail and I will ensure further training and follow up occurs to ensure we grow and develop our product and our brand.

We hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Second visit in two months. Exceptional service from all staff. Bellmen meet me at the valet service and always offer to take my luggage. As a Presidents Club member, the reception will offer upgrades if available. However, on both occasions, the rooms I booked were already exceptional and upgrades were not necessary. Rooms are large, quiet, have great views, and lots of amenities. Beds are exceptionally comfortable. The Harvest Room service and food is always exceptional. The confederation Lounge is very relaxed and casual. Service is discrete as one day I held two different meetings there and it created a fabulous venue and atmosphere. Reception desk staff are always friendly and helpful. Call bellmen 15 minutes before you need your vehicle from valet and your doors will be open for you when you exit by the bellmen. The outside lounge in non-winter months is a joy to have appetizers, food or drinks. Sunday brunch is probably best in Edmonton. Reservations recommended for special dates. Thank you, Fairmont! I always look forward to my stays.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank EasyRider99
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for your continued loyalty and for sharing your feedback.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoy our products and services. We pride ourselves on ensuring a positive guest experience and it is very nice to hear that we are delivering on our promise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

This old stone building is right on the edge of downtown Edmonton looking out over the valley. The walls are lined with great photos of the hotels past and they in themselves can provide a good few hours entertainment. The hotel is walkable from most of downtown Edmonton, but there are taxis right outside, buses stop across the street and the light railway and underground shopping mall with food outlets is about 30 metre away so you can get to anywhere in Edmonton very easily even without a car. Check in was seamless - the room was spotless, quiet, had everything I needed. Wifi is only free if you join the privilege club of the chain otherwise it costs about $13 for 24 hours, but it is fast. Local knowledge can be had from the wonderful doormen. I didn't use the restaurant on this occasion, but the in room dining was good, hot, beautifully presented and a reasonable price. I would certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the valley
1 Thank seajay1111
Moose Jaw, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed here for one night last week as a coworker had booked in and suggested I stay as well. I have stayed at many Fairmont hotels and some like say the Frontenac in Quebec City are amazing. This one not so special for me. Maybe if I had more time I would of enjoyed it more. The room was fine and clean but certainly not special at all and quite small. Service at front desk was good as well.

I always get ticked off how this type of property nickel and dimes you to death. $15-20 I think for wifi, $32 to park my car. With prices like that I better have a nice room if you want me to not feel ripped off. That didn't happen. I doubt I will be back. I try and rate hotels within their "class". So if I were to rate the Frontenac a five, this is a three at best.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

It was disappointing to see the overall rating for our hotel. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi buy joining our Fairmont President’s Club. With regards to parking, I will ensure we review our pricing with our competitive set to ensure we offer the best rates available. It was very pleasing to read that you felt the service as good as we are known for and pride ourselves on this area with our attention to detail.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future so we can restore your faith in us.

Mont-Tremblant
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I was amazed at how service was good, with everyone, from the housekeeper to the belldesk to the 4 Diamond restaurant servers.

2nd time there in 2 years, I'd say rooms would need renos...especially bathroom...but they did focus on the important stuff, and the beds are really comfy, they seemed new.

The public areas have this château look we kind of like, and need to keep, but the Harvest room could benefit from a major makeover, really...

The breakfast buffet could get more choices...

Service makes this hotel the best Edmonton has to offer for a lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the river, otherwise, it can get pretty noisy even on the 4th floor faci...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends