“Amazing Weekend”

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #12 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights end of April. What an amazing time we had! They accommodated us with every thing we required to make our stay comfy, especially with a 6 month old baby. The staff were super helpful and friendly. Loved the pool and enjoyed breakfast and in room service. Always a great time when we stay at The Macdonald.

Room Tip: We didn't ask for a river view but it would have been nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I recently returned from a business trip to Edmonton where I had the pleasure of enjoying the hospitality and ambiance of the Fairmont MacDonald. This is a grand old hotel on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. The view from our 7th floor room was wonderful (we were fortunate enough to get an upgade). The room was well appointed. the staff were friendly and helpful. The lounge is a great spot for a quick bite or a cocktail. You are two blocks away from the city centre mall. For breakfast we just popped down Jasper Ave. to Starbucks. The workout facility is very well equiped. Being a Fairmont President's Club member allows me to travel a bit lighter as the workout gear is provided to the room. For supper one night we went to the Sherlock Holmes Pub (a short block and a half away). I will definitely stay at the MacDonald every time I visit Edmonton.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JamesII
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. In addition, it was nice to hear that you were able to take advantage of the benefits of the President’s Club. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had a wonderful evening with great food and phenomenal service. The staff were attentive and entertaining, but in a graceful way. They fawned over my mother-in-law, making her feel very special (brownie points for me). The menu selection although limited, had something for everyone. my youngest wanted a milkshake which was presented very well, and the very good form what i hear. We would definitely return for intimate and also family dinners.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank StobKent1
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The MacDonald hotel in Edmonton is an icon and it has been many years since I stayed there. The hotel was quite clean and fresh. The bed, sheets, and towels were excellent. The TV and coffee maker in room were great too. For an old stone building it was neither cold nor draughty. We stayed in the turret suites which are a bit cramped and poorly furnished. The view if you get your head into the little window frame is quite nice. The bathroom was quite poorly equipped and there was little water pressure. The lighting was quite yellow and the exhaust fan inadequate. The staff were quite lack lustre in their appearance and appeared almost bored by their positions. Beginning with the valet there was a sense of "Oh well here's another car." The front desk staff did their absolute best to avoid eye contact, smile or chit chat. Felt like a government office counter not a five star hotel. The resaturant and bar served average fare at below average service levels too.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The bed, bedding, and bath towels are amazing. Between the noise of outside traffic on Jasper, noise of guest talking by the elevator, the light coming through the drapes because the hardware is in need of repairs, and the lack of a bathroom fan to drown out any noise: a comfortable bed with a too early wake up left me unrested. Our confirmation showed a check in time of 3pm. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 4:25. We were told it would be 30 minutes. We were given complimentary vouchers for one drink each in the lounge and advised they would come get us when the room was ready. I went back to check on the status of the room at 5:05 as we had to be ready for a function at 6pm, which I mentioned when we arrived. The room was not ready and it was decided to give us a different room. On arrival in the room, I found hairs on the bathroom floor, only one bathrobe for two guests, no luggage rack for suitcases. As we now had to rush to get ready for our function I did not call the front desk to bring this to their attention. The hotel advertises itself as four diamond luxury; that was not our experience.

2  Thank cdar

Thank you for taking the time to share the comments of your most recent stay.

It was disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it appears that you encountered a few deficiencies. Our normal check-in time is 3PM and I will ensure follow up is completed to have our standards adhered to. We are known for a very high level of service and attention to detail and I will ensure further training and follow up occurs to ensure we grow and develop our product and our brand.

We hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Second visit in two months. Exceptional service from all staff. Bellmen meet me at the valet service and always offer to take my luggage. As a Presidents Club member, the reception will offer upgrades if available. However, on both occasions, the rooms I booked were already exceptional and upgrades were not necessary. Rooms are large, quiet, have great views, and lots of amenities. Beds are exceptionally comfortable. The Harvest Room service and food is always exceptional. The confederation Lounge is very relaxed and casual. Service is discrete as one day I held two different meetings there and it created a fabulous venue and atmosphere. Reception desk staff are always friendly and helpful. Call bellmen 15 minutes before you need your vehicle from valet and your doors will be open for you when you exit by the bellmen. The outside lounge in non-winter months is a joy to have appetizers, food or drinks. Sunday brunch is probably best in Edmonton. Reservations recommended for special dates. Thank you, Fairmont! I always look forward to my stays.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank EasyRider99
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for your continued loyalty and for sharing your feedback.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoy our products and services. We pride ourselves on ensuring a positive guest experience and it is very nice to hear that we are delivering on our promise.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

This old stone building is right on the edge of downtown Edmonton looking out over the valley. The walls are lined with great photos of the hotels past and they in themselves can provide a good few hours entertainment. The hotel is walkable from most of downtown Edmonton, but there are taxis right outside, buses stop across the street and the light railway and underground shopping mall with food outlets is about 30 metre away so you can get to anywhere in Edmonton very easily even without a car. Check in was seamless - the room was spotless, quiet, had everything I needed. Wifi is only free if you join the privilege club of the chain otherwise it costs about $13 for 24 hours, but it is fast. Local knowledge can be had from the wonderful doormen. I didn't use the restaurant on this occasion, but the in room dining was good, hot, beautifully presented and a reasonable price. I would certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the valley
1  Thank seajay1111