“Was just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Was just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Me and the wife spent 2 nights at this hotel. Food & service were good, overall appearance was nice. Room was very outdated and overall based on what you pay per night is definitely not worth it compared to other hotels we've stayed in the city.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

It was very disheartening to read your comments regarding our hotel being Just OK. We pride ourselves on a very high level of service and attention to detail. Please contact me personally at the hotel as it would be my pleasure to learn more about your stay so that we may improve and enhance our offering.

Garrett Turta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We've wanted to stay at the Hotel Macdonald for years, and finaly did so this weekend for our 22nd anniversary. The staff is excellent, the rooms a bit small (but this is a historic property, so to be expected) but luxuriously appointed, and the bed is possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on! Our room was absolutely quiet - I didn't hear a thing from either outside or from other guests. The self parking is a bit shady and requires walking outside in the cold through a dirty parkade and parking lot - perhaps I should have sprung for the valet parking. We had a light meal at the Confederation lounge and found the food excellent (though pricey) and the server (Jennifer) was wonderful! My only other objection (besides the parking situation) is that I think they could be a little more generous than they are - for a hotel that is already in the "very expensive" range, I don't understand the upcharges. You have to be a member of the President's Club to get free wifi - otherwise it's about $15 extra. A 1 litre bottle of water in the room was $7. And the room HAS a mini fridge but you have to pay (I think $25?) for the privilege of using it (it's locked). I felt a bit like I was being "nickel and dimed" to death. All in all, we very much enjoyed it, but I doubt we'll be back for at least another 22 years ;-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend your special anniversary with us.

We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were glad that we could add to the enjoyment of your occasion. It was disappointing to hear your comments on our pricing structures. I will follow up with our leadership team to ensure that our pricing is comparable to our market set. We do offer complimentary WiFi to all our President’s Club Members and this is a no fee sign up. With regards to the use of the mini fridge in the room, these are not locked and there is no charge to utilize this feature.

Thank you for your comments as all feedback both positive and constructive are key to our growth and development.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in February for two nights. I travel to edmonton four to five times a year and this is by far my favorite place. Very pleased with everything. It's beautiful. I usually stay at the Matrix or the Westin. This was far better. Fantastic service, lush room. Adored it!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunny1978
Prince George
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Macdonald. The staff was amazing! So helpful and accommodating. I am truly impressed with the customer service. We were able to check in early which was so nice! We ordered breakfast and it was good. The drinks were also good. The large King size bed was such a nice treat, and so comfy. The building is very beautiful.

We got a room facing a road with a bus stop and there was loud beeping every half an hour or so. I slept horribly the first night, and the second night there were very loud drunk people in hallway throughout the night so I did not get any sleep. We already switched rooms from a louder room, so we didn't want to ask for another change. If you are used to quiet and a lighter sleeper you may have trouble sleeping at this hotel.

The rooms are older, but kept clean. The detergent used on the sheets seemed strong and gave me a very painful rash. The food is pricey ($25 for a single pizza), so we just went to restaurants in the area... there are lots! We also got charged for making a couple local calls which was a first for us, and there is a charge for wifi unless you sign up for a free Fairmont membership which we did.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, but would not stay here again myself do to the sleep issue.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jalingra
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback of your most recent stay with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. We review all feedback to ensure we continue to grow and develop our hotel and Fairmont brand.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would definitely recommend our property. However it was disheartening to hear of the noise that you encountered. We will have the windows inspected in your room to ensure sound proofing. In addition, I will follow up with our night team to ensure property patrols are completed on our guest floors to ensure all noise pollution is removed from the inside our facility. With regards to our menu pricing, I will ensure we compare our prices to the local area to maintain a proper pricing alignment.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have earlier stayed at Fairmont Group of hotels in various locations in Canada way back in 2002. I recently stayed at the Fairmont, Edmonton in January 2014 and was happy to experience the same if not improved level of service and hospitality.
The Fairmont Macdonald has a great location, very close to the Convention Center.
Since we had booked a suite, they gave a choice of 3 different types to choose from with amazing views. Staff is excellent, very courteous and helpful.
The spa, pool and fitness room was excellent.
They are truly one of the best hotel chains in the world.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the River have amazing views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to relay your feedback. All comments both positive and constructive are key for the future growth and development of our individual hotel and Fairmont brand.

It was very pleasing to read the comments from your most recent stay. I will ensure that your comments regarding our service are shared with my team and we are very proud to continue and improve the trend of great service and attention to detail.

We do hope for a swift return The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stay here every time I come to Edmonton and have yet to be disappointed. I arrived in the early hours of the morning on this occasion and was greeted as ever with a cheerful smile and great efficiency. The room was up to the same great standards, and I don't know what they use as air freshener in this hotel, but I just love the smell. After a long hot shower I climbed into bed and had a great night sleep, followed by a breakfast meeting in the hotel the following day. The only criticism I would make of this hotel is the wifi - Presidents Club members can get free wifi to read e mails etc, but this no longer lets them stream, in order to do this they now have to pay for an upgrade. I resent having to pay for wifi these days, and actively seek out hotels that provide free high speed wifi as when you are on the road this is important to be able to wind down as well as for business purposes. This, I have to say , would make me think twice about seeing what else is around in the area as at the sort of prices that Fairmonts charge, you can find great hotels with free high speed wifi all over the world. its time they woke up to what a turn off this can be for business travellers and that they risk loosing loyal customers for the sake of a few dollars.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank seajay1111
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a historic hotel in the middle of the city, overlooking the River Valley (our room).
We had a great stay, enjoying the property, with its retro ambience.
The room was spacious, very clean, with a mix of old style furniture with all modern conveniences you can ask for.
Swimming pool was a bit cold for an indoor, but the hot tub was great. Steam room was nice, but didn't check for the sauna.
The dinner at the Harvest Room was one of the best I've ever had! A bit pricey but that's what you get for the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent as well.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river valley will be more expensive, but the view is definitely the best!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tiago M
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to share your feedback on your most recent stay with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of all that we had to offer. It was disappointing to hear that you felt the pool was a bit on the cooler side. I will ensure that this is looked into. In addition, I will ensure your comments regarding our Food and Beverage offering are shared with my team.