“Wonderful Place to Stay”

Varscona Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I spent six nights at the Varscona as I was in Edmonton for my daughter's wedding.
It was beautiful, clean and comfortable! Location was excellent! The staff were friendly and extremely helpful!.
I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stay here when I travel on business. I really enjoy the location on Whyte Avenue. There is a lot to do and see on Whyte.

The building is older and the Wi-Fi isn't very good. Sometimes you can hear the noise from Whyte Avenue, there is a bar right next to the hotel and in the summertime when people are on the patio is can be quite loud.

The bed is comfy and the breakfast is very delicious - boiled eggs, waffles, fruit, toast, muffins, cereal, coffee, teas. The staff is always friendly and there is a Second Cup in the lobby!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank elka_e
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Varscona. I was very happy that I chose to stay in Old Strathcona - a much more lively and interesting neighbourhood than downtown. However, as a business traveller, I was relying on reliable wi-fi and that was not available. They tried to move me to a different room, but were unable to find a room with reliable wi-fi and so I stayed where I was and used the business centre instead. I also felt that the cleaning left something to be desired -- dirty coffee cups were left behind in my room at least once.
Overall, though, this hotel was just fine. The breakfast was quite good -- oatmeal, waffles, fruit, cereal, pastries, yogurt, etc -- the room was comfortable, and the location is excellent. I don't think I would stay here again,though, unless I was sure that the wi-fi would be more reliable. I am not interested in spending my Sunday night following staff around the hotel with my laptop looking for a reliable connection.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebecca G
Dawn L, General Manager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Rebecca G,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you had to experience spotty Wi-Fi service while staying with us. This winter we completed a full upgrade to our system and have changed all the hardware and the provider to ensure we provide consistent and reliable service for our guests. These days this is one of the most important features of a great hotel and we know how important it is to our guests. We look forward to hearing your feedback on your next visit as we're confident these changes have improved our internet service significantly!

We apologize that you did not find our housekeeping services to be adequate. We have a wonderful new Executive Housekeeper who has really focused the team on attention to detail and we have seen some amazing results.

We are grateful for your feedback as it helps us guide our efforts to more efficiently maximize the experience for our guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Dawn Li

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Great value. Room was up-to-date and beds very comfy; bedding smart; bathroom clean; windows open for fresh air, great security in hotel since the elevator only works with room key. Ask for a room facing away from Whyte Avenue if you want a quiet room. The location was lively and fun -- lots happening on Whyte Avenue, boutiques, stores, coffee shop, restaurants, bars. There's a coffee shop attached to the hotel lobby, the complimentary breakfasts were delicious with lots of choices. The afternoon wine-tasting with cheese snacks was a great bonus. Love the complimentary valet parking.

Room Tip: Whyte Avenue is very lively, especially on the weekend, if you want a quiet room ask for a room faci...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ramblingstone
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night, September 24-25. Reserved one room at the nightly government rate of $119 CAD. I was visiting the University of Alberta and wanted to stay relatively close to the campus (less than 5 minutes by car), and I convinced myself to choose the Varscona based on the exceptional reviews.

I arrived and was promptly checked in. Parking is a little difficult to find if you aren't looking for it. The entrance to the parkade is on Whyte Avenue (82 Avenue) past the hotel and two adjacent restaurants. It is free parking is for guests, and the parkade is connected to the hotel. The parkade is open to the public and not extremely secure, but I had no issues with it during my stay.

My room (408) faced the front of the hotel on 106 Street. It had a king bed, lounge chair, desk, dresser, HD television, pod-style coffee maker and mini-fridge with snacks (for a fee). There were also a couple of bathrobes hanging in the closet, which was a nice touch. Wireless Internet access was free, but my connection was spotty. I was disconnected a few times while sending e-mails to colleagues.

The bathroom was a good size and functional. My pet peeve is having a bathroom without a towel rack, so I could only dry my towels on the single hook at the back of the door. Still, I did enjoy the toiletries, particularly the peppermint shampoo.

There is one elevator in the hotel for six floors, but I never had an issue with waiting to use it. On the second floor is the breakfast room with a waffle maker, oatmeal and selection of cereal, bread and fruit. There is also an automated coffee maker that serves cappuccino and other special coffees. The same room is used for the complimentary nightly wine tasting, but I skipped it when I was there to go watch an Edmonton Oilers hockey game.

The Old Strathcona area is a historic neighbourhood that has a good mix of large shops (Chapters bookstore), antiquated retailers (an old Army & Navy department store), car dealerships (across the street from the hotel) and trendy boutiques. I was frustrated trying to find a postcard in the general vicinity, but fortunately the front desk pointed out a gift shop nearby (Chicken Scratch, 10466 82 Avenue NW) that had some.

I enjoyed my first trip to Edmonton. The location was perfect for my needs, and I would stay there again if my travel was for a similar purpose.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked this hotel for one night while travelling from Jasper to Saskatoon and it was a great place. Initially a problem finding the remote car park but parking out the front enabled us to get directions to the multi storey car park.
Our Room was large and service great. For a change there was good bathroom lighting.
We went out for an evening meal and right outside the door, we found that, being a Friday night, Whyte Ave was buzzing with characters and people seeking a fun night out.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelaleucaPhil
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was really impressed by this hotel, even though it is geared more for the business traveller, and had no pool, the staff was excellent and the room was clean and comfortable. The stay 2 nights and get one free policy was a real blessing for me (it meant I had some extra money to shop on Whyte Avenue with) If the opportunity arises, I will definitely stay here again.. I

Room Tip: Check out the specials!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo