“Awesome place to get away”

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Slave Lake, Canada
“Awesome place to get away”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the fairmont on our anniversary. What a place. Beautiful setting. Gorgeous gardens an patio.. The deluxe rooms are luxurious an spacious. We had an absolutely fabulous time. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic get away or even jus a relaxing weekend.. The food is a little pricy but really good!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jesse P
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us.

We are very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our gardens and patio. In addition, we are pleased that we were able to add to the enjoyment of your special get a way weekend.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Garrett Turta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for business. Arrived and attended the tea on Sunday afternoon. Waited 15 minutes to be approached at the table to get something to drink. When service did come I had tinfoil piece in my perscutto and my plate was dripping wet. It appear that they didn't have enough waitstaff for the people booked and reserved. The food tasted like it had been sitting out for sometime.

At check-in they couldn't find my president reward number and told me to go find it myself on my computer later and let them know. I don't know why they couldn't find it on their actual computer system.

I have stated the Banff location and found this to be not up to the Banff standard (and I have attended their tea), although the room was better decorated.

The room in Edmonton had fingerprint marks all over the mirrors and windows and as I was entering the room for the first time the housekeeping stopped me so that they could check the room. I'm not sure why this wouldn't have been done upon my gaining access to the room.

For $650 a night I would've expected more.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DragonSamurai
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

It was very disappointing to hear the service you experienced as this is certainly not indicative of the level we provide. I can assure you that your comments will be shared with my team to ensure any deficiencies are corrected for the future.

Please contact me personally so I can gain further details to ensure actions are taken to follow the vision we want to provide for our guests for a positive memorable experience.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a great hotel located on the hill overlooking the river valley. Located in the center of downtown Edmonton with outstanding rooms with views, great restaurants and bars, very nice spa facilities . A great hotel for business or just a fantastic weekend as we did. The staff are very helpful and polite. The garden at the back of the hotel is breath taking, fountain, flowers, views, pathways. terrace dinning. Go I know you won't be disappointed

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 23 June 2014

It was very gratifying to hear your feedback on our hotel. I will ensure your comments are shared with my team.

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights on business. I love the old Fairmont hotels across Canada. Earlier this year I had stayed at the Fairmont hotels in Quebec, Montreal and Vancouver. This was the first time I stayed at this one. I found it to be on a much smaller scale than the others I've stayed at. The lobby area is small and they do not have a Gold floor although are apparently working on one.

The friendly young lady at the front desk went out of her way to help me with directions, etc. I typically book my reservations directly on the Fairmont site; for this stay I used Expedia. Sadly, this did not fair well for me. I ended up with I think the hotel's smallest room possible, on the third floor, directly across from the elevator, overlooking a roadway between the hotel and an adjacent building - it felt like a punishment for not booking directly with Fairmont. The other disappointment was as it ended up, I did not receive my President's Club points. When I called, they advised it was because I had booked on Expedia.

I returned to the front desk to ask for a room away from the elevator; they only had a river view room to offer me at an additional cost. I took it to avoid having to stay in the less desirable room. The room I ended up with was larger and the view was indeed nice. I would recommend if you can, that you chose a river view room when booking. Or at least ensure you don't end up in one of the tiny rooms. My king bed, the bedding and the pillows were all very comfortable.

I ended up having dinner by myself in the lobby bar restaurant one night. There had been some light entertainment earlier in the evening. As most lobby bars, I found the prices to be high, but the menu is extensive enough as is the drinks list, comparable to the other Fairmont's I've stayed in price wise. The lobby bar restaurant had plenty of seating and a warm and cozy atmosphere. Service was good as was the food and drink I'd ordered.

I would certainly recommend this Fairmont if you happen to be in Edmonton on business. If you have found this review helpful, please let me know by clicking below.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Riverside
Reviewed 16 June 2014

staff blaming the corporate office and most likely corporate office blaming the staff however lots of hidden charges which they never explain at the time of the check in and they charge for internet could you believe that I stay in many hotels last year the hole year spend it in the hotel and it was first that I was asked to pay for the internet

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Valentina M
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments of your most recent stay as we are always looking for ways to improve.

It was very disappointing to hear your comments on our team blaming corporate office. I can assure you that I will be following up as this should never be the case. With regards to our internet, we do charge. However, if you sign up to be a President’s Club member this fee is waived. I will ensure follow up with my front office team to ensure clarification of charges.

We do believe in our product and service and do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 9 June 2014

From the moment I arrived in my car, to the departure two days later, the vast majority of the staff were polite, helpful, and efficient. Dave greeted us and promptly took care of our car and luggage, and even had a good conversation about the other Fairmont hotel we were both very familiar with. At check-in, we encountered friendly and personal front desk staff, including Anna who is the prototype for being a good front desk personnel. Alex , who manages the dining room and lounge, is a most promising rising star.

We felt we were being taken care very nicely. So why not 5 star rating? To begin with, the lobby can feel crammed at times when it gets busy. The space between the reception desk and elevator can be tight during busy times. Our room, while is situated exactly where we had requested,( thanks again to the excellent front desk staff who we spoke with a day prior to arrival) has an odd configuration with slanted ceiling at a corner due to the architecture of the exterior. The wall between us and our neighbor has to be the thinnest of all the Fairmonts we have stayed in, as we could hear the small child next door talking to her parent .

Our experience at the three food services were mixed. We were here for a wedding. The Empire ballroom was elegant, good acoustics, nice size, and service was good. Harvest room supposedly for fine dining turned out really bad due to a poor server and , in my opinion, an inexperienced chef. The situation was rescued by Alex the manager, who made sure we were taken care of properly the next day when we went back to lunch at Confederation lounge.

Would I stay here again? Yes. The staff try to uphold the Fairmont reputation for service and they have done a marvelous job. Certain structural things cannot be changed and I can understand that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments of your most recent stay.

It was very nice to read the comments regarding our superb service, however disheartening to hear the service you received in our Harvest Room. I would appreciate if you could contact me personally so I could learn more of your experience to correct any deficiencies. With regards to the shape of our rooms and building, the architecture is sometimes challenging however, does create unique rooms as well.

I will ensure your comments are shared with my team and will give a special recognition to the colleagues mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our wedding night, and chose this hotel because of the beautiful architecture and rich history of the hotel. The staff were friendly, but upon entering our room, I had stumbled upon a dog bone (or so we think) near the window sill. We called the front desk and they immediately switched us out to another room, and the night shift managers apologised and asked if he could do anything to make our stay comfortable. The rooms are quite outdated, and the washroom in both rooms we had entered looked like they weren’t clean. The housekeeping service wasn’t up to the standard of the Fairmont, as we’ve stayed in others Fairmont’s and have seen cleaner rooms. The breakfast was delicious in the morning as well as the view, which made our stay a little better. You would think with a pricey hotel such as the Hotel Macdonald that the value for your buck would be great, we were disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: Not sure what tip we could give, we've seen two of their upgraded rooms and they were both disap...