“The only way to do Edmonton, really!”

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver
“The only way to do Edmonton, really!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont for 2 nights on a recent stay in Edmonton. The hotel is elegant and stately with beautiful views over Edmonton and the River Valley. Service was friendly and impeccable. We loved having Smudge, the lab/welcoming committee, hanging out in the lobby. It really gives the hotel a nice, welcoming touch. We spent a lot of time on the patio of the Confederation Lounge; we even dined there one night. The food was absolutely delicious and the drinks were amazing. We really felt spoiled while we were there and will definitely stay here again on a return visit to Edmonton!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments on our team being impeccable and friendly. I will ensure your comments are shared with my team and will make sure Smudge gets a special scratch as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edmonton.

Garrett Turta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Macdonald is a stately hotel with magnificent lobby. When you walk in, it immediately feels like you've stepped into another era where elegance and grandeur were the norm. I received a free upgrade and my room was huge. A tip about internet: if you are staying at a Fairmont, before you leave home, sign up online for their free "frequent stay" card - show the card and the internet is free - otherwise it's pricey. Staff were very professional and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve M
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback of your most recent stay.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to upgrade your room to enhance your visit. Finally, I will ensure your comments are shared with my team regarding our team being professional and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Fairmont Edmonton is a very comfortable hotel, guests are well looked after, a special place to be. Rooms are very comfortable, lovely soft beds, a good nights rest, facilities are excellent, wish I could afford to go there more often!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hi, are you a business traveler like me? Do you, perhaps, require the use of this newest of inventions, the "internet"? Do you enjoy being able to do things like book a flight or check emails? If so, this hotel is not for you! I cannot believe that in this day in age a hotel chain (any hotel chain, let alone a Fairmont) would not provide a strong wireless connection. I stayed here last month, and a colleague stayed in a separate room on a separate floor. Neither of us could visit a website before the connection was lost. I am a Fairmont Platinum member, meaning I stay at their hotels at least 30 times a year....and this was the worst experience. The hotel itself is tired too. You can only use the "historic" excuse for so long. It is simple to keep the historical charm while providing more updated finishings. Really poor.

2 Thank MEB2010
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

We certainly understand the importance of Wi-Fi in our hotel and we had made changes to upgrade and enhance the service, however we encountered several glitches with our new system that have now been rectified. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our guests. We continue to work hard to ensure we offer the best possible product and seamless guest stays.

We do hope to welcome you back so we can restore your faith in us.

Petrolia, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A beautiful old hotel with updated, modern amenities. Considered to be elegant. Very high room rates for such small rooms, but you're paying for the location, view, greeters, etc. Staff are friendly and very responsive.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Laura N
Slave Lake, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the fairmont on our anniversary. What a place. Beautiful setting. Gorgeous gardens an patio.. The deluxe rooms are luxurious an spacious. We had an absolutely fabulous time. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic get away or even jus a relaxing weekend.. The food is a little pricy but really good!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jesse P
GarrettTurta, General Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us.

We are very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our gardens and patio. In addition, we are pleased that we were able to add to the enjoyment of your special get a way weekend.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for business. Arrived and attended the tea on Sunday afternoon. Waited 15 minutes to be approached at the table to get something to drink. When service did come I had tinfoil piece in my perscutto and my plate was dripping wet. It appear that they didn't have enough waitstaff for the people booked and reserved. The food tasted like it had been sitting out for sometime.

At check-in they couldn't find my president reward number and told me to go find it myself on my computer later and let them know. I don't know why they couldn't find it on their actual computer system.

I have stated the Banff location and found this to be not up to the Banff standard (and I have attended their tea), although the room was better decorated.

The room in Edmonton had fingerprint marks all over the mirrors and windows and as I was entering the room for the first time the housekeeping stopped me so that they could check the room. I'm not sure why this wouldn't have been done upon my gaining access to the room.

For $650 a night I would've expected more.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DragonSamurai

It was very disappointing to hear the service you experienced as this is certainly not indicative of the level we provide. I can assure you that your comments will be shared with my team to ensure any deficiencies are corrected for the future.

Please contact me personally so I can gain further details to ensure actions are taken to follow the vision we want to provide for our guests for a positive memorable experience.