“good hotel”

Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly and very respectful also the room Was clean and comfortable the view was good too. and price was cempetitve compared to other hotels. also the morning breakfast was good even if it didnt included in the cost of room

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Chateau Lacombe Hotel

Reviewed 15 May 2014

They have started work on refurbishing the rooms, which they REALLY need. The rooms are clean, but what makes them feel "dirty" is an issue with the double glazing where some of the black sealant has leaked into the unit and run down the inside of the panel and cannot be cleaned off.
A higher floor room will keep you out of the eye-line of the adjacent building and if you are there on business, some of the rooms have arm chairs and a table, while others have a desk and chair. (the former is completely useless to work from).
The staff are very friendly and helpful. (they are the reason I rate the hotel as average rather than poor).
The ground floor bar offers great views across the valley and the food is there is tasty enough (try the buffalo wings!).
Centrally located and within walking distance of Churchill Square.
Not sure I would be happy to stay there if I was on holiday but as a business hotel it worked for me.

Room Tip: Choose something on a higher floor if you can and over looking the river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bobbybear69
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed as a team here for the Canadian National Volleyball Championships. We would not allow the boys (17 years old) out at night. As a woman I would not walk alone in this area at night. Very sketchy neighborhood and a shelter nearby. We even saw a drug bust takedown with police dogs one street over. I was charged $20.00 a day for a fridge that I requested, with no notice that it was extra. I argued this and the extra $100.00 was taken off our tab. Buffet breakfast was good, beds ok. They should really do some upgrades , especially the curtains. Close to LRT, and walking and jogging paths into valley. Be wary...all the same.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed From April 20-May 3 on a business trip. Average hotel. Not too fancy, clean but washrooms were run down. Definitely needs a facelift. Hotel conference food provided was not so great. Decent hotel, maybe they should consider making the costs a little lower than what they charge.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The rooms are average, some updating of the furniture would be nice. The TV stand looked it seen better days as it was beaten up pretty bad. The hotel is located right in heart of Edmonton and easy to get to. HUGE bonus to pet parents this hotel does not over price their pet/night prices as some others.

The service was fantastic, quickly checked in and other than the furniture the rooms where clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Pet friendly and close to down town
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I WAS having a very good experience at this landmark hotel, until I got a call from the Manager on Duty telling me to come down to the front desk asap. when I got there she told me my car, in the parkade, attached to the hotel and rented out to ImPark, had 2 broken windows! The staff handled this well, after the fact, but I was disappointed to hear them say that Level 4/5 is not a safe place to park your car because it is usually pretty empty overnight. If the staff know this, why aren't overnight guests warned? And why doesn't a hotel of this calibre, require that security video cameras are installed by the parking lot owners? Someone broke both of my car's passenger side windows and went into my car, emptied out my glove compartments and left stuff on seat. I don't know if they took anything. They left the change on the door. So I spent the next day with police reporting and insurance and I will have a few weeks of a rental care, thanks to these vandals. I will never park in that parked again. I probably won't stay overnight in this hotel again. Be aware if you go there. Park close to the street level if you have to leave your car there overnight.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RynnieBeaumont_AB
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I can't speak to the rooms as I was only here for a conference, but I imagine my experience is probably indicative to the hotel overall.

Chateau Lacombe has clearly seen better days. Despite a ballroom/conference space that holds 400+ people there is woefully inadequate toilet facilities. The ones that do exist are a an annoying blend of the new, with ridiculous motion activated toilet paper dispensers yet manual flushing toilets and manual taps.

Chandeliers in the main ballroom are missing chunks and have many missing/burnt out lightbulbs. The food served was more along the lines of what one might have expected in terms of taste and quality from when the hotel was in its heyday (70s?)

Perhaps this is the best of what Edmonton has to offer? I'm really not sure but I think that I would give it a pass if I was booking a wedding or conference. That said, the banquet staff that I encountered were quite nice - a surprise considering the vaguely depressing work environment that they have.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for the time taken to share your feedback on the hotel. The Chateau Lacombe Hotel is in the midst of a 10 million dollar refresh and our newly renovated ballroom washrooms will reopen mid July 2014.

I’m sorry that you were not a fan of our historic chandeliers. We kept the chandeliers as homage to our Fairmont roots and have replaced all 700 ballroom chairs, drapery, carpet and dance floor. Our wedding couples seem very excited about the brand new space.

Wishing you a memorable summer.