“Central location, decent hotel - but could be more welcoming.”

Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Galway, Ireland
“Central location, decent hotel - but could be more welcoming.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is well located in the downtown district and a short walk (5 min) to a few nice pubs/eateries (but surprisingly limited choice considering the size of the downtown area). The staff were efficient if not particularly friendly or personable. Rooms are quite comfortable, older-style decor, but starting to show signs of age. Coffee machine in room with filter coffee was handy. Didn't have breakfast at the hotel. Nice views of hillsides from adjacent to hotel and presumably from some windows. All in all, a pretty good hotel in a central location. Somehow though it is missing that welcoming feeling.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your posting.

The Chateau Lacombe Hotel is on a journey to restoring the hotel back to its former glory. Part of that transition is a 10 million dollar reinvestment towards our hotel product as well as improvements to our full guest experience.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and do hope to invite you back for a warm welcome. Please reach out to Sherry Parker, Director of Sales to arrange a return visit.

Wishing you a memorable day,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a great place to stay. Simple and sweet. The staff is friendly and the room was clean! The fitness center could use some updates, but there is a nice gym around the corner. The hotel is located just a few blocks from the mall and various restaurant. The breakfast was nice, but it's a bit over priced.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Looked forward to staying this hotel but was disappointed with stay. Felt like a motel like atmosphere. The rooms were updated and clean but found it noisy as the hotel is located beside a major roadway. The noise from the halls echoed into the rooms. Location of the hotel was ok..close enough to the river and town but felt a little uneasy at night...felt like it was on the edge of a seedy area..

Really surprised that they rate themselves as a 3.5 star hotel..I would of given it a solid 2 star but give it another half star to 2.5 because of the updated rooms. Definitely would not stay here again..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jjking

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I sincerely WANTED this to be a great experience, leading to a great review, alas this is not the case. The Chateau Lacombe is a fantastically situated hotel with an extensive selection of nearby amenities, but the hotel itself just fell short in too many categories for me to leave a happy customer.

First, as I said above the location IS amazing. It is centrally located and close to nearly everything you could need: food, entertainment, dining, rental cars, a bus depot, and more. The hotel is easy to find, and easy to navigate. There were some reviews indicating a nearby shelter that caused some discomfort, but I found no issues with this. Parking is located underground and is easy to access.

This was my first time staying at the Chateau Lacombe, and I received no acknowledgement of this whatsoever. While I don't expect a red carpet, a basic understanding of where things are in the hotel would be nice... had to find the elevators, gym, parking, and restaurant on my own. Additionally, as a first timer an upgraded room would have shown some appreciation, but this was not even considered even though I know the hotel was nowhere near capacity. I simply got what I paid for, which in itself is no crime, but certainly does not garner any points in my book. I felt as though I was just being ushered through, which isn't what I like to feel when trying out a new hotel.

The room itself was extremely clean, comfortable, and did offer a spectacular view of the river. I particularly enjoy the unique building shape and large windows provided, with very effective curtains. The interiors appear to have been modernized maybe a decade ago, but are a far cry from being 'up to date'. I have heard rumors of one or two floors that are quite modernized, but I was not upgraded to these.

One MAJOR issue I had in the room is power receptacles. In this day and age nearly EVERY traveller is going to have things he/she needs to charge on a daily/nightly basis. The few receptacles in the room are so awkwardly placed they are nearly un-useable, and to charge my phone I had to unplug the radio. After I had figured everything out, I had to shift the table over to the middle of the room, plug in the phone on the window sill, and drag my laptop cord across the room precariously. There aren't even any built-in plugs in the lamps. I am sorry, but this is not acceptable for any modern hotel nowadays. Power options MUST be considered and they are far below even an afterthought here. They are simply the result of an era when hotel guests did not require plugs often, and as such it shows the age the hotel seems to be stuck in. With relatively high room rates, considerations for upgrading should be considered as hotels, just like the rest of us, need to keep up with the times.

