“great place”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Comox, Canada
“great place”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

hubby and i spent four nights at this hotel. its centrally located, the room was spacious and clean...the bed was too hard for us though (personal preference) the Breakfast was fine..the usual offerings....loved the coffee maker in the room...tasty coffee...the pub is accessible from the hotel
great pub!!! the only disappointment was Happy Hour...we were looking forward to that, we had stayed at another hotel that offered this treat, and we really enjoyed the wines and selection of nibbles...unfortunately the same can not be said for the Varscona..wines weren't good, and the selection of cheese was boring. other than that we would stay again when in Edmonton.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to a suite..i tried on our trip but they were all booked
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dawn L, General Manager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear juanita499153,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our rooms and loved the coffee maker! We think it's a wonderful treat for our guests!

We are sorry that you were disappointed in our wine and cheese hour. We will pass along your comments and look to adding some more options in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Dawn Li

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had an awesome stay here and was going to recommended it to everyone but when I went to my vehicle that afternoon after checking out and doing some shopping there was a ticket on my truck which had me confused because my vehicle had been valet parked. I talked with the front desk and they were going to cancel the ticket but I guess that didn't happen since a month later I got a reminder in the mail to pay the parking ticket. So once again I called the hotel and emailed them the ticket and was ensured that this will be taken care of. Well here we are three months later and I have collections after me about this ticket and the hotel is being far from helpful and haven't offered me anything. Very Disappointed!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I go into Edmonton once or twice a year usually to celebrate our anniversary or to see a particular Blues performer on Whyte Ave. This year it was to see an artist. We have stayed at the Metterra and the Varscona both are nice but the staff of the Varscona make it our choice every time. In times past we have always enjoyed the stay and the Whyte Ave experience. This year was not different. The hotel offers and wine and cheese from 1730 to 1830 every day and we usual stop in for a sip and a bit before going out for supper. This time the place was full...that is just fine it means that we need to get there a bit earlier next year. What it does show is that they have become more popular even in the middle of the week...we highly recommend this hotel the price is good and the staff are great they truely do care and they take the time and make the effort to show and help you. From where to eat to an unexpected bottle of wine in our room to assisting with my antique car the departure day as it would not start at first....think I left a light on and killed the battery...they were on the stop to help...we will be returning again and again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear danieldoyle,

We are so pleased that Varscona Hotel on Whyte is your choice of hotel when you come into town! We are lucky enough to have some of the best staff in the industry and are so glad that you experienced first class service.

We had a very busy month so we are glad that the crowds did not deter you from staying with us! We value each one of our guests and are always happy to assist in any way that we can. We know how much a classic car means to its owner so we were just glad to get it up and running again!

We always look forward to your return! We hope to see you again soon!

Varscona Hotel on Whyte
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at Varscona in Edmonton July 13 & 14. Excellent location, and hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and very nice. Not too far from the Edmonton Mall. Would definitely stay here our my next visit to Edmonton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lori_D_11
Dawn L, General Manager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Lori_D_11,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you found your stay enjoyable and friendly! We hope to see you again soon!

Cleveland, England
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the Varscona for three nights, took a week in the sticks then returned to the Varscona again at the end of the trip before flying back to the UK. Air Canada lost our luggage for five days, so when we arrived at the hotel, we just had a small bag and nothing else. The Reception staff gave us a warm welcome and couldnt do enough for us. The rooms were bright and comfortable and after 30 hours of travelling, it was wonderful to slip into a hot bath and then between the lovely Egyptian cotton sheets, while catching up with the news on the huge plasma TV. The complimentary coffee machine was superb and after donning our luxury dressing gowns which were provided, the stresses of our journey melted away. We awoke the next day, from our huge comfy bed and after a filling brekkie, we went out to discover the area. If you are looking for a hotel at the very heart of bohemian city life, then this is the hotel for you. A lovely collection of independant shops and restaurants are right on your doorstep and if you like people watching, this is THE place. Whyte Avenue is busy all day, but really starts bouncing from 6pm - Harleys, Lambos, Cadillacs - cruising down this famous street, which is famed for its great bars and live music venues. O'Byrnes, which is attached to the hotel has superb food, staff and live music - The hotel is within staggering distance of it all. The Varscona is fun, lively and luxurious... We will be back asap!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the Avenue, if you like it a bit quieter at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Springlite,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! After an ordeal with the airline losing your luggage, it's wonderful that you felt so welcomed and comfortable in our hotel! We know how stressful those situations can be!

It's wonderful that you were able to explore the vibrant neighbourhood and experience the incredibly fun O'Byrnes! We are so glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you for this wonderful review! We hope to see you again soon!

BC, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Years ago I lived in Edmonton and this was the 'Inn on Whyte' and/or the Renfrew Inn. It always looked a bit dumpy back then, but that has all changed now! This hotel is completely and tastefully renovated and redecorated. Free parking and good Wifi. The room was comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was really good, plenty of selection, and healthy choices along with the standard high carb stuff. They also have wine and cheese (no additional charge) in the afternoon... nice touch. The only elevator is a bit slow at times, so take the stairs if you are impatient. Whyte Avenue has lots of good places to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dawn L, General Manager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Richard M,

Thank you for your kind review! We are glad that you enjoyed the change from the previous hotel! We certainly like to think we have made some improvements since then! It's wonderful that you were able to experience some of our amenities and extras and that you found our property to be comfortable for your stay! We hope that you will return soon!

Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Booked in here short notice because its location is close to the Jubilee Auditorium where we were going to see the musical Wicked. I'm very glad I tried this hotel even though I didn't have time to read up on it before booking. I reserved and paid through Expedia and when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised when I went in just after noon to enquire about parking. Parking is a hassle in almost any city these days with all the tax frenzied socialists in municipal governments lol
The front desk clerk advised me that because I had Elite status on Expedia they had given me a complimentary upgrade to a suite, my suite was in fact ready and she checked me in, and that I had a late check-out of 2 p.m. After parking the car we took our bags up to the suite and were once again surprised to see we had been given the Varscona suite with complimentary caramel corn and truffles as well as a personal welcoming card. This was a wonderful touch to an already wonderful complimentary upgrade and speaks volumes for the management of this fine hotel.
The Varscona sits on the corner of Whyte Ave and 106 st making it an excellent location for any of the events at or near the university. As a matter of fact we were downtown at the Buskerfest the next day in under 10 mins so this is a great location for many events or for enjoying the many attractions along Whyte Ave.
The parking garage is attached to the hotel and there is a Second Cup, Murrieta's restaurant, as well as a pub I didn't try all accessible from the lobby. The suite was spotless, well furnished, bed and linens very comfortable. The breakfast was average for continental which is the only thing that could be improved in my opinion as I always enjoy a Cora's style breakfast lol. High metabolism hasn't let me down yet :)
Overall exceptional staff attention to detail securing our return any time we return for entertainment at or near the university or Whyte Ave...and I'll put the nice downtown hotel crowd on notice right now...this Varscona is located close enough to take my business for my downtown entertainment as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Warren W,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience our many great amenities! We will definitely take note of your breakfast recommendations for future improvements. We hope to see you again soon!