Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #13 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We spent a beautiful weekend at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald and I have to say it was for the most part a wonderful weekend splurge. The Fairmont customer service is in a league of its own. It is intuitive, not intrusive and for the first time, where service is concerned I felt like I got my money’s worth.
If you are considering a stay at this particular location here is a list of pros and cons:

PROS:

1.The service is impeccable

2.The valet parking is worth it, parking downtown is over the top expensive so for an extra couple of dollars on top of the standard 20+ parking fees downtown it is a wonderful thing to be able to just pull up, exit your car and head right up to your room.

3.The valets and doormen take care of all your luggage upon arrival

4.Check-in is quick and seamless

5.Make sure you join the President’s Club before your stay, this will provide you with free wireless and also provide your with beautiful Adidas workout wear for a $10.00 fee (including shoes)

6.If you leave your shoes outside your door, they will be returned to you polished the next day

7.I drank a Hot Chocolate in the lounge that I believe came from Narnia

CONS:

1.The in room dining is a colossal waste of money. A friend that stayed in the hotel at the same time as us ordered a piece of chicken for her son. She knew it would be expensive but we were astounded at the price for what we got. It was a plain piece of rubbery chicken, a cup of white rice and 3 pieces of broccolini. No drinks, no dessert, her total bill was $41.00. We also ordered breakfast one morning; we received some rubbery eggs, a sausage and some fingerling potatoes. We also had toast that looked like Dempsters bread and half a carafe of coffee with a small glass of juice each. Our total bill for both breakfasts was $61.00. It would be worth the cost if the food was out of this world, sadly, it was less than average quality ensuring I will never make the mistake again. You can call waiters en route and they will deliver food to your room for half of the price, and it will taste a whole lot better.

2.Dining in the lounge is also a huge waste of money. My brother ordered a portabella mushroom burger. It took almost 45 minutes to get to the table, and was a mushroom on a soggy bun with a tiny little bowl full of fries that looked like they were from a bag. For $19.00 I expected much, much more.

3.I expected a bit more in terms of décor and amenities for the rooms. They looked a little run down; the showerhead in particular had mildew stains on it and looked like it could have easily been in a Super 8 motel.

4.The pool looked nothing like what was pictured on the website. It was very misleading; it looked like an average run of the mill motel pool. I imagine, the area in general might be a little prettier in the spring and summer when they open the doors up and patrons can sit out in the garden after taking a swim, sadly, in the winter, it’s not much of an experience. Also one of the mornings someone had left a apple core sitting next to the Jacuzzi tub which sat there for the hour and a half I was using the facilities. Kind of gross. The change rooms were nice, but dated looking. They also advertised the area as a spa, and the only spa services were massages, which were incredibly overpriced.

So in summary, I would recommend this beautiful, old hotel however I don’t believe the cost of a room for the evening is worth given the fact you have to pay for the amenities that make the hotel special. I would also warn you to not order room service, it is overpriced and not worth it by any means. I could have prepared a meal that was substantially better and I am not even that great of a cook. If you can score a deal for a weekend, I would say it’s worth it, even if the room is around $180.00 a night. While researching hotels in Edmonton, I was shocked to see Best Western’s and Holiday Inn’s charging upwards of 150+ a night. I would definitely rather spend a few dollars extra to receive the level of service provided by the Fairmont over the lack of service I know those types of hotels would provide.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teamzissou
Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed 8 January 2011

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald is among one of the most prestigous hotels in our country. Everytime I go to Edmonton I look forward to staying in this splendid old world hotel. From the first steps inside the first impressions are that of excellent service, and a style of hotel which is now a some-what rarity of a hotel in Canada. The service of the hotel is excellent, the staff are always doing everything to help whenever it is needed. The rooms of the hotel are excellent, I must admit that the standard rooms are a little small and cramped, but if you upgrade to a deluxe, or junior suite, the rooms have much more space. The decor of the rooms are old worldish, as is the rest of the hotel. The bathrooms in the rooms are really nice as well, Iike the idea of marble counters. The Harvest Room is really good. It is so delightful to have breakfast in the airy room, overlooking the river valley. The barrel ceilings, and stained glass are very pretty. The food is very good, I would recommend the Eggs Benedict. it is absoleutly splendid, and I have it every time I stay there. I think that the pool area is also very good. Overall the ambience of the hotel is that of an era which screamed class. I think that if you ever have the chance to stay in this hotel that you should. It is a gem in Edmonton.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
H0telMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2011

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. It was great to read how you enjoyed the ambience of the hotel, the great staff , attentive service received and of course the wonderful view from The Harvest Room Restaurant overlooking the river valley. Thank you so much for staying with us and your recommendation as a place to stay when in Edmonton. On behalf of the entire team, we hope to see you in the near future.

Regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 22 November 2010

A great place - my second stay there, and I was very pleased. The staff are great - especially the valets who warmed up my car for me each morning! The updated rooms are fairly nice - quite roomy for a historic property.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Cheocheo
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at "the Mac" as I believe the locals call it. True, it is expensive, and the service in the lounge and bringing me my car was slow. However... my room overlooking the river was lovely. One of the best beds ever (even better than their hotel in Whistler - the Chateau!). I loved the old hotel and the grand staircase going all the way to the top! The food was very good ( though, again, expensive). Had a wonderful late night snack and breakfast in the restaurant and the service there was excellent. Their fitness facilities are adequate (though the pool is too small to do lengths) and had a marvelous massage (thanks, Janice!) If I return to Edmonton, without a doubt, this is where I will return.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank kejimkujik
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Normally i don't stay in these old, elegant hotels. For a landmark hotel in a big city, it is not that large, but what a beautiful building. And to think that it closed down in 1983 for nice years and was under consideration to be torn down and replaced by a stupid office building! Places like this are just not built anymore. It is not cheap, but I came away satisfied. I loved my comfortable room overlooking the river and enjoyed the restaurant. The service in all regards was just fine, except I had to wait about half an hour for a bellman this morning when leaving. Evidently they had more guests departing at that time than the available staff could handle. I made good use of their well equipped gym and pool.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
H0telMgmt, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

• Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the elegance of our grand historical building. Your comments and patience during your check-out experience are appreciated and please know that we as a team work diligently to ensure that our guest's receive the highest standard of service. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2010

Stayed one night for our anniversary. We booked the romance package which includes champagne, flutes, valet parking, roses, chocolate strawberries, bubble bath, and breakfast. When I booked the package I asked if instead of champagne we could have wine to which the answer was "no problem" Upon check in I confirmed the wine instead of champagne and asked that it all be delivered at 9:00 after our supper reservation. By 9:30 when nothing had arrived I attempted to phone the front desk but the phone in our room would not work using the handset and it took some button pushing to realize that only the speaker on the phone would work. When I explained that we were waiting for our package, I did not receive an "I'm sorry" just a curt " it is on it's way" When it did arrive and the room service guy opened the bottle we realized that it was indeed champagne not the wine we had requested. Rather than wait again, we just took it.
That evening we filled in the order for our breakfast the next morning. It arrived on time while I was in the shower. After the delivery guy had left I came out to find that my order was VERY wrong, instead of eggs benedict I had some yogurt, muselix, berries, and a blueberry muffin. Since my husband and I wanted to eat together I ate what had been delivered rather than wait for my order to be corrected.
When done breakfast I checked the bill and we had been charged for the valet parking which was supposed to be included. Since I did not feel like talking on speaker phone, I went to the front desk to have this corrected. There was no problem in fixing the charge but when I explained the other problems that I had experienced I got an "ooohh, that's too bad" and "do you know who checked you in?" I am not sure what difference that would have made as I do not feel that the person who checked me in was the root of the issues so I said that I did not and left the front desk.
All in all, the hotel is quite beautiful but I would not spend the money to stay there again nor would I ever book another one of their so called packages, it is really not worth the extra money for all the disappointment we experienced.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveanti
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I just finished a 6 night stay at the hotel. And, it was wonderful.
This is a character hotel with lovely ambiance. The fixtures, furnishings and views are something to see!
I was there on business but wanted to have the best time possible. As a Fairmont member, I was able to use a 'coupon' for a suite upgrade. For my stay, I was in a very large suite. Two closets (one was a walk-in closet). Sitting room. Couch. Two televisions. It was spacious and clean. And, had a wonderful view of the river. I could not have been more pleased. Finally, I am very light sleeper, and I slept like a baby. It was quiet. The bed was comfortable, and the thermostats worked like a dream.
Parking was rather expensive. $28 per day. Valet and self-park were the same price.
The pool, hot tub, steamroom and sauna were good. But, were in need of some repair. The tiles looked a bit worn and some tiles were missing. Luckily, the pool area was rarely busy and I relaxed with few others. It was peaceful and serene.
I had room service on two occasions. The food and service was excellent. I would highly recommend it. My low fat blueberry loaf was so fresh--it must have just been popped out of the oven.
Overall, it was a great stay! I plan on staying there again if and when I visit Edmonton.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business