The gym is located on the 4th floor, and is actually quite nice! It offers a decent view of a street and another building for some good people watching, multiple TVs, is cool, and has an attached washroom. The equipment is relatively newer, but when I visited all three elliptical machines and one of the treadmills were inoperable. Some components of the resistance equipment were missing such as handles and hand guards. It is yet another instance of a hotel gym that appears as though it is looked at on a monthly basis.

This was close to a good experience, but the few gripes I have happen to be major (which of course is ALL in my opinion) and resulted in me leaving feeling as though I could have stayed at any bargain brand hotel. I really hope the Chateau Lacombe takes some steps to bring its service and room amenities up to par, and bring this landmark building into the modern era with some flair.

Room Tip: Asking for riverside is always a good idea, also the upper floors are reportedly more modern in term...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellingEh
Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback about your recent stay.

The hotel was purchased in May 2013 and a significant capital reinvestment has been initiated including four floors of Concierge guest rooms that in addition to having 15mb of internet per room along with the OpticTV, we have installed additional plug ins in the rooms. We will continue to modernize all hotel facilities, including the fitness facilities.

In addition to improving our hotel product, we are also reinvesting into our guest services. I apologize for the underwhelming welcome and introduction to the hotel.

We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest to stay in our newly renovated Concierge guest rooms. Please reach out to Sherry Parker, our Director of Sales and Marketing to arrange.

Wishing you a memorable day,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My first review on any hotel/product/service. Thats because I hope no one visits this hotel again.

My husband and I travel frequently and have been to many hotels/motels across North America. This was by far the worst among all of them. Their website is very trendy with nice pics of the place and rooms. The reality is nothing like it. When we first went to our room, our tub was peeling off and YELLOW. I asked for another room and wanted to confirm if that room was upgraded because I wanted a room like they showed on their website. They said "The new room has no complains on the system". So they knew that the first room was a mess and still they gave us that.

The new room they gave us was dirty as well. The arm rests on the sofas were brown with dirt and grime. The edges of the TV table were the same. The tub was still yellow (but not peeling off). You can only get just hot or cold water at the sink. When you want warm water, the other water connection gets blocked I think. The cold water was GREY and we didn't find it suitable for drinking at all. Worst of all, as soon as we got ready to bed, we started feeling itchy. We couldn't see any bugs and looked clean but it was very itcy and couldn't sleep.

Even motels are much cleaner for half the price of this hotel. As far as location is concerned, that is probably the only positive aspect. However, I'd rather stay in a clean and hygenic place and take a bus to wherever I want to go. We reserved 4 nights.... out in 2 nights (all other hotels were sold out for some event)

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel even if its free.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Avanti V
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having stayed and/or dined at this hotel several times over the years, we booked it again on our last trip to Edmonton. We found that, although the service was fairly good, the hotel is really in need of some major work. Several of the windows, in both the lounge and our room, were steamed up between the panes and/or had something interesting dripping from them. The paint badly needs redoing all over. When leaving the parkade, we were shocked to see part of the ceiling falling apart. There was insulation showing everywhere, and a pigeon was roosting in the remains. Although the location is excellent, this hotel really needs to be completely renovated.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your TripAdvisor posting.

Since May 2013, when the hotel was purchased by a local hotelier, the goal has been to restore the Chateau Lacombe Hotel back to its former glory. I’m pleased to share the hotel is currently in a refresh mode with 10 million dollars reinvested back in to the hotel.

One of the largest jobs is the replacement of windows. Back in 1967 when the windows were installed, an adhesive was used between the two panes of glass. Due to Edmonton’s extreme swing in temperatures, the adhesive has melted and dripped between the panes. I’m pleased to share that we are close to beginning this year long project.

We are also committed to the repair of the parkade, and now that the weather is consistent, we have been able to repair the roof as you described. The pigeon looks sad.

Please reach our directly to our Director of Sales, Sherry Parker as we would love to invite you back to share our new guest rooms.

Wishing you a memorable summer.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

One minute by foot from great shopping, restaurant, art gallery...
If you are lucky the wiew from your room will let you see the river otherwise the view is not that great.
Great restaurant on the top floor with live music.
Tha hall is nice, room service quick,but the room are not that modern.
Still a good choice for the place and the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple