“Parkade Unsafe”

Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Beaumont, AB
“Parkade Unsafe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I WAS having a very good experience at this landmark hotel, until I got a call from the Manager on Duty telling me to come down to the front desk asap. when I got there she told me my car, in the parkade, attached to the hotel and rented out to ImPark, had 2 broken windows! The staff handled this well, after the fact, but I was disappointed to hear them say that Level 4/5 is not a safe place to park your car because it is usually pretty empty overnight. If the staff know this, why aren't overnight guests warned? And why doesn't a hotel of this calibre, require that security video cameras are installed by the parking lot owners? Someone broke both of my car's passenger side windows and went into my car, emptied out my glove compartments and left stuff on seat. I don't know if they took anything. They left the change on the door. So I spent the next day with police reporting and insurance and I will have a few weeks of a rental care, thanks to these vandals. I will never park in that parked again. I probably won't stay overnight in this hotel again. Be aware if you go there. Park close to the street level if you have to leave your car there overnight.

1 Thank RynnieBeaumont_AB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I can't speak to the rooms as I was only here for a conference, but I imagine my experience is probably indicative to the hotel overall.

Chateau Lacombe has clearly seen better days. Despite a ballroom/conference space that holds 400+ people there is woefully inadequate toilet facilities. The ones that do exist are a an annoying blend of the new, with ridiculous motion activated toilet paper dispensers yet manual flushing toilets and manual taps.

Chandeliers in the main ballroom are missing chunks and have many missing/burnt out lightbulbs. The food served was more along the lines of what one might have expected in terms of taste and quality from when the hotel was in its heyday (70s?)

Perhaps this is the best of what Edmonton has to offer? I'm really not sure but I think that I would give it a pass if I was booking a wedding or conference. That said, the banquet staff that I encountered were quite nice - a surprise considering the vaguely depressing work environment that they have.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for the time taken to share your feedback on the hotel. The Chateau Lacombe Hotel is in the midst of a 10 million dollar refresh and our newly renovated ballroom washrooms will reopen mid July 2014.

I’m sorry that you were not a fan of our historic chandeliers. We kept the chandeliers as homage to our Fairmont roots and have replaced all 700 ballroom chairs, drapery, carpet and dance floor. Our wedding couples seem very excited about the brand new space.

Wishing you a memorable summer.
Brampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very enjoyable stay. The hotel is very attractive even though it is several years old. Service is excellent. Staff very friendly. Room very clean. Location easy to find on GPS. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here for almost two weeks and the staff were great , food , service , housekeeping staff. Everyone made me feel like family always very helpful and friendly. I will be coming back very soon. I like the central downtown location everything close banks and stores. Very quiet hotel I had a view of the city and river nice clean room, I had to change rooms both very clean and nice.

• Stayed April 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at the Chateau Lacombe April 11 - 13 Nice hotel. Quick easy check in, friendly staff, some aspects of the room were a bit dated but nice and clean. The food was good at all 3 restaurants on site. I need to mention Liliana at the Bellamy lounge. The Friday night turned out to be super busy in the lounge, she was the lone server and this girl did a great job of getting everyone food and drinks with a smile and being polite. (Management: This girl is a keeper) Also need to mention the tall older Bellman who was so helpful with information on how to use the LRT system. Thank you (Sorry i didn't get your name).

Room Tip: Pay the few extra bucks for the "king bed river view rooms". Worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

ok check in at 10pm. lady was just whatever, not friendly at all.. get into room and expected much more because of the fancy name, gorgeous lobby, concierge, revolving restaurant and what not. rooms were just ok, bed was so comfortable. internet was kind of annoying making me sign back in with password every 2-4 hours without even leaving the room. modern room though, and for the money ($120) i really shouldnt complain. good location, close to mall, did eat at the lounge which was nice. i didnt eat breakfast there though. overall was a good stay. Upon checkout i has some more rude front desk staff even the manager, talked to me like i didnt know what i was talking about but was too early in the morning to argue or figure it out. Would stay there again for sure though,

1 Thank Danielle0720
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Danielle0720

Thank you for your feedback.

The hotel has embarked on a multi million dollar refresh of our public spaces as well as four floors of concierge guest rooms. While these upgrades improve our guest room product, we also embrace the restoration of the Chateau Lacombe Hotel guest services. We are addressing your detailed concerns with our Guest Services team

I truly apologize that your experience was less then memorable. I do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to do better.

Warm Regards,
Richard Wong, VP & GM

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Everything is pretty dirty, confusing parkade, First staff was rude, the rest were awesome! Unfortunately it is under receivership and renovations.. Got a really gross room and the bath tub was missing enamel and was dirty. I could hear all the construction above me. They were really nice and gave me a better room. When I was getting my new room. I overheard that there was free breakfast for certain guests. I asked which guest get free breakfast. I was told that booking through a third party like I did, does not include free breakfast. I went online to see the difference in price.. I was paying the same amount. I felt like a second rate customer because of not booking direct. parking per night was $15 extra, limited size of vehicle in very narrow parkade. Staff was awesome in the lounge, great view in the evening, the food was terrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 13th floor it is called the quiet floor. The 18th and 19th are the floors bein...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bev S
Dear Bev S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. I am sorry for the challenges you experienced while at the hotel.

I’m pleased to share that the hotel was purchased in May 2013, and under new ownership and leadership, we have embarked on a large reinvestment to the hotel including four full floors of guest rooms and public spaces. Indeed, it sounds like this may have been the noise that you experienced. Your comments have been shared with the Senior leadership team and we are addressing the service gaps you received during your stay.

Our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. We promise we will do better.

Warm Regards,