“A gem located in the heart of whyte avenue”

Varscona Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal, Canada
“A gem located in the heart of whyte avenue”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Stayed at the Varscona Hotel on Whyte for one night while out in business on Edmonton. Solo traveler, mid 20's.

Location: Located on 106th street right off of Whyte Avenue, this hotel is not located in downtown Edmonton. It is closer to the University of Alberta, then it is downtown. If you want convenience to downtown, there are many other hotels located in that region, but if you need to be in the Whyte avenue area, then this hotel is a perfect location. Having said that, any place in Edmonton is accessible via taxi or bus. You can take one bus to the West Edmonton Mall which takes about 25-30min.

Initial Impression: This is a nice, quiet hotel with a standard looking lobby. Second cup, a sunglasses place and a bar and grill are located within the building.The hotel itself is smaller.

Front Desk: Excellent mannerisms and enthusiasm from the front desk staff. Looked like they enjoyed their job and proud to welcome guests to the hotel. Came at 1 oclock and they were able to check me in anyways, 2 hours before check in time.

Room: The room itself was very clean and pretty standard 3 star fare for North American establishments. TV, radio, snacks and refreshments, desk, free wi-fi internet, bathrobes were all part of the room offerings. The bathroom was very clean and although showing signs of age, was functional. The one negative thing I will say about the room is that the heating unit in my room was quite loud and woke me up a couple of times at night, to the point, I had to get up and turn off the heat. Made for an uncomfortable awakening as I was freezing!

Amenities: Hotel itself had room service which I did not utilize. The business center on the main floor was well equipped with new computers and quick internet connections. Free printing and faxing. Also offered are free breakfast and free wine tasting that I did not get a chance to utilize.

Overall Impression: Overall, I believe this is a good value hotel for the business traveler. It is located on Whyte Avenue, about a 15 min walk to the University of Alberta. The rooms are very clean, and business center has everything you need to prepare for that meeting. Staff are excellent and friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Recentely stayed at the Varscona with colleagues. The facilities are very unique, clean and right on Whyte avenue. The underground parking was very convenient and the staff were very helpful.

The room is clean and nice, however you can hear people in the next rooms and street noise as well (even from the 5th floor). The beds are VERY HARD! Reminded me of Mexico. I had to ask for extra pillows as well (only had 2 in my room).

The Irish pub in the hotel is really nifty as well, make sure to check it out!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Excellent small hotel in the middle of everything. Even though Whyte Ave is a busy street, the road noise is minimal. I have stayed here many times with my husband, my daughter, and the whole family. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the complimentary valet parking is excellent and the baking for the continental breakfast is provided fresh from a local bakery. Varscona is my first choice when I go to Edmonton

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Sherwood Park
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Considering this hotel is in Old Strathcona and we were there on a Saturday night, it's very quiet. We walked the streets until 11:00pm and things started getting a bit crazy with all of the drunk kids and car roaring up and down the avenue. But once we got to our room you could not hear a thing. That was a nice surprise. The valet service was very efficient and parking was free. The room itself was a bit small but it was clean and modern. The free breakfast was your standard muffins and toast. Nothing special. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. I did notice guests coming and going with their dogs so if you are allergic, you may want to check with the hotel to make sure you get a pet free room. One thing that did kind of bug me was that the hotel is adjoined to a Second Cup coffee house but it closes at 10:00pm! The place was half full and they kicked everyone out so they could close. We walked down the street and found another one that didn't close until 11:00pm. Nothing against the hotel but someone at Second Cup needs to give their head a shake!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Great location, friendly and welcoming staff from the moment you enter the lobby. Almost like a bed and breakfast feel with the amenities of a hotel. The location on Whyte is great for a leisurely walk in the evening and seeing what Old Strathcona has to offer. The parking is convenient as well as Murietta's (the restuarant) off the lobby, Second Cup, and O'Byrne's pub to satisfy any thirst you may have.

I look forward to the next stay!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 22suzieq
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Stayed for 6 nights at this hotel. The reception was wonderful and helpful as I had made no reservations and gave me a room on the top floor with 2 king-sized beds. For the cost, you get your room, continental breakfast and complimentary wine tasting. The continental breakfast is located on the 2nd level in a hospitality suite so seating might become a problem if there is a group/company staying at the hotel as well. Selection was good and coffee was fantastic. If it wasn't enough, there is always a Second Cup at the lobby which opens from 6.30am till 10pm. I didn't go for the wine-tasting (also on the 2nd level) as it wasn't really my thing. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and there are direct buses to West Edmonton Mall and downtown Edmonton where the LRT is also located. It wasn't noisy even though Whyte Ave was just below. The only gripe I had was the lights in the room was a bit too dim and made it quite difficult to read the computer screen or a book. Housekeeping was perfect!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank deezerness
Calgary
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband and I decided to get away staying three nights at the Varscona Hotel on Whyte. We were so pleased with our visit. The second we arrived the staff was very welcoming, friendly and accommodating. They informed us of all the hotel amenities; valet parking, free wine serving, free breakfast, coffee shop, pubs, etc., as well as the events occurring that weekend.
We were much more grateful when we entered our room. It was beautiful with a speical touch of class. It was very clean and offered everything we needed. The room was kept clean all weekend and anything we needed the staff was willing to take the time to help.
The management really knows how to create a warm and relaxing environment for their guests. Our visit was definitely a pleasurable experience. A home away from home!
No doubt, we will be returning! Thanks again....Oh, and great room service :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple